Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

2-3 years could be circa €50k in rent paid while waiting for a potential drop in prices. On top of that you are likely putting away a similar amount to your rent each month in saving for a deposit.

If you can afford to buy now then you should imo.

An estate agent hoping for more continued mass immigration into a country which already has one of the largest immigrant populations per capita in the world in order to keep house prices rising and their business booming. Fix our broken immigration system and start implementing some controls. We have had net immigration between 2014-2019 of 200,000 people, the equivalent to almost 3 Galway cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭DataDude

Focus needs to be on difference between rent and interest repayment rather than rent in absolute terms (and potentially lost investment returns on deposit if you want to get aggressive). There's a widely held view that all mortgage payments = good, all rent payment = dead money. But assuming a 320k loan in your example at 2.5% for 35 years. There would be €23k in interest repayments over the first three years (dead money) which need to be factored in also. Of course, in your example it doesn't get you all the way there, but it's a material factor for sure especially if you plan to buy a house which is significantly more valuable than the place you are currently renting which is the case for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

The main reason is supply. I don't believe the new builds, pre-covid anyway, to be substantially overpriced. Particularly with HTB. But the main reason for waiting is to enable supply to get going so you're not buying some tiny kip and/or some where that needs a lot of work. There is so little on the market right now and it will remain this way for at least a year after covid restrictions end but we will see an uplift in supply in a few years.

What's an additional 2/3 years from now in a 20-30 year mortgage to give supply a chance to at least pick up from what it is now and give yourself a better selection? Demand is red hot right now, supply is totally dulled due to Brexit (the fallout is still going to be worse than it has been to date), covid (both new build supply and older people not wanting to move from their home until it subsides) and the State (and charities) competing with individuals too much for housing (which is going to change with the Housing For All startegy).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Sold new in Donabate for 317k in July 2018

Was on the market for 320k until last week and yesterday increased by 90k to 430k 🔥

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Timing belt

I agree with what you are calling out.... But if you wait 2-3 years and continue to rent and buy a property at the same price as today... you will still be paying the interest unless you are in a position to save more of a deposit during that time. For the vast majority of people they are paying more in Rent than they would be paying on mortgage repayments. (Obviously if you look at the higher end of the market this will not be the case)

It doesn't matter when you buy from the pure maths perspective, if you go through and example and compare the equity you've built up in house and increased savings under each scenario, it all works out. The annual comparison between renting and buying must be the difference between rental yields (c.5%-6% of house value) vs mortgage costs (c.2.5%). The vast majority of people simply look at the 5%-6% rental cost which is mathematically incorrect.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I was a couple of days away from starting a fight with the postman about whether it is cheaper to build inside or outside of Dublin. Luckily you are all back now.

Here is a video that with resonate or antagonize -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOBupYPtdY8

If you buy today you will have 2-3 years less of a mortgage to pay in the future.

If you are in a position where you can save significantly during the 2-3 years (whilst paying rent) to reduce the amount of a mortgage you require then yes it won't make that much of a difference. The only problem is that that there is a small minority of people who would be able to do this whilst paying rent and for the vast majority they would probably end up with the same mortgage required in 2-3 years time as required today.

It's just a calculation. What I'm pointing out is a mathematical fact. Quick simplified example. €400k house, 5% rental cost (€20k per year, €1667pm). Mortgage for full amount (2.5% over 35 years) = €1,423.94 pm , €17.1k per annum

After 3 years:

Rent - 60k paid out, equity gained 0k, dead money 60k

Mortgage - €51.2k paid out, equity gained 21.7k (+ or - any house price movement), dead money €29.5k

So in the mortgage you'll have €8.8k of additional cash in the bank and €21.7k equity (plus or minus the change in house value). So you're 29.5k better off in this example. In your workings you just took the rent figure of €60k which is incorrect. Simple way to get to where I got is (house value)*(rental yield - mortgage rates). The remaining term on your mortgage etc. is all a red herring and has no impact on the calculation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,036 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Interest rates can only go one way and that is up, and although nobody can predict house prices in future, I personally cant see them dropping substantially in the next 3 years anyways.

With that in mind I would buy - but only a house I'd be comfortable living in for the next 10+ years.

I get what you are saying and I'm not arguing with any of your calculations.

The point I am making is that if you put off purchasing today and purchased in 3 years time and require the same mortgage as today then you will have an additional 3 years of "dead money" (Interest) to take into account that you are excluding from your calculation.

e.g.

After 6 years:

Rent - 60k paid out, equity gained 21.7k, dead money 89.5k (60 + 29.5)

I don't disagree with your sentiments! Although I would argue that expectations of future interest rates are broadly already factored into fixed term mortgages, particularly the longer term ones. Back in 2016 everyone saying interest rates couldn't go any lower, including myself (I clearly remember an article titled "German Government Bonds are the short bet of a lifetime" and wanting to do it)...yet here were are!

I do disagree with this, it's fundamentally at odds with basic accounting rules. Your expressing a future debt servicing cost as a liability in nominal terms today. If you applied the logic above widely, you'd say when you bought a house for €400k over 35 years that your net worth is -€200k because the total cost of servicing the loan will be €600k. If someone has a loan for €400k for 35 years and one has a loan of €400k for 30 years. Their debt is the same, you don't consider the second person €30k "richer" because they will pay less interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Jmc25

I'm not debating that if prices rise or fall marginally then people would he better off buying today than waiting 2-3 years. And I'm also not saying that anyone should ever consider putting their life on hold - anyone who needs to buy and can afford it should buy.

All I'm saying is that the market is clearly wildly unstable and there definitely a degree of panic buying going on at the moment, which is being facilitated by large deposits built up during the multiple lockdowns. There's also hardly any new builds available for people to buy, again because of the lockdowns.

People will spend those savings eventually (mostly on houses, apparently), more new builds will come on stream and most likely more second hand houses will become available as normal life resumes. Essentially we'll be back at 2018-2020, where prices where 10-20 per cent lower than sale agreed prices in many cases today. This is completely independent of government policy, which looks like it may change in any event.

I always preface my predictions with an acknowledgement that I might be dead wrong, but I think there's some hysteria on all sides leading to a "house prices will rise forever until the end of time the end" narrative becoming dominant.

In my eyes it's worth waiting at least a year or two to see how it all plays out.

Should I buy a shoebox in a shithole or wait, in your opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭enricoh

Good article in the examiner about future government spending up to 2025, literally no chance of price decreases if they spend what they intend to. ( Unless they go bankrupt in the meantime!)

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/columnists/arid-40338710.html?type=amp

The big mistake is thinking that the borrowing needs to be paid for. It definitely does not need to be repaid. This seems to be what's causing issues with the naysayers.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,958 ✭✭✭hometruths

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I think it's some fantasy about wizards, Hogwarts, magic wands and a mythical creature called inflation that travels the world gobbling up government debt and sheeting out rainbows of peace it's hind end.

In the real world, there are a lot of people with mortgages who dearly wish that it were true and that this magical creature would visit them and gobble up/evaporate their principal the way it does with government dept - supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,041 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭MacronvFrugals

Good point, is everything on the PRR excluding vat?

I thought the search results included this but I don’t know tbh.

Post edited by MacronvFrugals on

The main driver of building industry in Ireland is coockoo funds

The government main target is bring investors from USA and other parts of the world money to building industry in Ireland

Nobody care that prices are rising because the higher the prices the more money coming to Ireland

Once stock market will crash the building industry will be collapse too

Investors will pumping money out the fund the fund will get rid of the property

The faster they will sell the less they will lose.

The size of the collapse will depend how much ordinary people bought houses and how much investment funds

Something tell me that funds are main property owners in Ireland what mean collapse will way heavier than credit crunch 2008

• Registered Users Posts: 4,891 ✭✭✭enricoh

Will we be the most in debt country per Capita by 2025 under these new plans? We won't be far off! Maybe we'll have the luck of the Irish n the lads buying our bonds won't require a few quid more in interest off us. There'll be some hangover if them nasty bondholders think paddy is a wee bit exposed!

Only new builds attract vat but they do indeed show as ex vat on the ppr

The site you linked that comment from isn't the ppr rather a site that takes info from it, I believe that site grosses up and shows the vat inclusive price.

So you believe funds own more properties than private individuals in Ireland?

Not in total for sure !

But I think funds purchased more new built properties since they came than individuals

Funds is fuel for building industry of Ireland

Ireland does not have gas or oil to sell to the world

Ireland has green fields to sell to the world

Just because investment funds buy property in Ireland

The builders and suppliers has job and government has taxes as VAT,PRSI,etc,etc

And the more jobs on building sites the more imigrants coming from around the world pay pensions to people in Ireland

Nobody care and nobody will about somebody cant afford buy a house ! The main target is bring money to the country and make industry and people work ! And make money for sure !

Nobody care about prices ! The higher the prices the more money will come from funds !

And I would like see populists as SF which says they gona change that ! They will do the same or will pay social welfares to unemployed builders,producers,suppliers,etc !

There is not enough people on this island to buy property in amount government needed !

At the price the government and NAMA needed !

Yes,sure,when the bubble will explode the sxxx will be everywere

But nobody care about it and nobody will.Today is Okay ! What will be tomorrow we will speak about it tomorrow !

And everybody will say We did not expect it just everything happened as before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

My god, this is still be thrown out.

This is absolutely terrible advice, you have no idea where prices will be in 2-5 years, they could be up another 10% and people will be worse off.

People have literally been saying this for years on this forum......the great equalisation in the housing market is only ever a few years away and people should just keep on saving......

Time to get real. Owing property is the best hedge against inflation, it's also the best personal hedge against further lockdowns. It's not decreasing significantly anytime soon.

ECB print money, buy Ireland debt, in few year ECB cancel debt and make euro on balance sheet disappear.

I would strongly advise anyone not to follow this. And I'm putting my own money where my mouth is when I say this.

Right now we are in one of the worst buyer's markets we've ever had. Supply is at rock bottom and demand is sky high. It could barely be any worse.

We have had sellers holding off because of Brexit, builders sitting on their arses for months on end not building anything, rent freezes, a frozen economy with savings soaring the past year and nothing to spend them on except property. It could not be a worse time to buy now. There is so much planning permission granted or in the pipeline that supply will undoubtedly be far better in 2 years, continuing to climb beyond that.

At the same time, it could not be a better time to sell now and, assuming covid restrictions end in a few weeks, things will get back to normal and supply will gradually pick up again. Already, the savings are not being accumulated as much as during lockdown according to the Central Bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

This is the perfect example of confirmation bias.

All you see are facts which support your point of view.

I am neither buying nor selling, but I have been following these threads for years and it's always the same advice.....just a few more months/seasons/years and you'll get that house cheaper.

Its absolutely terrible advice, if you can afford a house you should buy it. Anything else is gambling with the market.

Advertisement