Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New aerial + Dish = TV license demand

• 16-07-2021 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

MAYBE a big coincidence, but about 2 weeks after putting up the saorview aerial and satellite on side of house, a demand for a TV License drops in the letterbox, first time ever received one. Are there roaming inspectors checking houses for aerials and comparing them against the "TV license database"? It would seem so.

€160 to pay for George Lee's €180,000 salary...I'd be lying if I said that doesn't hurt. But this seems to be the hidden side of getting this equipment. You have been warned!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

The law requires you to have a licence for a TV whether you have an aerial or dish (not satellite) outside or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

You can pay monthly direct debit with the post office, about 13 a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭athlone573

I think it's more likely that your TV installer notified An Post, but maybe it was the postman.

Not that I've any sympathy for you as rightly or wrongly most people do pay the RTE tax.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

At one time the retailers were obliged to notify the powers that be if you bought a TV.

Wasn't there also a suggestion a few months back of targeting any household that didn't have a current licence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I know someone that got a TV licence notice through the door that had "Satellite dishes" handwritten on it. I don't know if that was their way of saying "we think you have a TV because you have a dish, pay up".

• Advertisement

Only if you have a device capable of receiving a television signal, be that aerial, satellite or cable. If you have no TV, but you do have a Saorview box you're required to have a TV license.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

I installed it myself. I was just wondering how they found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭justmehere

True. I was just wondering how they found out. Someone mentioned the postman seeing the dish, maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Would a Saorview box be any good with just a monitor?

PS Having read post in full you would still need a TV licence with a box and monitor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

I believe you need a licence for a box and monitor, after all it is a TV in two bits.

In Ireland you need a licence for a TV.

In the UK you need a licence to receive broadcasts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Treppen

Or you can go into the post office and pay as you go... Or not pay but show the inspector the book that would show that some payments have been made.

Part payment means you are "paying" your TV licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Life is easier if you just pay things like your tv license and property tax, it sucks but at least your not afraid to open your front door

Advertisement