Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

We landed on Mars... again? [Mod note post #1]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

So I was watching Richard Branson in his "monumental" space flight at the weekend. What did all you space fans think of this?? One of, if not the most entertaining space related news stories of the year for me (so much better than the Mars rover's pictures of rocks and more rocks)

I was delighted to get some exposure to reams of Virgin commercial opportunities. I've already switched to Virgin broadband, ditched netflix and amazon prime for Virgin Media set top box. The ode to Range Rover (Virgin's utility vehicle of choice I'll have you know) brought a tear to my eye it did (I may not get to space but maybe one day I could afford a 1992 Range Rover. One day.) Not to mention Under Armour's slick space suits! How flash! Such Stitching! Very Insulation! And the cherry on top - original music by Khalid! Yes you heard it, Original music by none other than Khalid! played exclusively directly into the ear drums (via space-ear-buds) of the space tourists during their first flight into space. What a privilege that must have been. Thankfully Khalid didn't leave us peasants out and played a live score to us as Richard was getting out of the space ship. Some other celebeliciousness there too with none other than Stephen Colbert! Who doesn't love Stephen Colbert?!

So many plot holes in the whole event I lost count all the way through. NASA, SpaceX, Virgin Galactic, ESA all need to get into one room more often and get their story straight. It's embarrassing.

So we had Richard Branson get into space for 40 seconds at 53 miles and had the privalege of passing that millimeter thick boundary line of where we go from having gravity to where we have no gravity (because that's how it works in a world where everyone believes whatever the fk they are told)

So how are we going to explain our way out of this one? I have the popcorn out.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Hi. You're back on this thread.

Before you try and deflect to a new tangent could you please go back and address some of the dozens of points you've left hanging?

Or if you aren't capable of doing that could you perhaps explain why you are ignoring them and running away?

If you do that then we can tackle your latest claims.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

What is the latest claim after that long post? Richard Branson didn't make it to space becuse his company's sell broadband and TV connections?

Don't understand the claim that you are trying to make here.

Also something about how the fact that he was in zero gravity shows that it's fake.

It looks like Mark here thinks that everyone believes that there's no gravity in space and that starts at the Karmin Line.

This kind of betrays either a flat earther level of understanding or a very poor and dishonest misrepresentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

in space, no one can hear you scream your name

• Registered Users Posts: 40,101 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

• Registered Users Posts: 17,743 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

There are "plot holes" in Bransons flight, so what really happened according to you?

You write they go from gravity to "no gravity", how does it work according to you?

And back to the glaring questions

Do you believe the space program is fake? yes/no

Do you believe the earth is not a globe? yes/no

Lol! All of you actually believe he went to space! You are a persistent bunch, I'll give you that

Even Bezos publicly declared that he did not go to space and you still blindly believe everything you are told

Bezos hasn't gone anywhere yet. He is going as far as the Kármán Line so he will be in space depending on the definition you use. Branson only went to 80,000KM so still the edge of space according to some. Where do you think the Earth ends and space begins?

• Advertisement

Yes. We believe this because it's true. You haven't presented a coherent or rational argument why anyone should doubt it. Additionally you seem to not understand basic science concepts like how gravity and free fall work.

Could you perhaps explain why you are ignoring questions and running away? What to you think this is accomplishing beyond making yourself and your fellow conspiracy theorists look silly?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Is there any chance you, Markus Antonius, could actually outline what exactly it is you believe and why you believe it so we can figure out just what conspiracy you are actually on about. So far all I'm getting form your posts is "I don't believe anything, ha ha you poor deluded fools". If you want to wake us up, you'll need to explain what exactly it is you are trying to say.

if they did that they would then have to defend their position and that is too much effort.

Okay, so what is really happening according to you? Without innuendo, what do you believe exactly?

As ohnonotgmail said, he probably won't be doing that.

Partly because it's too much effort for him.

Partly because he's probably learned that people's eyes glaze over when he's honest about his beliefs. (Most likely flat eartherism given his statements and general lack of scientific knowledge.)

And partly because the conspiracy mongers he's swallowing stuff from don't actually present him with a coherent narrative. They only present these ridiculous points and "questions" with nothing to actually tie them together to sucker in a wide and gullible audience base. Those conspiracy mongers trust that Marky and his fellow travelers aren't going to think to much about the conspiracy theory.

I have no interest in convincing anyone of anything. Especially not 95% of the people on the conspiracy forum who clearly loath conspiracy theories and don't believe a single thing unless it comes from "Official Government Sources".

I just get a good laugh at the blatant inconsistencies of all the space programs/missions and like to point them out here. The fact that I even have to explain why the Branson "space" flight is fake just goes to show how gullible or maybe just disinterested people are in general.

Gravity, according to Newton's Law of Gravitation should only reduce a miniscule amount at 200 miles (where the ISS supposedly is) and at 53 miles (where Branson supposedly went). In the Branson stream they claimed repeatedly to pass into the region where gravity is zero (which of course is impossible) and of course the footage in the cabin showed the "astronauts" floating around enjoying the endless wonders of zero gravity! That is of course until they entered back into a region where gravity magically turns back into 9.81m/s2 after 40 seconds...

It's hilarious and I can't wait to see what Bezo's interpretation of what space is during his "space flight"

These are all excuses and mental gymnastics just so that a) you don't have to present your beliefs or b) answer questions on them

It's a common phenomenon here: people with a belief that is so extreme even they know just outlining it exposes how absurd it is, so they use all sorts of deceptive means to hide it and shelter it from any sort of challenge or questions

They appeared weightless because they flew in a parabolic arc. the same can be achieved at much lower altitudes than Branson flew. Here are some technical details of how that works. Let me know what in particular you think is wrong https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2598414/

But you haven't provided any examples of any inconsistencies. You keep running away when you're asked to provide them.

Also, you again display a complete lack of understanding.

Gravity is not "reduced" at any distance. The acceleration due to gravity is. Additionally it is not "reduced to a miniscule amount" at the height of the ISS (It's actually there. You can see it at certain points.) At the height of the ISS the acceleration due to gravity is about 90% what it is at the surface of the Earth (Which is round, BTW.)

Additionally, no one "claimed repeatedly to pass into the region where gravity is zero" This is a lie on your part. You have had to lie several times in this thread.

The reason why people float in the ISS and on flights like Bransons has nothing to do with there being no gravity.

So Could you please explain how you believe the flight was faked?

Or will you also ignore this question like you have with all of the others?

I believe you're ignoring them because you can't answer them and you aren't honest enough to admit this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,621 ✭✭✭✭josip

No, he's saying that if Richard Branson can make it 85km up, why can't the rest of us make it to the moon and NASA put men on Mars.

• Advertisement

Because there is no will to spend the money to do so.

So you are saying he didn't go to space? CONSPIRACY THEORISSTTTT!!!!!

I don't understand the point being made here. A company with huge resources has spent a long time testing and creating a craft capable of getting to the edge of space and return safely, for the purpose of space tourism. Another company will fly a tourist around the moon in a few years. Landing tourists on the moon is a much larger step, and likewise landing on Mars.

I already answered that. Perhaps you could honestly answer the question I asked you? To wit:

Where do you think the Earth ends and space begins?

This is what you're claiming though.

Weird that you post this rather than address any point to you.

Why? What are you afraid of in answering some questions directly?

If you can't answer them, why can't you just say that? It's not like doing so will make you look more silly.

He did. Different countries and entities have different definitions of where "space starts". The most common one has been the Karman line, which is 100km up, Branson's craft flew just under this, and Bezos craft will fly just over it. In a scientific sense space starts at about 80km to 90km up.

Where do you think earth ends and space begins? You are the one defending this ridiculousness. First you say that Branson went to 80,000Km which you said that some claim is "edge of space". So you are saying he did not go to space then? Which is in contradiction to NASA and the opinion of countless space scientists?

so you dont think he went up there at all? what exactly is your position?

Reminder, you have claimed that all space missions are faked.

You also are a flat earther by all indications.

Why is what we're saying so ridiculous?

If its ridiculous, why do you have to keep dodging every point and question put to you?

We're able to address your ridiculous claims directly and concisely. And your claims are very ridiculous indeed.

• Advertisement

Why are you asking questions but answering none put to you?

Advertisement