Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cows repeating

• 20-06-2021 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

What peoples AI repeats like this year?

I've 14 AI'd by now with first 4 now after repeating. A bit of a pain as dates starting to slip. Going to ring vet tomorrow to maybe blood test a few. Just encase as this is unusual for the herd (1or2 repeats randomly, not 4 in a row)
    I gave them the 2nd dose of the Lepto vaccine 2 weeks before bulling so not sure if a reaction to that. They were also in for 2 weeks on silage & nuts due to the poor grass growth before bulling so wondering if there condition is too good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

What peoples AI repeats like this year?

I've 14 AI'd by now with first 4 now after repeating. A bit of a pain as dates starting to slip. Going to ring vet tomorrow to maybe blood test a few. Just encase as this is unusual for the herd (1or2 repeats randomly, not 4 in a row)
    I gave them the 2nd dose of the Lepto vaccine 2 weeks before bulling so not sure if a reaction to that. They were also in for 2 weeks on silage & nuts due to the poor grass growth before bulling so wondering if there condition is too good.

Have similar
    It’s to do with the bad weather from July last year to shedding, cows are lacking vitamin and minerals
    Also give lots of time for cow in standing heat to serve

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Makes sense. Just a pain now as they will be calving now in April.

Makes sense. Just a pain now as they will be calving now in April.

An April calf will sell well in December, even earlier if gets the weights

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Was just talking to my AI man there and I asked him was there a lot of cows repeating, he said there is a few, people seem to be putting it down to a phosphorus deficiency in the grass for the dry hard April. He said a lot of farmers are telling him their cows are eating stones, now he isn't sure if the two are connected or not. He is a good lad at telling you what he hears around the country without mentioning any places he has been.

The lepto vaccine is great I find at getting heifers and cows to stop repeating, vet always recommends it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

Anto_Meath wrote:
    Was just talking to my AI man there and I asked him was there a lot of cows repeating, he said there is a few, people seem to be putting it down to a phosphorus deficiency in the grass for the dry hard April. He said a lot of farmers are telling him their cows are eating stones, now he isn't sure if the two are connected or not. He is a good lad at telling you what he hears around the country without mentioning any places he has been.

2 are connected...cows eating stones is condition called pica & affects fertility big time, had it last yr & blanket spread super phos fertiliser & phos bricks in feed mangers in parlour helped sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭ABitofsense

Turned out cows had IBR. Something we never had on the farm before. No cows at all incalf and all repeated twice. Bloods showed that it was IBR so vaccinated all now. Raging as that's my nice tight march calving gone.

Any know how long after vaccine can they be AI'd again? Vet said 10-14 days, just wondering if anyone had experienced this before

Not good but better having May calves than no calves

with a bit of work you can get back to March soon

Advertisement