Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic Solar PV Quotes 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭steedevaney

Hi all,

Wondering is it worth getting 5 south facing panels in Dublin from the company that can’t be named. Quote just in, but no reduction in price from what I can see. Given that 5 will only produce 1.8Kw will the grant be halved as a result when not hitting the 2Kw?
    Any point getting a panel or two installed on the north facing roof (if they would fit)?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭MAULBROOK

Hi all,

Wondering is it worth getting 5 south facing panels in Dublin from the company that can’t be named. Quote just in, but no reduction in price from what I can see. Given that 5 will only produce 1.8Kw will the grant be halved as a result when not hitting the 2Kw?
    Any point getting a panel or two installed on the north facing roof (if they would fit)?

What size panels are they ie 300w or 360w. No point on fitting in the north side roof.
    If you can only fit 5 then aim for the larger wattage panel

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Hi,

New all to this.

Got the following quote

380W Q-Cells Solar PV Panels/Modules 14
    3.6 GivEnergy Hybrid Inverter 1
    5 kWh GivEnergy Battery Storage 2 x 2.5kw reconditions battery 2
    EDDI Smart Immersion
    PV Protect / Shunt Switch
    AC & DC Isolators
    AC & DC Cable
    Renusol Roof Mounting Kit

So a 5.3kw system, 5kw battery coming in at €7200 after grant.

Battery is recondition, but as I understand it comes with a 10 year performance warranty.

Feedback welcome.

MAULBROOK wrote: »
    What size panels are they ie 300w or 360w. No point on fitting in the north side roof.
    If you can only fit 5 then aim for the larger wattage panel

Seem to be the 360w. The quote didn’t exactly specify but I will ask for further details.

godtabh wrote: »
    Hi,

New all to this.

Got the following quote

So a 5.3kw system, 5kw battery coming in at €7200 after grant.

Battery is recondition, but as I understand it comes with a 10 year performance warranty.

Feedback welcome.

The inverter is too small aim for the 5kw one. feck all price difference.
    The battery I would be worried about. Ask them the price difference to a new one.
    The overall price looks high, mainly the second hand battery puts me off the quote.

• Advertisement

Seem to be the 360w. The quote didn’t exactly specify but I will ask for further details.

What was the quote

What was the quote

Option 1 - with grant and 100% self-consumption
    ● 5 photovoltaïc panels
    ● 1 solar inverter
    ● Installation of complete system

QUANTITY OF PANELS
    SYSTEM SIZE
    1,83 kWp
    ESTIMATED YEARLY PRODUCTION
    1781 kWh

19.99 per month on assumption of 1,800 but I’m assuming grant will max at 900 give it’s not over 2Kw but maybe it pro-rata’s

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

What pay back period do people opt for?

What pay back period do people opt for?

Its not really something you opt for, it all depends on your personal usage and possible future usage ie an EV and power price rises.

Its not really something you opt for, it all depends on your personal usage and possible future usage ie an EV and power price rises.

Maybe I phrased that wrong. What would be a good payback?

I am planning to have a 5.3kw system, 5kw charger (with night rate charging), hot water diverter combined with an EV I already have. This will be with two people working form home full time.

How should I be calculating the payback and what would be deemed to be acceptable?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Option 1 - with grant and 100% self-consumption
    ● 5 photovoltaïc panels
    ● 1 solar inverter
    ● Installation of complete system

QUANTITY OF PANELS
    SYSTEM SIZE
    1,83 kWp
    ESTIMATED YEARLY PRODUCTION
    1781 kWh

19.99 per month on assumption of 1,800 but I’m assuming grant will max at 900 give it’s not over 2Kw but maybe it pro-rata’s
    They are 365w panels.
    Thats a poor offer when I'm getting 7 for the same money.
    Go back and talk to them again. Can you not get 7

They are 365w panels.
    Thats a poor offer when I'm getting 7 for the same money.
    Go back and talk to them again. Can you not get 7

They are saying the roof can only take 5. It is a bit weird shaped in fairness. But I will follow up on the quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,812 ✭✭✭Alkers

Maybe I phrased that wrong. What would be a good payback?

I am planning to have a 5.3kw system, 5kw charger (with night rate charging), hot water diverter combined with an EV I already have. This will be with two people working form home full time.

How should I be calculating the payback and what would be deemed to be acceptable?
    Well your absolute best case will be the cost of the system after grants divided by your current annual bill. Anything below ten years is well worthwhile to me if your considering only the financial aspects. You'll get a faster payback in monetary terms with a smaller, cheaper, non battery system.

The quote you have is not particularly competitive, particularly with a non-new battery. Ten year warranty for battery is unlikely also, normally they're 200 cycles or some such.

Different quote in:

Size of PV array quoted: 

2.7kW

PV Panels quoted: 

Qcells 335w split-cell all blk mono PERC x8

Inverter quoted:

Solis Mini String Inverter x1 inc system monitoring app

€4050 after grant.

Anyone any thoughts or suggested improvements?

So went back and queried this quote. Got it down to €6200 with the better inverter.

Got another quote from

14 x 365w Peimar Panels & 5kW Sonnen Battery = €15,150

MyEddi hot water diverter = €300 (offer when adding to battery system)

Total cost = €15,450

SEAI Grant = €3000

14 x 365w Peimar Panels & MyEddi hot water diverter = €9350

SEAI Grant = €1800

14 Peimar Panels only = €8800

SEAI Grant = €1800

Massive difference in price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

My Parents got a quote from an Installer.

8 x 375 Watt Mono Trina PV Module panels

• Full installation of 3 kWp Roof Front Mounted System.

• MyEnergi eddi Hot Water Diverter

• Tranergy Inverter

• Fireman switch as per regulation

• AC and DC cabling and isolators

• Suitable 25 amp type ‘B’ RCBO protection

• All associated necessary plant and equipment

To install PV system including VAT (@13.5%) €7734.

with grant (if applicable) = € 1800

Net cost after grant = €5934

From looking at other Quotes here I dont believe this to be the best that they can get.

In addition they are aged 79 and 76. They wont see full payback before they move on. ( Their comment ).

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

There's much better value out there.Do they really need the eddi?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭rameire

Possibly not, its actually the one thing they were querying the most, as they heat the water and rads with gas boiler currently.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

I got a 2.55 system without eddi for 2,400E after grant of 1800.You should be paying approx 1euro per watt, but other factors do come into play like ease of installation.IMO your quote is very high and I would shop around.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Did you keep the grant or give it to them?I'm debating the benefits. 1800 in the hand is a lot of cash . An extra fiver a week isn't. 4 of us getting installed Monday /Tuesday next week. We're all friends living locally.

• Advertisement

I need the fiver SW😉.I classed the grant as money I did'nt have, it went straight in and out of my account, I have become a right scrooge during lockdown, paid off a lot of outstanding debt, planning to get rid of credit cards as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭championc

Complete madness. You'll get this same amount from Solar as a Service, for only €2400, and you can buy it out if you want.

It's been said many times already, but the guide price should be less than €1k per kWp of panels. It's a simple starter guide

Again, the Solar as a Service would be €2400 for much the same thing. Fine, spend €500 on an Eddi and install it yourself. If their base load is low, then they should get a decent amount into one, but €500 would buy you alot of electricity or gas

While in general that seems to be what people are getting. The Solar as a Service we’re only going to fit 5 panels (1.83kW) and in the initial quote they weren’t reducing the price (given the quote also assumed the full grant the price would be more than 2400 based on the quote) so it was running more expensive than the €1k per kWp.

So you're looking at about 5kWp so you should be looking more in that price range, and there are several on here who have had quotes of this level for around 5kWp systems. Just look back over the postingsfrom the past month or two

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

If you want, I can send you details of someone who can do much better price-wise. Just PM me and I will send details

• Registered Users Posts: 16 DK1981

Hi all. i know that PV installer recommendations are not allowed on the public forum. If people would not mind could they PM me good value and quality installers of PV panels in the dublin area or commuter belt. thank you

Could you mount the other two on a shed roof and connect them to separate micro-inverters (which you could buy on AliExpress ?

Could you mount them on a wooden shed? Shed roof also slopes from south to north so would need something mounted on it in order for them to be facing south at the right angle

• Advertisement

Absolutely - I've 4 x 300w on mine. Since my inverter and batteries are in the shed, I was easily able to add them to my string, but otherwise, micro inverters are perfect for the job

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement