Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin - BusConnects

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭xper

Interchanges, now Bus Stations, will be delivered ahead of the Core Bus Corridors to help with the delivery of the Bus Network Redesign.

Some stations; Tallaght, Blanchardstown, Liffey Valley and UCD are already commenced planning and design for construction by private land owners, which will be then handed over to the NTA without the need for CPO

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1410561427656617984?s=20

Is it? Could it be? Yep, that's a sawtooth bus bay design I spy!
    Miracles will never cease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,226 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Will these have toilet facilities for drivers and the public??

A good idea

Interchanges, now Bus Stations, will be delivered ahead of the Core Bus Corridors to help with the delivery of the Bus Network Redesign.

Some stations; Tallaght, Blanchardstown, Liffey Valley and UCD are already commenced planning and design for construction by private land owners, which will be then handed over to the NTA without the need for CPO

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1410561427656617984?s=20

I think this was always the case. Early drafts of bus connects said that some infrastructure would be provided along with the network revisions namely relocating bus stops closer to junctions to facilitate better interchange and provide suburban hubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭yascaoimhin

cgcsb wrote: »
    I think this was always the case. Early drafts of bus connects said that some infrastructure would be provided along with the network revisions namely relocating bus stops closer to junctions to facilitate better interchange and provide suburban hubs.

The movement of bus stops closer to junctions was always part of the network redesign that's correct as those changes can be ade by the local authority without planning or consultation.

But there was never confirmation until now that the Bus Stations would be done separately from the Corridors as that's where the designs for them showed up to begin with.

Tallaght, Liffey Valley, UCD and Blanchardstown are all progressed as there's less planning needed as they're being down by the landowners themselves on their own land.

But upgrading Termini like Charlestown, Dún Laoghaire, Dundrum, Clongriffin, Bray, the Airport may require changes to road width which would necessitate a Part 8 Planning application.

The movement of bus stops closer to junctions was always part of the network redesign that's correct as those changes can be ade by the local authority without planning or consultation.

But there was never confirmation until now that the Bus Stations would be done separately from the Corridors as that's where the designs for them showed up to begin with.

Tallaght, Liffey Valley, UCD and Blanchardstown are all progressed as there's less planning needed as they're being down by the landowners themselves on their own land.

But upgrading Termini like Charlestown, Dún Laoghaire, Dundrum, Clongriffin, Bray, the Airport may require changes to road width which would necessitate a Part 8 Planning application.

You're right, I had heard it before but it wasn't made official. I heard it from my source in the NTA and I think it was openly posted here a couple of times if memory serves but we're talking maybe 3 years ago at this stage. Time flies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Any word on what stage the ones in UCD, Blanch, etc. are at? I passed by the UCD N11 entrance yesterday and there wasn't any signs of work being done - I'd imagine it's still in the planning stages.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭densification

https://twitter.com/oconnoroisin/status/1410876608848797698?s=21

Confirmation that the NTA are ploughing ahead with their own experimental junction design.

I had hoped a pro-cycling minister would change this but I don’t think he’s interfering in the project in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Just on that tweet on the presentations being made to DLR councilors. There is a new proposal & public consultation been released by the council recently that will make improvements to walking & cycling infrastructure that will be from St. Augustines School on the Stillorgan Park Road right up on the traffic light island near Patrician Villas which is on the Stillorgan N11 bypass.

I got a leaflet from Barry Ward of FG this week to say that there are 2 pdf documents & a online submission form to give views on the proposal.

This project will cover improvements like adding upgraded bus stops on existing stops for new busconnects routes like the L25, P11 & P12.

Link to PDF drawings are here.

Here's the rest of the proposed improvements that are being provided along with the upgraded bus stops.
    Scheme Details

In line with the requirements of the National Cycle Manual and the Design Manual for Urban Roads and Streets, the main works to be carried out as part of the proposed scheme include the following:
    • The provision of raised and adjacent or fully off-road cycle tracks on both sides of the road. The development of segregated cycle routes will provide a safer environment for cyclists.
    • The provision of two new controlled pedestrian crossings along the route near to Stillorgan Park Avenue and Coppinger Glade junctions.
    • A new footway in Patrician Villas to provide a link to the underpass leading to the N11.
    • Smoother transitions for cyclists through junctions and through the roundabout at Park Villas.
    • Better access to side roads from the off-road cycle tracks using a cyclist ramp.
    • Narrowing of road widths along the road to make it easier for cyclists to cross at junctions.

https://dlrcoco.citizenspace.com/transportation/stillorgan-park-road-cycle-track-improvements/

I'm predicting the first legal battle in the making with the bus corridors. The development of a new 'Go' petrol station on Old Cabra road which is planned to be controlled access, bus and bike only is currently underway (almost complete). Seems a little sketchy that a business that depends on cars happening to pass by will open up only 2 years or so before that passing trade is completely removed. Where it's located, it will be possible for cars to access on the northbound side of the road if they travel via Glenbeigh Road (but who does that unless you live there?).

I don't really get how someone in 2021 thought opening a new petrol station anywhere inside the M50 made good long term business sense but they would have surely based their business model on current passing trade and I suspect paid little attention to the proposed bus corridor plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

Well that just sounds like poor business planning, the documentation on Busconnects has been available in some form for a few years at this stage, can imagine a Judge would dismiss it fairly easily

• Advertisement

Sure, if we were certain of a rational, well thought out judgement based on facts but that's a rare occurrence in this country. Judges are now making all sorts of planning decisions on residential and transport projects.

There's some new redesigned Set Down Only bus stop poles put up in Abbey St recently. I think it's looks really neat.

The only issue that I have with it is that the typography displaying Abbey Street Lower in Irish is a little bit big around the sides.

But other than that; it looks like a really decent job.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Looks great, in my opinion they've done a great job on the new bus stops and signs. Agree on the Irish name, it's like the graphic design guys weren't told that a centimetre or two of the sign would be inside the pole. Hopefully they get some feedback on it for future signs.

I just seen all the bus shelters on O'Connell Street, very nice I have to say. The area still needs a serious clearout of undesireables though, felt like I was in Barcelona with the clamy weather, trams, beggars/gypsies/addicts and decent bus stops.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

It's a reopening of a closed one, rather than totally new which does make the rationale a tiny bit more solid. Barely though

It is a completely new structure, paving, machines, signage etc. I know it's staffless so that gets rid of a lot of overheads but even still hardly a money spinner if your only customers are people who live there and happen to need fuel while competing with the Circle K around the corner. Then of course the residents are well healed enough to switch to electric cars any day now and actually I notice a lot of leafs and konas in the area.

Also surely the site is worth a lot in a housing crisis in a residential area, just look at the scale of development on the Carnlough road site. There'll be tears over this no doubt, someone put a lot of eggs in a very precariously placed basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Received the following as an email update:

Dear Community Forum Member, 

We hope you are keeping well and safe.

This email is a further status update in relation to the BusConnects Dublin Core Bus Corridors.

Current Status

As you will all be aware, the NTA completed its third round of non-statutory public consultation on the Core Bus Corridor projects in December 2020. Since then, we have reviewed and considered all submissions and are currently finalising the preliminary design of each of the Core Bus Corridor schemes. In addition, Environmental Impact Assessment Reports, inclusive of traffic impact analyses, are being prepared for each scheme. Once finished, these reports will be the basis for our applications to An Bord Pleanála, together with the Compulsory Purchase Order Schedules and Maps, with specific details of lands which are proposed to be acquired.

During May and June a pre-application consultation process was undertaken with An Bord Pleanála in accordance with the relevant legislation. This was an advance consultation procedure which precedes the submission of the intended applications for the Schemes.

Preliminary Business Case

A Preliminary Business Case for the overall BusConnects Dublin programme has been submitted to the Department of Transport for its review and for Government decision in accordance with the Public Spending Code governing capital projects.

Under the Public Spending Code, Government approval of the Preliminary Business Case is required prior to the submission of the applications for approval pursuant to section 51 of the Roads Act 1993 (as amended) to An Bord Pleanála. Accordingly, the timing of the submission of the applications for approval in respect of the individual Core Bus Corridor schemes is linked to the Government’s approval of the business case document.

It is intended that the Preliminary Business Case will be published subsequent to the Government having completed its consideration and issued its determination relating to the document.  

Applications to An Bord Pleanála for Approval

Assuming a positive determination of the Preliminary Business Case, it is intended to submit applications for approval to An Bord Pleanála as quickly as is feasible thereafter, most likely during October/November of this year. This triggers a formal statutory public consultation process in respect of each of the stand-alone Core Bus Corridor schemes, with submissions to be made directly to An Bord Pleanála for their consideration.

During this process, the finalised Environmental Impact Assessment Reports, inclusive of traffic impact analyses, will be published and available for inspection (including online) and purchase. The public will then have the formal opportunity to have their views heard and considered by An Bord Pleanála as part of the statutory consultation process to inform An Bord Pleanála’s assessment of each of the stand-alone Core Bus Corridor schemes.

Environmental Impact Assessment Screening Reports

The particular characteristics of the Kimmage to City Centre Core Bus Corridor Scheme and the Lucan to City Centre Core Bus Corridor Scheme means that those two schemes don’t automatically trigger the requirement for an Environmental Impact Assessment under the Roads Act 1993 (as amended) or under the Roads Regulations 1994 (as amended). However, in line with the relevant legislative provisions, an Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) Screening Report has been prepared in respect of each of these two schemes. 

The determinations arising from those EIA Screening Reports, have concluded that each of these two schemes are likely to have significant environmental impacts and that, accordingly, an Environmental Impact Assessment Report is required to be prepared for each of the Kimmage to City Centre Core Bus Corridor Scheme and the Lucan to City Centre Core Bus Corridor Scheme and each are to be submitted to An Bord Pleanála for approval under section 51 of the Roads Act 1993 (as amended). 

The EIA Screening Determination and the EIA Screening Report for the Kimmage to City Centre Core Bus Corridor Scheme are available on the BusConnects website at https://busconnects.ie/initiatives/core-bus-corridor/kimmage-to-city-centre/ and copies are available for inspection by members of the public.

In addition, the EIA Screening Determination and the EIA Screening Report for the Lucan to City Centre Core Bus Corridor Scheme are available on the BusConnects website at https://busconnects.ie/initiatives/core-bus-corridor/lucan-to-city-centre/ and copies are available for inspection by members of the public. 

For the avoidance of doubt, Environmental Impact Assessment Reports are automatically required to be prepared in respect of the remaining Core Bus Corridor schemes, which will also be submitted to An Bord Pleanála.

Further Updates

It is the NTA’s intention to issue another update prior to submitting planning applications to An Bord Pleanala, which, as advised above, we expect to occur during October / November, assuming Government approval of the Preliminary Business Case for the BusConnects Programme. We will be in contact with you then and update you further at that point.

Regards,

BusConnects Team,

National Transport Authority

• That screening report is incredible, for all the wrong reasons.

It seems like whoever wrote it has about the same grasp as to what 'significant' means in the relevant legislation as Mr Justice Charless Meenan does.

I'd suggest everyone read pages 31-32 of the Kimmage Screening Report if you want to be disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭specialbyte

I'm not surprised TBH. It has always been the NTA's intention to apply to ABP using the EIA process. That's the expectation they have always set with the communities along the corridors since day one. I suspect some NTA staff might have been surprised to find that neither CBC6 Lucan or CBC11 Kimmage automatically require an EIA. Screening reports always tend to air on the side of caution anyway. It's safer to opt yourself into the EIA process than find out later that either ABP or a judge things you messed up the screening report if you're borderline. Given the NTA has always set the expectation that the EIA process was the plan and that it's safer to opt into the full EIA process, the biggest delay here is that the NTA needed to employ people to write a 30+ page EIA screening report. If they had automatically qualified it would have been a one line explanation at the start of the EIA scoping report and the EIA report.

I also suspect that the assessment of the cumulative impacts of the multiple BusConnects schemes is likely to be a target of litigation for whichever of these lucky CBCs get challenged in the High Court. It's the part of the BusConnects project that is most novel. That means it's likely the area where there isn't strong case law to guide the EIA teams.

Considering the amount of CPOs involved and the tree removal, I think airing on the side of caution and crossing their t's and dotting their i's is a good use of time

• Advertisement

• CPOs and tree removals don't trigger an EIA, at least not unless they're either in a designated protected habitat or in an incredibly large number. 'significant' doesn't mean 50 or 100 or 200 in the context of e.g. 10km.

There's also no shortage of case law on EIAs in the UK and Europe (UK is where Irish justices tend to look in the absence of Irish examples).

It isn't erring on the side of caution when setting repeated precedents as to what they consider requires an EIA or not - it's dangerous and damaging.

The C Spine will now launch at the end of Novemeber.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Looks great with the minimalised design to allow all the extra ad space, just what our city centres needed

I know of one road project which is located near the 18 bus terminus near the entrance of Roslyn Park College/Rehab Head office on the Beach Road in Sandymount. There is a small roundabout there that is meant to be replaced for a new pedestrian junction before work begins on redeveloping the old Rehab site into two new VEC schools for the area.

The new C1/C2 routes are meant to be travelling along that road, like the 1 currently does at the moment, so they can terminate their routes at St. John's Church. The 47 bus also passes through that road from the City Centre to Belarmine. Of course this road is also where the new proposed cycle lane from DCC is meant to be constructed as well.

Are these road projects in Sandymount one of the main reasons why it has delayed Phase 2 of BusConnects?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

I emailed Eamon Ryan to complain about recent delays to large public transport investment projects. I got a long detailed email in reply. Here was the part relating to BusConnects.

"On BusConnects, all non-statutory public consultations on the Core Bus Corridors (the bus lanes) are now complete. Work is ongoing on preparation of the planning application documentation, including Environmental Impact Assessment Reports. Planning applications are expected to be submitted to An Bord Pleanála in Q1 2022, subject to Government approval.

The roll out of the BusConnects Network Redesign has already begun, with the launch of the first phase of the plan - the H-Spine along the Howth to City Centre corridor - in June 2021. The second phase – the C-Spine from Lucan to Ringsend via the city centre – is scheduled for launch in Q4 2021."

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Work started on Liffey Valley interchange Station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So will all the buses going past Liffey, such as the 66/67/25A etc call at this interchange?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Apparently the Road Traffic and Roads Bill 2021 contains "Legislation to support more rapid implementation of BusConnects", as briefly mentioned here;

Advertisement