Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Apprenticeship interview - what to wear

• 17-07-2021 2:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

I have an interview coming up for an electrical apprenticeship in a large scale manufacturing plant.

My first thought is a shirt and tie with black chino type pants, but would this be overkill? Would they think that I’m not up to the dirty conditions involved in the actual work?

It probably doesn’t matter, but it’s wrecking my head, and I want this job, so any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

White Shirt and black trousers are professional. Tie is also ok and would not overkill. Better 'more' than 'less': being well-dressed at an interview shows respect for the employer.

(As for the 'up to the dirty conditions involved in the actual work', just make a referral during the interview, preferably a joke. show self-homour and self-esteem and the role will be yours)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭BuzzMcdonnell

Thanks for the reply! That has put my mind at ease, I think I was overthinking things. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Liam32123

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I switched jobs recently. From one warehousing role to another albeit totally different type of work. Due to time constraints I had to go straight from my previous job to meet the MD for an interview so went in my everyday gear. Safety boots, work pants etc. Bit grimey and unkempt. Got offered the job the next day. Not saying if I had worn a shirt and tie that I wouldn't have gotten the job but knowing what I know now about the job I looked the part at the time cos its a job where I'd be fairly filthy at the end of the day. Didn't hurt I'd say that he knew from looking at me that I didn't mind getting down in the dirt.

It worked for me but thats just me.

Best of luck with it. Hope it works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Outfit you've proposed is perfectly fine. If it's a large scale manufacturing plant then odds are it's a multinational and the people interviewing will be in business casual which is the class of an outfit you've chosen. Agree with the poster that said a tie would be fine too but not essential.

Good luck with it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement