Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Redwater - symptoms to look for

• 16-07-2021 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭

I can't use the search function on the new set-up, so I'll start a new thread.

I Have a cow here about 10 years old. Spotted her this morning, lying down a long way away from the rest of the herd. She passed dung ok, but no signs of passing water. I tried to get her to pass water by rubbing under the tail, but no luck. Checked her again there this evening and she was standing up chewing the cud. Spent some time looking at her but no water passed. Being a exceptional hot day doesn't help either.

She is empty looking and her eyes are pestered by flies. The only cow that seems to be that way.

Any ideas on how to get her to pass water?

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

if you rub her hard enough and for long enough in the right spot she should pass water.

if she does have it and it isn’t caught soon enough she’ll start to stagger when walking with blood loss and will feel cold to touch. Had to do a blood transfusion with one here years like this ago but she recovered.

is she bought into the farm long?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

If she is home bred, it's unlikely to be red water.

We had one in the early stages. With the herd but agitated, the urine was frothy and clear.

Could you bring her in,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gaAaPLTH4HA

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

If it is still early stages she should be running a high temperature. If you stay looking at them for an hour and then start moving them around so she gets nervous, she might pass water then.

Have you considered everything else? Is she milking?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Looked at her again. She looks ok now. Up and grazing with the herd. Tried rubbing her again but no water.

She is dry now and due to calf in about 2 months. Bought in to the herd at 18 months in 2012.

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

If she’s on your farm nine years you’d think she would have got redwater long before now if she was going to get it but anything is possible i suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

Have to agree with this, keep them walking was another thing people did ( although that was mainly where they had to go a distance to drink water )

Not if they have red water,walking with the loss of blood can bring on a heart attack. If possible, transport back to the farm yard is preferable.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

I always found animals with Redwater were easy enough to get to urinate.

Redwater is initially associated with pipestem diarrhoea, and later with constipation ("the murin"). The vulval membranes will go pale as the condition worsens.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Summer mastitis could be a worry with that cow, some amount of feckin flies about.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭jd06

A little off topic

But if been checking for red water too but this evening I saw 3 of my 20 cows with what looks like a skint treat bloody like but its just on the outside

I think this happens every year hopefully they will be ok. Suckler cows are not the easiest to get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

Well, I got to answer my own question today. Have a cow with redwater. Last night, I noticed that she didn't run with the others up to the gate. Just walked up behind them. I was giving them a handful of meal as I wanted to load them up from some land that's a mile or so away. I tried her then and she wouldn't pass water.

Checked her again this morning and not happy with her. Gone a bit thin and lethargic. Brought her home and she was lying down when I opened the ramp of the trailer. She passed dark red water as the vet was putting in a bladder tube (not sure of proper term). She got a blood transfusion which was tough going as other cow slow to give blood. She is home bred, 4 years old.

Anyway maybe it will help others spot the symptoms.

Flutter valve??

You wouldn’t think a cow which has been on the same ground all her life would get redwater.

Her own mother was bought in though, so maybe not fully immunised. Would overuse of Ivermectins lead to less immunity, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

It is a regular occurrence on a bit of land I've been renting. Tried loads of tricks to get rid or prevent it with only partial success. I've used the Bayticol pour on and I'm not convinced it works. I've had them graze the ground right down to the earth -> this worked as long as I always keep grazing it very tight but once a bit of scutch grass is allowed to form it comes back again.

What does work?

• Home bred calves left in the place from birth to at least 6 months and during the active months of the Summer so that they are exposed to the babesiosis from the ticks
    • Using Imizol as Prevention this means double dosing at the rate of 2.0 ml/ 100 kg body weight -> expensive and impacts the animal plus you cannot send to the factory for 213 days after (426 days if in organics)

Symptoms

Initially it causes a fever in cattle so different animals can react differently, and the same animal can react differently depending on how far gone. But signs to watch out for is

• Early stages, animal may be acting odd, it may seem like it is being spooked by something in the distance and may be flighty. Mild temperature. Piss may still be clear.
    • Medium stage, animal doesn't always stay with the others but sometimes they do, seems off and not inclined to graze. Will have a Temperature and will be passing Tea to Wine color piss. It will also piss often too. You really need to be catching them at this stage and if you do they should be getting Imizol asap as they can go to the next stage in a couple of hours.
    • Later stages. animal lying on its own, froth from the mouth, you can hear the heart banging. When you put it up it will only stand for a while but will lay down again. Can be aggressive, shaking the head and staggering. They will not piss often now if at all but they can make a piping hot Shite bloody shite. They are in big trouble at this stage, Imizol on it's own will not cure them as the heart may fail. They will need a blood transfusion to survive, so you'll have the vet out. Have a healthy animal available for him to get blood from and insist that he performs the transfusion. Never-mind any of the Treacle, Sugar and eggs mularky. It's Imizol and Blood transfusion is the only thing that can save the animal.

Unfortunately for me it has been a costly exercise to learn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭50HX

Thanks Patsy for the description and update

Vet was saying Bayticol only lasts about 6 weeks.

I texted the Vet morning after he gave cow blood transfusion for redwater to say she has passed urine (kidneys functioning). He texted back to say - see her passing dung was just as important.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭minerleague

epsom salts best if not passing dung, doesn't seem to be as many ticks on cattle this year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Often one of the earliest signs b4 the animal shows any signs of sickness is the dung will shoot out straight from the behind. It will be soft and runny.

The treacle 'mularky' is to prevent the dry murrin which the vet advised Lime Tree Farm about.

This can be fatal and it's a cruel death for any beast. We used to use molasses when we had problems on rented ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

I have a case of it at the moment, bought in cattle for summer grazing but all injected for it as I has one last year as well but survived and recovered fine. Vet says the younger they get it the better chance they have, had tb test yesterday so he injected him again and he makes up his own "purge" organic powered that he has got 2 doses of. Looks a bit better today and ate a bit of nuts. Fingers crossed

Hard to catch them from the start as the guys say they just look off but by yesterday he was lying on his own. Hope the cow makes it Patsy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,119 ✭✭✭✭Base price

How is she today Patsy.

Keeping the grass grazed down helps prevent it, but equally young stock need to be exposed to it on rough grazing to acquire immunity.

Watch bought in 10 days in for symptoms, I believe once they are infected and treated, that's it they won't get it again

Years back two of bought in got it, one died the other survived a bold transfusion. The remainder were given a double dose preventative, they weren't in the better of it, sickly looking and set back for a week.

She's that bit better, thanks. She passed clear water this morning and dung was only a bit on the solid side. Just let her out there now, near the shed and she went away grazing.

By the way, Vet said not to give her hay as it will cause constipation. Grass and meal better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Is land high in P / K more prone to red water

I’d say definitely not 😂😂. I’ve an out farm that has more rushes, briars and whins than grass on it, gets one bag/acre of pasture Sward in April every year, had to get soil samples done on it a few years ago, the results couldn’t have been any worse. I only graze enough cows and calves on it to stop it from getting completely overgrown and if i put an animal on it that was wasn’t grazing on it as a calf they’d have red water within a few weeks, it’s alive with ticks.

Is red water not a crap land problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Omallep2

Another habitat for tick is the overgrown margin behind an electric fence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,918 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It’s not a crap land problem, but can be farm / vein specific. The best of land in Meath can have it. I think there is a vaccine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

My grandfather in Roscommon in the thirties had rented land land some 20 miles away, minded by a local. my uncle (his son) told me how from time to time a telegram would come from the minder that an animal had redwater. After some years of this he stocked the land with horses one winter.

They ate the ground to the butt, and lower. That ended his problem.

Advertisement