Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

There's a bookmark icon at the very top click it to subscribe to the thread:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,452 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Another nit picking gripe when viewing on a desktop in chrome why do I need a massive border on the right? If I make the page narrower the "boarder" remains. It would be much better if you could size the window to get rid of the border altogether.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

By this stage I would have expected a banner page that everyone sees with some updates on what work is in progress and hints and tips to help with the change.

Edit> Test edit to see if there is any notification made on the post to show the thread has been edited?

Edit2> So that works now wondering how long you have for ninja edits?

Post edited by The Continental Op on

I'd say they are leaving the "style sheets" work until after the major functionalities have been remedied. The icing on the cake won't take too long when it comes to it, but takes a little consideration and trial so as to look right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭sporina

Please please please please bring back the old site - its 2021 - a technological change is suppose to be for the better! I cannot even begin to describe how bad this is. I am sure you are all aware of the plethora of flaws - actually - its barely functioning like this - its like one big flaw.

Boards has won awards in the past - how could you have destroyed it like this????

Just bring back the old site and we can pretend that this never happened. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

My Boards usage has plummeted since the update went live. It used to be so easy to get to my threads and see what was read or unread. Not the case anymore.

The mobile site is near unusable. I went to use it last night and couldn't figure out to get to my threads, so I gave up and went to reddit.

I'm also noticing threads that I'm in which are usually very active haven't had posts in days since the new platform went live.

Appreciate this is a mammoth task, but it's frustrating for your users, without whom you don't have a site (or a product).

And you've taken away the precious :pac: so there's that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Doodah7

What sort of rubbish is this??? The site is better and then you go on to list a load of faults??

And it is the attitude of 'sure we are where we are' that gets my back up. We are where we are due to some gross incompetence/arrogance of the site owners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Site owners who neither have the love nor the dedication to the site that the original owners, users and everyone else who made this what it was back in the mid to late 2000s had.

People back then (owners, Admin, Mods) really seemed to have a "we're all here together" feel and attitude - that's gone, and the absolute lack of meaningful interaction from people like Odhran and his team is indicative of that.

They simply don't care at all, we, the users, are their content creators. We are the ones who drive interactions and "clicks", but to them they can just willy-nilly destroy the experience and expect people to suck it up.

I really don't understand the attitude of some people who aren't on the payroll either, constant need to "look good" and defend the indefensible.

Why was this a rush-job? Why was it launched as a beta testing ground? What are Vanilla actually doing here, because we were told that there's ONE developer trying to fix this disgraceful situation.

Why is Odhran or one of his team not posting here regularly telling the users what exactly is going on.

They have nothing but contempt for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,974 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

My boards use has effectively been reduced to this thread, trying to figure it all out!!

Someone above suggested a cheat list of new terms on the new site that refer (exactly or near enough) to stuff we were used to on the old one - discussions, categories etc - great suggestion!

You do now get a notification when someone quotes / mentions you, which is nice.

The gaping white spaces when quoting posts has been resolved. So there's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

I can't read it for more than twenty minutes without getting a splitting headache even with the brightness on my phone turned down to almost nothing.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Morning all. Please know that we are reading all of these replies to the thread but we simply don't have time to reply to each post individually. That is why Odhran posted one update last night with everything that had been worked on yesterday. More has been resolved overnight and more being worked on today.

A couple of users mentioned that the State Benefits forum was closed to new posts, that has now been fixed as of a few minutes ago. If you see any others like this, please PM me or post here. (ETA that this does not appear to be fixed for everyone, still looking at it now)

Thanks to the users posting How Tos for other users here, that is very helpful. I started working on a basic users guide yesterday and will post it later today even if it is still a work in progress.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Niamh on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭GBX

There was a post in this thread by Odhran saying they had to rectify this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Thanks, but it didn't work. I'll just have to do something productive because I can only manage a few minutes on here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Regarding finding your threads you can just use https://boards.ie/discussions/bookmarked which appears to replicate the old Subscribed threads list.

Clicking your avatar (top right on desktop) and then clicking Bookmarks brings you to the same list.

Missed that - (insert frown smiley that we no longer have)

But just noticed another issue to nit pick and complain about - the link in the quotes, why do we need it in full surely a link to an icon like the older version would be much better and remove two lines from the quote?

• Advertisement

It is kind of entertaining and funny reading people losing their sh!t over the change. 😀

It's not ideal currently but it's definitely improving as they're going and they're taking feedback on board (pun intended).

I think once the really kind of annoying things are ironed out people will gradually get used to the new format and appreciate more the good things that have been added.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Anytime i "LIKE" a post i get this

Why is it so hard to find anything !!

Notifications + Thread responses are not good.

Pic upload is a massive improvement though!

But unless it becomes a bit more user friendly, i wont be on here much more, and im sure a lot of others feel the same!

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

Yes, no point in working on the decoration until the structure is fully in place, too many people these days don't have the patience to wait for something to be completed.

Too much of the "I want it all and I want it now" culture.

Thanks for this. A little odd that commenting doesn't automatically bookmark it.

But again as is the theme with most users' comments, it's three clicks to get to a page that used to take just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

I came back on to the site with an open mind and don’t mind change personally but I’m finding it very hard to navigate or find anything. As a result I’ve barely been using the site since it came back, except for checking this thread.

• As mentioned already, followed forums need to come back. It’s how I used the site 95% of the time.
    • List forums at the top of search instead of just threads.
    • I know there was never a dark mode on the touch site but it would be really welcome.
    • Any post not from today just displays the date and not the time. Should have both.
    • There is no way to go back to the first page of a thread (unless I’m missing it). I had to go page by page back yesterday to see was the OP updated. Could you put the first page on every page indicator or even have <<>> for going to the first and last pages of a thread and <> for moving one page at a time?

• Registered Users Posts: 60,439 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Not being able to edit my profile is a disgrace and I cannot even close my account if I want now which is surely a breach of GDPR.

All this because there is a space between my screen name.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭Homelander

It's not great in terms of functionality. Slow and some aspects are more clunky now. I don't mind change and accept the site needed it but I have barely used it since it came back. I'll give it a week or two and see how it shapes up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Have we a full known issues list outside of the OP? Can definitely see fixes coming in by-by-bit. Would be great to see what's listed to avoid duplication / echoing what others have reported..

Curious re: Search -> not getting any results for old threads. There was a Bargain Alert from last year, just got a random $10 refunds on it from Jan 2020, need to alert the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

Nope. They told us yesterday that they were going to mess around with the stylesheets first, because it was easy, and they'd get around to the other stuff ... eventually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,025 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Changes to platforms and systems are often driven by changes in technology and I think that's what has driven this one. It gets to the stage where an "old" system, however reliable, becomes increasingly difficult to support. From my experience of organisational change, people are often suspicious or begrudging of changes. Sometimes, it is necessary to accept the need for change and to try and embrace it, and, where relevant, look for the positives in the changes. I mainly use Boards on a PC, believe it or not! There are undoubtedly annoying aspects to this changeover, most of which I think have been mentioned by now. I'm afraid to view it on my mobile, given some of the horror stories! From what I can see, the Boards team are doing their best behind the scenes to iron out the major issues. I think we will just have to be patient and hopefully we will move on from this. I'm sure the Boards team will learn a few valuable lessons from this experience too.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement