Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Village87

What is going on with the u20 Management. They have had a panel training for 7 months and bring on 3 minors who were not part of the set up until Sunday. No disrespect to the 3 young lads but they were all well marshalled in the minor final. Very disrespectful to the panel training all year with 35 lads on it. If Kilkenny do not put in a performance v Galway the management have serious questions to ask. This following from a terrible display v Galway last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Do you think the minor management are doing ok?

Because you now think that the U20 and Senior management teams arent doing a good job !? 🙄

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

None of these management teams have had it easy but particularly the underage teams. I know the U20's were looking for gym time before covid and since lockdowns have eased and were getting very little or nothing from the county board. If we can't even give our under 20's gyms to work in then how do expect to compete with the likes of Galway. Also how do we expect them to be ready to make the step up to senior. Anyway I've said my piece on all this many times before. Hopefully the new gym in Kierans will start to address some of the issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭therealdonster

Christ Johnny Murphy is the ref Saturday..

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ashplant

Any word on the team for tomorrow

• Advertisement

Wouldn't expect it until between 8 and 9 this evening

KK v DUB

E Murphy

T Walsh H Lawlor P Deegan

D Corcoran P Walsh C Browne

R Reid A Mullen

J Donnelly M Keoghan B Ryan

E Cody TJ Reid A Murphy

Subs

D Brennan

J Holden

D Mullen

M Carey

J Maher

C Buckley

C Fogarty

R Leahy

W Walsh

J Bergin

R Hogan

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭Alonzo Moseley

Thanks, great to see Hogan back in subs and like the move of Mullen to midfield.

3-4 lads picked who must be close to last chance saloon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ashplant

Not sure if I have this boards set up right but there dosnt seem to be much comments since the change over to a new thread or maybe there just isn't as much interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

This long puck out is not working out at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

This is absolutely septic.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭johnnyfruitcake

Leahy has to come off, mistake after mistake.

Billy Ryan is the usual again, fumbling the ball.

Surprised we're ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭usualstripes

Our delivery into forwards again is very poor. How is it also that our forwards can't get onto the same space as Dublin forwards. Some of eoin Murphys puckouts are crazy. Especially when we can't win a high ball in our half forward line.

Here's hoping for a few changes to our play. Billy Ryan finding it difficult to get on to of control the ball. Would expect him or mossy to make way in 2nd half.

James maher struggling too. As is Richie leahy. Tries to get past too many lads. Come on lads.Simple stuff. Quick possession. Quick delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭me89

The puckouts are killing us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭kksaints

We're not playing well and we really need to reconsider our puckouts. Dublin are cleaning them up. We're also not using the spare man in the backline well at all. There's far too much space for the Dublin forwards at times and there's been a worrying number of potential 1on1s. Still we're ahead by 3.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Two bang average teams imo.

We're a woefully coached team. No plan. No clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭bamayang

Fair play to Alan Murph and Carey, big impact

Handy enough win in the wind up. I'd just like to see more in the way of movement form our full forward line and better delivery into them. Can't be too critical but we have to manage our deliveries and movement better. Padraig walsh had a quiet day. Although maher scored some excellent points I'm a little wary of him being turned. Thought tommy walsh, deegan and especially huw lawlor did well as did Michael Carey and buckley when introduced. Don't be surprised to see Richie hogan getting game time in semi final. We're in a good position now having a break for 3 weeks. Let's hope we make it count.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭kksaints

Comfortable enough win in the end. We played a more varied game in the 2nd half, puckouts were mixed instead of bombed straight down, we played much more of a running game although how much of that was down to Dublin tiring is open to question. Huw Lawlor had a good game and Maher while he was a little shaky defensively was excellent on the ball. Still a little too reliant on TJ in the forward line and while Eoin Cody is developing very nicely and he played well, we need the other starting forwards to delivery more consistent performances. Would agree with usualstripes, our full forward line is lacking in movement at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭Rosita

Yeah, semi final will be an enormous step up from what was played today, or the last day either. The revertion to the long ball when under stress is probably and early sign of how it will unravel in the end.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Carey was lucky to stay on the pitch in my opinion after that head-to-head shot on Boland.

Don't know if it would have made a difference to the result but either way I've seen nothing to believe we'll win it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭blackcard

A win is a win. Plenty of effort and endeavor. Positives were Huw Lawlor. Thought Paddy Deegan played well. Adrian Mullen put in a serious shift. Eoin Cody got on plenty of ball. TJ is the best freetaker in the country imo

Negatives. Out of all the teams competing for the Liam McCarthy, we are the worst at making good use of possession. i have great time for Bllly Ryan but the end result isn't there for the moment. We didn't create goal chances

Food for thought. TJ hasn't been involved in open play as much as you would like. Colin Browne out for the next match? Richie Leahy gets bottled up too much.

I found last night very disappointing. I genuinely wonder what we're doing in training because bar the fundamentals like work rate etc. we are so bad to watch.

Our puck outs, Jesus Christ our puck outs. This is intercounty hurling, the highest level, and our half forward line are nearly always having to reverse 5-10 yards just to contest a ball in the air. I'd love to see our puck out stats for the last 5 years because they can't be good reading. Is it so hard to manufacture a situation where we put a puck out in front of someone. Nobody moves and Murphy just wellies it. It's bizarre.

We've also just reverted to type on our delivery to the forwards. Gone are the lovely low diagonal balls into the corner for an inside forward to move onto them sideways and replaced with, if we're lucky, a diagonal ball up in the **** sky.

We have the best hurler in the country, arguably ever, and we should have a plan to isolate him and get the ball into his hand in open play as much as possible and we don't seem to be doing that either.

Dublin lost O Donnell after 2 minutes and the Covid players before the game. That game last night should never have been a contest. Mentally we should've had them beaten after 20 minutes but we left them in the game for far too long.

Obviously it's a results business and we won comfortably in the end but the performance was desperate and I'd have zero confidence in beating anyone off the back of that.

Whether its the management not having a plan or the players just unable to implement it on the field I don't know but it's depressing either way. I'm under no illusions of what we are now, which is a semi final team, but we need to seriously up our game because last night was awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 KK Supercats

Hard to disagree with what has been said on last nights match. Puck outs dreadful again leading to forwards trying to break even at best from our own possession or knock ball into space to recycle. TJ being double and tripled marked but the space that should be created from this is not being used at all. Work rate cannot be faulted. Dublin were weakened with covid issue and often played with just the two inside forwards which should have allowed us an opportunity to work possession forward in a managed way but that didn’t seem to happen. Unfortunately I don’t think we will be close to Tipp, Limerick or maybe even Galway (depending on how they bounce back). I would love to be wrong but cannot see us getting any further than semi final this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

Carey got a serious slap before that and the Dublin player should have getting his walking papers .

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Swamp_Cat

I really like Richie Leahy but he wasn't getting bottled up due to the opposition as much as constantly taking too much out of it & or running into dead ends & coughing up possession. Poor decision making. He's a talented hurling w/a huge engine but he's got to improve his decision making and spacial awareness. Seen him looking like Cian Lynch when playing for his club. Is he just not up to IC championship standards? Curious what people who are more in the know think. I hope he can become a bit more consistent/intelligent on the ball.

Where's Evan Shefflin been? Not sure his age but is he playing any IC hurling? Assume he's in the U20 age bracket, but just a guess.

Julie catch a rabbit by its hare...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭brookville

Evan shefflin isn't on the panel

First of all well done last night.We all would of taken this a few months ago.It was very unfortunate for Dublin last night with the close contact cases and eoghan o donnell only lasting a few minutes but to their credit they battled hard but lacked the killer instant especially in attack.They sat back deep smothering our forwards and we were able shoot from distance and maher took his scores very well and had a good tussle with Sutcliffe.

I was at the match and our forwards were making runs and players were getting isolated but the ball coming in was dreadful at times a bit like our puckouts seem to hang for ages.If the players didn't realise this wasn't working would the guys doing the stats not realise this?

Alan Murphy showed some great touches when he came on and has being a good sub and the others played well when they came on.

Browne will probably be gone the next day but carey has some burst of pace going forward .Disappointing that our midfield replaced again and Billy Ryan probably better suited coming on when the game opens up.

We know we have to improve we have 3 weeks to get things right everyone knows that maybe it's not the worst way to go into a semi final as I said we would of taking this a few months ago and our panel is probably a bit stronger than it was last year.Its a pity Richie Hogan didn't get ten minutes last night but delaney should be back on the squad the next day.

Advertisement