Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to close account?

2»

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

So, And spell it out for me, What problem does that pose for you if you just don't log in anymore, What about the scrambled password, What grief does that cause you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭mojesius

This is a giant smelly ballsack of a revamp. Please revert to previous site state and we'll never mention this again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

It's a GDPR requirement that you can have your personal data deleted when you close your account. It's not much personal data but boards does have some minimal contact information like your email address which they delete when you close your account. On the old site I could have directed you to their GDPR policy on the subject.

Edit: There is also other personal information that they collect like the IP address that you use to connect.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

Wake me up when it's all over.

How do I close my account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

I use the mobile site 95% of the time and I think that's where I've just been horrified.

The desktop version is missing a dark mode and the layout's still a bit over heavy on the whitespace, but it looks ok and works.

The mobile site is just a crock of .... and that's why I was contemplating closing up and leaving.

I'm only interacting with the site until this issue is resolved. A very pertinent question also is; Why can't I close my account?

I do not wish to be a statistic in support of this paradigm shift.

Boards has been great, it is great. Having a week without, I have realised it has became a toxic addiction that I no longer need in my life. I'm already sucked back into pointless arguments (this one for example). Closing my account would preferable so it will be harder to be tempted back. Imagine you were an alcoholic trying not to drink, but kept bottles of booze around the house. Why not get rid of the booze altogether if you have the option.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

When a well enough respected and knowledgeable mod wants out, you know it's been an absolute mess of an upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Pardon my ignorance but that feature where if there was a new post in one of my subscribed threads a number would appear in the top right.....is that gone? BTW I don't mind change if it is for the better but the way boards is now I find it very confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Just chill peeps. A couple of vinos in yissss tonight and you'll learn it all within minutes with that cool chilled vino brain 🤔🥂☺️

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Has anyone got a response on how to close account. Not only is the format of the site no longer user friendly, they also removed access to sex and sexuality forum from long time posters and reserved for subscribers only now. Another reason to leave it seems.

Moderators how do i close my account and have all associated data purged ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,531 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I don't believe there’s a way to close your account at the minute on either the Desktop or the Touch version of the site. I reckon an email to hello [at] boards [dot] ie would get this resolved much quicker due to the volume of things that would take priority over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭...__...

Did you even read that? Nothing in it pertinent to the thread just a lazy here's a how to post...

Thanks Shield (miss that button). I expected as much, I noticed you posted the same in legacy threads.

If I was a developer I'd put it to the bottom of my priorities. It'll make less favourable site stats. Sponsers/investors hate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I'm just sharing it and yes I did but you do what you feel you must with that information.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Sex & Sexuality was only available to subscribers for a long time but was opened up in the past 2-3 years to users who requested access. If this access list has not followed across to this platform then that is an issue we need to look at, not a decision of any kind. Did you have access and can no longer get in?

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

Yes i had access for approx 2-3 years and lost when site moved over.

Can you let me know the process for closing my account and having data removed under GDPR

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Everyone wanting to close their accounts . I've a novel idea. Just stop using the site... or read the first couple of posts on thread for instructions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭con747

Some people saying just don't log in anymore so just leave any information Boards have on you sitting here, sure why not. 🙄 If you have read this thread from the very start when first opened you would not know that Boards put in a post #2 to explain how to close your account so if your like me and don't start reading a thread from the start every time you check for new posts you would not know that now would you. So maybe some people should take that into consideration before commenting.

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,113 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"Boards put in a post #2 to explain how to close your account, if you don't start reading a thread from the start every time you would not know that"

I saw this tagged as 'answered' and read through all the new posts only to come across this at the end. It's a nice feature to have, if you know it exists and how it works,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Is this just me or have post id numbers gone? I can't see any number on a post any more, they used to be at the right side & were very useful to find a particular post with helpful information that you might want to look back at. Especially if it was in a popular thread that had dozens or even hundreds of pages.

The search within a thread is missing too or maybe it's somewhere & I can't see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭beachhead

It's shite.Posts I put up since change can't be founds.Dicussions drop down is overpopulated with obscure rubbish and I noticed adverts appearing towards the last pages of it.Dodgy looking adverts or are they an irish joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Request to close my account.

Since there’s no option to do so, I’m asking it to be done manually.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

To close my account what email address do I need to use as the one associated with my Boards name no longer exists?

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

You can email us anyway and tell us what the email address associated with the account is, even if you no longer have access to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

EDIT: Deleted to move to more recent thread.

Advertisement