Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Yeah Id even love to see them both in there together. I think Rodgers will make a fine starting inside forward too. I think Shanagher has the potential to be very effective at this level, we’ve seen flashes like v Waterford last year, it’s coaching that will be so crucial with him imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I have to say I'm loving these alerts for a new post, it's almost like being in the pub.

I think it's a bit late about talking about Shanagher's potential, he has 17 championship appearances under his belt, saying that he's too similar to SoD so I don't know if you could play the 2 of them together from the start but could you imagine springing 1 of them against a tired defense along with Rodgers, no one could cope with us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

Possibly but I like having two good lads at winning their own ball up top. Especially when Lohan likes to play that ball direct. The only issue is that SOD and Shanagher‘a scoring returns are very uneven (for want of a word!).

I though the last day, with the Kelly/Galvin/Shanagher, it got very predictable because we all know Kelly and Galvin are secondary ball players. So 90% of our ball hit in versus Tipp went to Shanagher. Tipp knew this and dropped Ronan Maher deep at left half back. It cancelled him out and we couldn’t make it stick for most of the second half. That did change late on when Rodgers came in and brought more balance.

Tomorrow is a different day though. They’ll have more spare defenders. I guess a lot of conventional thinking goes out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

Yeah, Shanagher needs to play well tomorrow or we're in heat. However we've seen him preform on the big days before. I think maybe this could be it and if Wexford wanted to quiet him they'd have to make some serious changes, other than matt O'Hanlon I don't see a Wexford back whod stop him.

Wexford also don't have a man for Kelly. He should cause havoc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

Shanaher wins ball. Others do not. We have had too many players who need to be fed rathar than a feeder.

Look, go back to Conor Clancy? How many scores did he make vs how many did he score. The problem isn't Shanaher the problem is the workload he's carrying at the moment. Sure I'd like his wrists to the more like Tony Kellys but they aren't. Shannaher is the first name on the forwards list after Kelly if O'Donnel isn't available.

Shanagher gets picked ahead of Taylor, McCarthy, Galvin, Riedy any day for ball winning reasons.

I heard Peter Duggan is back in the country.... doubt he will turn up today.. but it will have Davy Fitz thinking!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Hopeful Davy can over think everything once again and get himself in the way of Wexford winning.

Interesting to see where agony plays and how Wexford mark him after last year.

clare by 2 points

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Clare closing down the puck out well so far, giving no option to the Wexford goalie

Great score

Not pushing up that time, Wexford will puck out to the corner backs all day if they're let

Terrible wide by Malone

• Advertisement

Great corner back play by Hayes

Jesus Malone just dropped the hurley when there was no-one near him

Lucky not to concede a goal there

And then Malone scores a goal, I'll forgive him his other 2 mistakes.

7 point swing there, great point by Malone as well

Jesus we're flying it, 1-6 to 1 after 11 minutes is a flying start by anyones reckoning.

Conlon took way too much out of that, had options all over the place

Ahhh Malone dropped the ball there.

Great puck out by Quilligan, fine point by McCarthy

1-9 to 0-3 at the water break, what a performance so far, on top everywhere.

Bad wide by Taylor, that'd have been a kick in the nuts

• Advertisement

Bad wide from Reidy, 4 bad wides for us so far

That goal came straight from Reidy's miss

Another bad wide

That's better, good score from Taylor

Great score from Shanagher

Another terrible wide from Malone, 7 wides at least 5 of those should have been scored, we are letting Wexford back into this big time

Reidy did well to get a free there

What an aimless hit by Quilligan there, we've let Wexford back into this majorily

"only" 5 points up at half time, should have been up by at least twice that much

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

5 points up.. could me more, could be less.. need to get a bit smarter on the ball, Quilligans line straight to a single full forward was not smart...

Advertisement