Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

Fail to perpare...very large panels that weren't cut down and focused. Some really good people involved so the question that should be asked what did they do wrong and were their hands tied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

I watched the match last night. Honestly, I wouldn't lay the blame on the players for last night. And I wouldn't lay much of the blame with the management either. You could see from even the first few minutes, that this was going to be a total mismatch. Even just a visual would tell you that Cork were much bigger, stronger and faster than our lads.

This, as most of us know, is a result of long term negligence of Clare GAA's underage structures. Tommy Gilfoyle said it on the radio last night, this is where Clare GAA is at right now, you reap what you sow. For example, NOC tweeted last night, while Cork had they're coaching setup in place during 2020 and preparing for this 2021 championship, this group had no coach and Chaplin was only appointed this year.

It's not really a wake up call, I think everyone at this stage is well aware of the serious problems in Clare GAA. It's more of a reality check of bad things really are in Clare. Apparently, the u16s and u15s have been taking some serious beatings too.

Major changes are required in Clare GAA. And I'm not just talking about the development plan the committee are forming. I'm talking about personelle changes at the highest level.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

No games last year at club level, very little preparation this year, squads not cut down, no game plan.

I know a lot of blame for this is at the county board's feet but any management group that sends that a team out that can only score 6 points (2 from frees) just isn't good enough they had at least a month to get everything going, 6 points, nope, not good enough at any level.

The Clare u20s also won against Kerry on Monday, and will take on Limerick next week. They looked good in the first half, but worryingly when the management made a load of changes at half time, they actually ended up losing the second half to Kerry.

I wouldn't be too excited about their chances. They have some good players, but being down basically our 3 best players (Rodgers, Meehan and Galvin) are huge losses. And Limerick obviously have been the standard bearers at this age group.

But there looks to be some decent backs on this team that could push on and compete to be on the senior squad. Oisin O'Donnell and Diarmuid Cahill looked good also. Cahill is a terrific hurler, but I wonder how much is lack of size will affect him making it at senior level.

My condolences to Pat and Oisin, and to the O'Donnell family this week for their loss.

Forget the U20 championship. it's a joke without the top players. I don't even bother watching it as it's not of any value anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

That was one hell of an embarrassment last night. Scary stuff really. Surely another tipping point in the lack of faith in the county board to put the resources in place.

I agree, the ruling is a joke altogether. Cork brought on Alan Connolly for the last few minutes against Limerick and he can't play u20s either.

It really was. We could have had Brian Cody, Liam Sheedy and John Kiely over the team last night. But when the opposition is much stronger, much faster, much more skillful.. it's clear as day the underage structures are broken. This is just another group that haven't been developed right through the underage system. It's not just this age group, this management.. its all age groups were taking massive hammerings and have been for years. This needs to be fixed at the very core.

I would say not one of these palyers ever had a competitive match in a clare jersey. I dont' think this group even played in a forrestal competition. With the exception of those that played for Flannans there was very few who have experienced top level hurling. That is not all the fault of the county board. The management of this team are not really at fault, perhaps they could have been more ruthless in cutting panels but that's hard to do. We have a long way to go to relearn how to make a winning team at this level and below.

I agree that I definitely think the pandemic, with no schools or u16 competition last year, exacerbated the gulf between the sides. But I think ultimately, this is a structural framework problem with our underage development system. I don't think were developing our kids to level where they are both improving on their hurling, but also being conditioned to a level where they can compete with other counties.

I've seen pretty much all the Clare u20/21 and minor matches for the last number of years. IMO, I think our hurling has been in general reasonably OK, but S&C wise we have been way off. In my opinion, the poor S&C development of our underage hurlers was preventing us from truly competing for silverware at u20/21 and minor. But at the same time, as poor as we have been underage this past 10 years, we were never beaten by 40 points.

I'm conflicted about yesterday evening. On one hand, I taught the minors' hurling skills were woeful. But even still, I've never seen such a difference between teams in terms of strength and conditioning as I saw last night for example. I know this is a recurring theme but I taught it was brought to a completely different level yesterday. At one stage, the Cork centre back went soloing up the field and the 2 or 3 Clare lads chasing him, couldn't keep up. For many of the goals yesterday, Cork fowards were just running by our lads untouched. Our lads were not on a level playing field.

Overall, it's clear that our current development framework has not, and will not, provide our underage players with right environment to compete with the other top counties. Hopefully things will change with the committee formed. But it's really worrying, if we can get this resolved, the long term future of Clare GAA will be bleak.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Expecting many changes to the team on Saturday? Mcinerney I'd imagine, maybe O'Donnell.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

SoD isn't back yet, not 100% sure of where he's at with his return to play but I do know he hasn't been with the county setup since the injury.

In my opinion the Games Development Officers/Administrators/Managers whatever they are called are a disgrace, their task is to develop GAA in Clare and they clearly aren't delivering on this. You can complain about S&C as much as you want but there's a guy in place who's supposed to be looking after this, he's clearly not doing it but he's not being held accountable. There's Cul Camps going on all around the county at the moment and these 4 lads are front and centre at all of them decked out head to toe in Clare O'Neill's gear but they just aren't doing their jobs in my opinion. The fact that the former boss of this group has the same surname as the minor manager and is a club mate of the Fitz's tells a lot in my opinion.

The county board isn't up to scratch, Caherlohan isn't up to scratch and both these will need to be fixed before we have any kind of long term success but in the short term there is no reason why our teams only score 6 points (3 from frees) in a Championship game, the blame for this short term scandal has to fall at the desk of the management of the team.

Caherlohan... Centre of Average...

The reality is the whole system is out of date and piecemeal.. I would ignore the CUL camps. That's a good system of childminding but it has young people out doing going things.

It's as simple as this, we have a relatively small hurling popultion at underage. We depend on a surge of excellent hurlers at any point whereas Tipp, Cork and Kiikenny have a larger supply line.

The mantra for the past few years has been to make sure the average hurler who could progress gets a chance. But in reality what has happenend is standards for the most talented has dropped. You can't train 60 the same as 30. At some point you have to make a cut and create competition.

If you look at Rugby now, if you aren't making the grade at 16, then you are making it as an adult as all the resources are pumped in to the elites. That's not good either. There is no way these minors are as bad as a 40 point defeat. There is a fundanmental problem there, that is more to do with structure than talent.

It's like it was being set up for someone to step in and take over to 'sort it out'. I wonder who that might have been.....$$$$

Absolutely you have to make a decision as to when to cut but the fact is just because you are a good underage player doesn't mean you'll be a good adult and vice vearsa, Brian Lohan couldn't make the Comp team when he was there. I don't think we can compare ourselves to Tipp/Cork/Kilkenny, they have had the structures in place for 100 years, our success in the past 30 years is down to 2 good sets of players (minors of 1989 and the under 21s), outside of those there's nothing.

In my opinion, we should be looking to Limerick/Waterford as a benchmark, we have the same amount of development officers, we've 1 less than Tipp, 3 less than Cork and 8 less than Kerry. There should be constant interaction between the officers and the clubs as well as a clear strategy, that's non-existent and it seems to me that they are more interested in cul camps (which is childminding) than they are developing clear pathways.

I wouldn't disagree with any of that. Honestly, I don't get to underage club games much, I only see the final product at intercounty level. But either way, it has become very apparent how under-developed our lads are compared to the likes of Limerick/Cork/Tipp in recent minor/U20/21 games. I don't lay the blame with the players as such, it's very hard to win games when you competing with teams that are stronger, faster, fitter than you. I believe you are right, there is probably a lack of accountability and standards in Clare GAA, but I would feel also the structures aren't good enough either. For example (and shoot me down if you disagree), the management shouldn't have to run trials with 60 odd players, only a few months before the championship. If the right structures were in place, you would know your core group of players from past underage teams and be only tinkering with squad by this year.

Personally I don't agree in the way the development squads are setup, players are nominated by their club, about 30 of them go to their own groups (I think there's 3 of them) and from there it is whittled down to a Clare squad which then in turn is the team. That is completely flawed in my opinion. Now, we didn't have much success at minor down through the years but the old system of being good for your club and school got you brought into the county setup was better. Unfortunately however politics has taken over setups now and there's as many in the backroom as there is on the pitch, ffs there was a picture in the paper last week of the 8 management members, they even setup like a team with 4 in front and 4 standing up behind them.

Development squads are all well and good but the way we are running it means that they are flawed, players are nominated by their clubs and get to go, they have to pay for their own gear and because there is so many of them it's impossible to track them all, throw in the lack of competitive games and you have the cluster **** that we're putting up with at the moment.

Just to add to this, I don't think management shouldn't have to have trials to identify the players, last years championship was the trial for players, some players might have been unlucky to be in a poor team so they've the opportunity to play with their school as well, if they have a poor school as well then there should be an open discussion between clubs and county. This thing of lads getting onto county panels at the start of the year and that's it is majorily flawed, it should be a fluid thing, training should be of ~30 players with competitive matches but also having players coming in if their current form warrants it.

Delighted! Got tickets to the game.

They are on general sale on Ticketmaster:

Buy | GAA (ticketmaster.com)

• Advertisement

Theres nothing wrong with having trials. It's another way of puting players against one another if done fairly. The Club, School etc. can be distorted also so all means can be used. But.. what has to be done is to find the way to get the best 30 competing for places and also to find the best 15 from that. When it comes down to it, a county management team has to bite the bullet and say to parents and underage players that at this time you aren't making the panel, but that can change in time. One way or another, there has to be a change in approach..

I reckon it started with thos go game soft sliotars... Townie balls we called them.......(incoming!)

The problem is there are so many panels now it's hard to know who's even on them, there's about 120 players on under 16 development squads alone. In fairness to the GAA the days of counties hiding secrets from each other are long gone, you get the right structures in place with the right people involved and then the players thrive.

The Clare minor manager's top job before this was intermediate manager for the Bridge, surely that's all that needs to be said in regards to his credentials. The backroom team had 4 coaches, 2 S&C, goalkeeping coach and a physio, that's a serious backroom team and setup, in today's age there's no reason why stuff like Teambuildr can't have players and coaches can't be tracked.

Clare Team:

E Quilligan

R Hayes C Cleary P Flanagan

D Ryan J Conlon P Fitzpatrick

C Galvin C Malone

A Shanagher T Kelly A McCarthy

D Reidy I Galvin R Taylor

It really time David McInerney started for Clare now over Paidi Fitz, and I’d be surprised if there isn’t a late change. Paidi is an honest lad but he struggled the last day on Breen.

We need Shanagher to go well tomorrow I feel. I see things being very tit-for-tat around midfield with the mid third full of bodies. If it was up to me, I’d bring in Rodgers and have a 2 pronged full forward for direct ball to be played into. It’s going to be absolutely scorching hot tomorrow, having an effective brand of hurling that lets the ball do the work will surely be the way to go. Nonetheless Lohan has to use his bench more in this game.

That team won't start like that, I'm not a fan of phony teams but it is what it is. Kelly at 11 is a big call and the right move I think, if they did that he'd tie up both the center back and the sweeper.

I expect a big performance from Reidy tomorrow, he's due a game and he was good last year. I'm backing Taylor as first goal scorer tomorrow, 9/1

There’ll be plenty of switches tomorrow I’d say. We definitely won’t got with a mostly conventional 3 inside full forward line like we did versus Tipp. I agree with you in having Kelly playing out the field. Probably Galvin and Shanagher together up top. I want to see Shanagher more central tomorrow. He played his best game in the league versus Wexford, hopefully this is the game he comes good for us.

Rory O’Connor did massive damage in the league game. I’d just stick Hayes on him and forget about getting smart with it. Cleary to take McDonald I’d say and Malone to be monitoring Chin in that pocket in front of Conlon. Another potential option is push Conlon up on Chin and let Flanagan be the extra man, Flanagan has the hurling for it and is very tidy in possession.

Cleary is full back, stop the goal, that's his job and he did it very well so far I thought, his defending of Callinan for the Tipp goal was text book full back play, Callinan didn't have any other option but to take a shot under pressure. I say we should play our game and let Wexford worry about us, that's what we did against Waterford and it worked brilliantly.

Shanagher has been a mixed bag for me, absolutely amazing to win his own ball but struggles to do the right thing with it, the 3 that comes to mind is the penalty against Waterford (he should have scored it, it wasn't a penalty), pass against Waterford (he should have scored it himself) and a terrible wide against Tipp when he had all the hard work done.

I think with Shanagher, Lohan should take a leaf out of how Cody used Colin Fennelly. Both Shanagher and Fennelly have clear technical issues with their striking. What I like with Cody, is that he coached Fennelly to usually just turn and run at the blackspot. Fennelly was a wing forward underage and he move him to the edge of the square. And it was very effective. When I see Shanagher, yes he striking is poor, but one can see his confidence it dropping and he is second guessing his shot selection. As I’ve said before, I’d be simplifying things down for him. He has great natural size and athleticism, I’d be putting him in situations that hurts teams with those traits.

• Advertisement

Cody is a teacher with over 20 years of Kilkenny management behind him, he can take the time to develop a player, Lohan is in his second year. I think Shanagher is backup to SoD, the role Shanagher is playing would be amazing for SoD, it'd bring out the best in him in my opinion. I've been hard on SoD I know but put him in Shanagher's place and he'd be amazing, saying that I don't know if SoD could get as much clean ball as Shanagher.

Advertisement