Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NEW ALBUMS (released within last month/30 days) Worth a Listen

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,319 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I am enjoying Entertainment by Spirit of The Beehive. Might not be to everyone's taste, the songs all have this deliberately chopped up and all over the place quality, and it contains many wild turns from song to song.

But, I dunno it's keeping me interested after listening several times and what initially seems a bit mad and disjointed eventually works if you give it time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Arghus wrote: »
    I am enjoying Entertainment by Spirit of The Beehive. Might not be to everyone's taste, the songs all have this deliberately chopped up and all over the place quality, and it contains many wild turns from song to song.

But, I dunno it's keeping me interested after listening several times and what initially seems a bit mad and disjointed eventually works if you give it time.

i read the pitchfork review and i'm still trying to decide if i love or hate it or maybe both , few more listens needed

peteeeed wrote: »
    i read the pitchfork review and i'm still trying to decide if i love or hate it or maybe both , few more listens needed

I know what you mean. Is this just shyte has entered my head on a few occasions, but, I dunno, I'm still listening to it and more of it works for me as time goes on.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The Jinx Lennon album is definitely worth a listen.

Thread is very quiet...

The new album by Iceage is getting a lot of hype. At first listen it does seem pretty good and I think it'll be a grower.

Some good songs, this one in particular is great, big grand widescreen quality, reminiscent of the ambitious side of Brit-Pop?

• Advertisement

The squid album lives up to the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 10,640 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Oh, thanks for the reminder!
    6 music kept playing Narrator and I thought it was brilliant, looking forward to giving the album a spin later

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭divide_by_zero

The new Royal Blood album out last week is great, might not be for everyone but I think it's so much better than the last one. Glume's record The Internet is worth a listen.

Remember Sports released a new album last week as well, Like a Stone. Really wasn't sure what I thought of it after the first listen but it's definitley a grower.

Maybe not for everyone on here but Gojira's new one, Fortitude is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

I did think the orwells had a few great songs but they were very inconsistent and then the **** storm but i find MC 's music just bliss

https://youtu.be/1X4nNd_3nPE

It's pretty great so far. Narrator is an absolute banger.

Still enjoying the Iceage album. Thought it was great at first, then thought maybe it wasn't as good as that, then came around again. The songs are all very strong and the whole album is consistent. The secret is to play it really loud.

Some good stuff coming out at the moment. And new stuff from St Vincent and Black Mass on Friday.

• Advertisement

As mentioned above...

New St. Vincent, Daddy's Home, is out today. It's another change of style, big 70's funk and soul vibe off it. So far, I like it, I'm a big fan, but she's never topped Actor/Strange Mercy era for me and her later stuff was fitfully brilliant, rather than downright inspired. But so far so good with this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

The Black Keys gone back to their blues sound with their latest album, really enjoying it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭mosstin

As mentioned above...

New St. Vincent, Daddy's Home, is out today. It's another change of style, big 70's funk and soul vibe off it. So far, I like it, I'm a big fan, but she's never topped Actor/Strange Mercy era for me and her later stuff was fitfully brilliant, rather than downright inspired. But so far so good with this one.

Very early days with this but really not getting into it at all. I just find it annoying more than anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

mosstin wrote: »
    Very early days with this but really not getting into it at all. I just find it annoying more than anything else.

Over hyped blandness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

4Ad wrote: »
    Over hyped blandness.

That's pretty typical of her in fairness.

I've never warmed to her stuff at all.

I think it was 2018 2017 and I went to see her in the Olympia and was unbelievably nonplussed about the whole experienced. Definitely one of those gigs where I feel like I missed something, cos everyone else was enthralled.

That's pretty typical of her in fairness.

I've never warmed to her stuff at all.

I think it was 2018 and I went to see her in the Olympia and was unbelievably nonplussed about the whole experienced. Definitely one of those gigs where I feel like I missed something, cos everyone else was enthralled.

To each their own but I think you're being harsh enough there!

I think Actor and Strange Mercy are great records, really weird and angular. There's a real edge to those records, something kinda intentionally off or sick. Far from bland in my book - listen to something like Black Rainbow or Northern Lights from that era, both mad chaotic songs - and not really fitting neatly into categories. For better or worse, I don't think there's anyone else quite like her.

I'd accept that what she's done since then has been less interesting, because it has been for me. A lot of her earlier weirdness isn't there in quite the same way and her albums seem to be as much motivated by persona and concept as they are by the music, but I still find her a really interesting artist and I appreciate that what she puts out is never a re-hash of what's she has put out before.

I went to see her as well in 2017 and I totally get what you are saying, but, I dunno, I enjoyed what she was trying to do, even if the show didn't rock my socks off. She leaned a lot on the new material from 2017 in that show and that was definitely her most straight ahead and consciously pop material. It's a cliché, but her earlier stuff is better.

As for the new album after a good few listens: it's good IMO. Maybe not great though. It has a very good opening half, some of which is pretty raw, but the second half is slightly samey. And some songs are all about the production and arrangement, when it wouldn't hurt to focus more on the songwriting and I wouldn't mind her returning to actually trying to rock a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I think Actor and Strange Mercy are great records, really weird and angular. There's a real edge to those records, something kinda intentionally off or sick. Far from bland in my book - listen to something like Black Rainbow or Northern Lights from that era, both mad chaotic songs - and not really fitting neatly into categories. For better or worse, I don't think there's anyone else quite like her.

I'd accept that what she's done since then has been less interesting, because it has been for me. A lot of her earlier weirdness isn't there in quite the same way and her albums seem to be as much motivated by persona and concept as they are by the music, but I still find her a really interesting artist and I appreciate that what she puts out is never a re-hash of what's she has put out before.

I went to see her as well in 2017 and I totally get what you are saying, but, I dunno, I enjoyed what she was trying to do, even if the show didn't rock my socks off. She leaned a lot on the new material from 2017 in that show and that was definitely her most straight ahead and consciously pop material. It's a cliché, but her earlier stuff is better.

As for the new album after a good few listens: it's good IMO. Maybe not great though. It has a very good opening half, some of which is pretty raw, but the second half is slightly samey. And some songs are all about the production and arrangement, when it wouldn't hurt to focus more on the songwriting and I wouldn't mind her returning to actually trying to rock a bit more.

GAWD! That gig was October 2017! Not 2018! Christ. That's completely messed my memory frame there.

I didn't think I was being harsh. I'm just saying I just haven't warmed to her. It's just never clicked after multiple attempts. It's unlikely to now.

It reminds of the effort I tried to put into Joan as Policewoman back in the day. My ex was obsessed and I just couldn't hear it. No idea, just wasn't there for me. That's how I feel about StV.

I will of course give the new album a rumble over the next month or so. But my expectations are low shall we say.:)

Yeah, 2017. Time flies like a banana... or something, I guess.

I will admit that a lot of my affection for her comes from the Actor Era. It felt like she struck a perfect balance then between nice and nasty. Orchestral type arrangements, that would suddenly take a detour into frenzy, or poppy songs that might have a breakdown of horribly distorted noise, I still can never tire of that tune Marrow. Though, to be fair, that isn't really like the latest stuff in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Jesus, I don't get her at all. No melody to her songs. Just random warblings. You mentioned weird a few times in your post. Weird does not automatically mean good.

I feel there's an element of the emperors new clothes about Annie. Was she marketed strongly back in the day to get a couple of "cool, alternative votes", and then it was trendy to jump on the bandwagon.

You picked the song Marrow. I threw it on there, presuming that if that's a highlight it must be fairly decent. All I hear is that chunky background noise, and again nothing catchy about t he song.

Sorry, I know for you I'm being over critical. But I just cannot see anything at all in her music to even give it a chance. For me it's quite pretentious.
    But it's good that it does it for you (and many others), so maybe it's just me that's more the fool.

Sault - Nine out today
    on my 2nd listen

• Advertisement

Love the new Spellling album

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭VM Varga

ShaneU wrote: »

I like that tune.

ShaneU wrote: »

Was a huge fan of her last album - a criminally overlooked album - so I was pretty hyped for this one. It needs more time with me. Though this song is the clear standout for me so far:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Lightning Bug - A Color of the Sky

An album of gentle beauty. Highly recommended

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

I need to give it a few more listens. Definitely hasn't grabbed me as quickly as Immunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Been a while since I posted anything here but The Vegan Leather's new record 'Furious, Not Ominous' is really, really good. They can of remind me of The Chalets, if anyone remembers them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭mosstin

Been a while since anyone posted anything on here.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Big Thief - Warm Dragon etc etc is a cracker of an album

Ye Vagabonds new album

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Super Champion - Otoboke Beaver

In a very similar vein to their debut, which I loved. Sounds good so far.

Advertisement