Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

The number may show as 90% because of various issues, for instance a friend of mine was vaccinated in NI as carer to his elderly parents and a work colleague who is a US citizen got vaccinated there when she had to travel as her mother died.

"foreign nationals" are a mixed bunch, many will want a vaccine as you will need it go on a plane and many young people will be influenced by this also.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

What efficacy reasons exactly? J&J is highly effective against the Delta variant. Get the J&J jab.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

• Registered Users Posts: 68,997 ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's more cohorts than that, the dashboard is not live and first doses are outstripping second at the moment.

Your maths don't work. At all. Your belief is wrong.

If the Romanian doses arrive, there will be headroom for a significant acceleration but right now there simply are not and your attempts to try bodge the maths don't actually work in the real world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,672 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

David Higgins on Twitter registered for his vaccine this morning and got the text 12 hours later. That's savage going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Are they not talking about surge capacity again for this wave?

So if they cancel operations and procedures, lockdown will follow. It's all about protecting the hospitals.

Why they will lockdown I don't know. They seem to be expecting the public to take the hit time and time again instead of increasing hospital and ICU capacity to cope with this virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

The company itself has said that but hasn't released any data yet. From comparisons with previous datasets and trials, we know that the mRNA vaccines generally grant greater protection over AZ and J&J.

This is not to say the J&J vaccine is useless or should be avoided, but comparative statements about efficacy are fair game.

In terms of how you weight a few weeks wait with no protection against that - I'm not sure, but there are efficacy differences here.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭guyfawkes5

Experiences will vary, but my recent reschedule request came back within a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

Let me try to explain again as you're not getting it.

Not everyone who goes for a first dose comes back for a second. Maybe 95% do but for whatever reason some don't

That is why there is a difference between first and second doses in cohorts that were completed months ago.

There simply aren't nursing home residents who got a first dose in January anxiously awaiting their second appointment. And for you to add them to those who are due a second dose is disingenuous and ridiculous.

Cohorts 1,2,3,4 and 5 are now effectively completed although there will be a small amount of stragglers

The difference between Cohort 7 and 9 first and second doses is 334,792.

First doses given so far in july are approx 200,000.

So maximum number of second doses due in July is 135,000. Even if every single person came back for a second dose.

The number of those left in the 18-34 cohort who would take a nRNA if offered is 300,000 maximum.

There are 457,000 mRNA vaccines in storage according to the HSE ( 393,277 Pfizer and 63729 Moderna)

So we have more than enough vaccines in storage to vaccinate everyone that wants a vaccine if we had the capacity to deliver them.

We don't which is why it will take weeks more.

These are official HSE figures. They are not figures I pulled out of a hat. If you want to argue against me use the official figures to do so as I have done.

And accept the establishment media narrative of the 1million romanian vaccines and supply constraints is a big con and you've been fooled.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Around the same for me in Citywest today about 12. The heat in those tents was something else though when queueing!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I have an instance of someone vaccinated early on in the rollout, that don't show up as vaccinated on the HSE end (they could have re-registered for a 3rd vaccination and the system wouldn't have known). Has there been many incidents like this? I would hope it's quite rare.

I'm entirely getting it. You aren't.

Your maths do not add up. Whatever population figures you think apply are entirely wrong for starters.

Believe what the hell conspiracy theory you want, just don't expect other people to agree with you when your justification appears to be back of a fag packet maths where someone has torn off half the box.

An utterly contemptible reply. You throw out childish schoolyard insults but there is no attempt whatsoever to defend your position with any logic.

You don't seem to have any idea what the population awaiting a vaccine is

You don't have any understanding of how a supply chain works

Your claims are devoid of logic to begin with

And its quite clear you're doing it to try push some conspiracy theory about logistical issues.

When you can actually make arguments that begin to make numerical sense, there may be something to try defeat (not defend my point, but make it clear that yours is nonsense) but until then, there just isn't

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

Where are you getting the figure of only 300k left who'd take an mrna vaccine?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,845 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

He just makes the figures up and ignores anyone who challenges them.

We were allegedly, or the HSE allegedly stashing away 1 million mRNA vaccines in freezers by the end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

They are talking shite as usual and making up figures. Pure wind up job.

Official CSO figures are that there are 1,000,000 in the 18=34 cohort

Assume 80% take up (It was 83% in 40s so we can reasonably assume it will be lower for younger people)

That leaves 800,000

Approx 290,000 in this cohort have received a mRNA already through a GP or as part of Cohort 4,7 or 2 through a MVC.

90,000 in this cohort have already received a Janssen jab ( another 10,000 to 50s)

HSE has said it would give another 120,000 from the 250,000 Janssen in storage to the pharmacies over next week.

That leaves 300,000. If anything this is an overestimation.

HSE has not released figures for number of registrations for 30-34 or 25 -29 cohort.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭franciscanpunk

Given we've given 5 million done, there approx 4million 16+ in ireland at mainly 2 doses(a few j and j by 1 shot) so 7.5\8 million max. even with a big uptake its prob 7 million doses total all considered. even conservative 250k doses per week(plus a few in the freezer :-), mid september supply meets demand - probably start secondary schools then.

Not sure I said a million but close enough.

Back of a fag box calculation

830,000 vaccines administered in July

175,000 AZ , 100, 000 Janssen

So approx 555,000 mRNA administered in July. Add that to the 460,000 we currently have in storage.

That makes over a million mRNA. How many were delivered in July?

• Advertisement

Let's simplify....

~3.8 million adults (I know 16+ / 18+ is a difference)

100k J&J done (100k fully vaxxed)

AZ for the most part done.... say 1.2 mil (600k fully vaxed)

3.7mil mRNA given out..... that's at most 1850k fully vaccinated

Gives a total of 2.5mil fully vaccinated out of 3.8mil.

Assuming 80% uptake = 540k needing 2 doses..... 1.08mil jabs.

3x more than 300k as you alluded to!

Assuming a 90% uptake.... that's 1.84mil doses needed.... 6x your estimate.

Can you please.... for the love of god.... show where the 460k in storage is quoted?

You said previously the HSE were forced to give the figure.... where is that official figure quoted?

Your calculations are off.

Essentially everybody over 35 has received a first dose by now. There are 332,000 second doses left for over 35s. 200,000 of these in August

There are 1.000.000 in the 18-34 cohort. These are the only ones that are left to be offered a vaccine.

My contention is that with 20% vaccine hesitancy, 290,000 already done through other cohorts and GPs with mRNA and 200,000 Janssen when completed the number remaining is at most 300,000

You're making assumptions with no facts or evidence behind it.

Everyone over 35 has not received a first dose by now.

You're assuming 20% hesitancy.... based off what? Your gut?

290k done already out of the 18-34 group.... based on what?

I've already explained the figures to you above, I suggest you look at them.

HSE is now releasing daily data on total number of vaccines administered. This can be cross checked against data from the ECDC in relation to vaccine deliveries to Ireland.

https://covid19.shanehastings.eu/vaccines/

The number of over 35s that have not been offered a first dose by now is minimal.

Based on that vaccine hesitancy gets larger as you go down in age cohorts and it was 17% for 40s. Entirely reasonable that it would be at least that for people in their 20s.

HSE released figures a few weeks ago showing that 25% of 18-34 cohort had already received at least one jab. Combination of GPs, HCWs in Cohort 2 and Cohort 4/7.

Your figures are adding in hundreds of thousands of people over 35 as awaiting vaccines. This is nonsensical.

So you took those figures on the page and that's what you're basing your figures on...

Have a look at the source data.... Belgium & Iceland have administered more vaccines then they got delivered.

It's not 100% accurate... or there's a delay with it. We also do not know when the deliveries arrive in Ireland and when the ECDC page gets updated.

Show me your workings:

3.8mil adults in Ireland... assuming 20%/10% hesitancy - 3.42 needing vaccination

100k J&J have been administered.....

1.2mil AZ have been administered.....

3.8mil mRNA have been administered....

How many more people need to be vaccinated?

*Administered figures as per HSE Vaccine Dashboard

ECDC delivery figures updated twice a week, HSE administered figures daily.

Once again it is entirely nonsensical and ridiculous for you to conclude that over a million over 35s are still awaiting vaccines . This is not the case

I never said over 1 million over 35's were waiting for vaccines....

Again....

3.8mil adults in Ireland... assuming 10% hesitancy - 3.42mil needing vaccination

100k J&J have been administered..... 100k fully vaccinated

1.2mil AZ have been administered..... 600k fully vaccinated

3.8mil mRNA have been administered.... 1.9mil fully vaccinated

How many more people need to be vaccinated? 2.6mil fully vaccinated.... take that from 3.42mil.... gives 820k people or 1.64mil doses of mRNA

*Administered figures as per HSE Vaccine Dashboard

Let me help you fill the answers in bold

• Advertisement

You are using hundreds of thousands of over 35s to increase your figures for numbers left to be vaccinated. This is completely disingenuous as these people have already been offered vaccines.

The only cohort left to be vaccinated is the 18-34s .

Advertisement