Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drum mower

• 08-06-2021 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Thinking of investing in a Drum Mower for my Tractor which is a 2wd Massey Ferguson 265 can they cut rushes my rushes aren’t big they have been well controlled over the years any Advice would be appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭minerleague

MicraK10 wrote: »
    Thinking of investing in a Drum Mower for my Tractor which is a 2wd Massey Ferguson 265 can they cut rushes my rushes aren’t big they have been well controlled over the years any Advice would be appreciated

Can U still get drum mowers new ? Most people go for plain disk mower these days, have MF 265 here and use it with 8 foot Lely disk mower. Well able to cut and top fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Can U still get drum mowers new ? Most people go for plain disk mower these days, have MF 265 here and use it with 8 foot Lely disk mower. Well able to cut and top fields.

Yeah you can still get a new drum mower.
    Website below is Kuhn UK but presume it's the same here. Also probablyplenty of other makes.

https://www.kuhn.co.uk/hay-forage/mowers/drum-mowers/rear-mounted-drum-mowers

Now a disc mower might be a more versatile machine better for topping and mowing meadow or if just for rushes or where you might hit a stone then a topper might be a better more affordable piece of equipment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭maidhc

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/28379671

Looks like a generic drum mower, should do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Drum mowers are a great job. I got a second hand one last year. Will cut anything I throw at it. I had a patch of heavy rushes and rough ground and it mowed them all down. Had to take it easy but because it sits on the ground it moves with the slope of the land. I find it a great job. Had a standard single blade topper before this.

The drum mower gets right down to about 4cm. Blades are handy to replace or put on. Hit a stone last year, blades came off one drum, just had to be put back on. I find it very hardy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Sami23

Yeah you can still get a new drum mower.
    Website below is Kuhn UK but presume it's the same here. Also probablyplenty of other makes.

https://www.kuhn.co.uk/hay-forage/mowers/drum-mowers/rear-mounted-drum-mowers

Now a disc mower might be a more versatile machine better for topping and mowing meadow or if just for rushes or where you might hit a stone then a topper might be a better more affordable piece of equipment.

Big difference in price between a drum and disc mower though.
    If OP only wants it for cutting rushes I agree a topper would be best option.
    If he wants to cut a few meadows also a drum mower be perfect as hard to justify approx 8k for a disc mower as they very hard to buy 2nd hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭jaginsligo

I have a mf135 & got a pz135 earlier in the year, worked out the best job in the end, can do a bit of topping & cut silage/hay. Only draw back if topping heavy stuff leaves it in a swarth compare to topper. It's ideal size for my 135, I'm sure yours would drive a bigger one

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 13 delldelivery

Topping off light rushes be a grand job.

Cutting heavy clumps with a mower and leaving them lying on the top of the ground isn't a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Sami23

Topping off light rushes be a grand job.

Cutting heavy clumps with a mower and leaving them lying on the top of the ground isn't a great job.

Another problem with using a good enough drum mower for topping is it gets covered in sh**te including the underneath and is hard to wash them underneath so they'd rot fairly fast I'd imagine with continued use.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭archer22

The saucers are notorious for rotting also the top part of the frame where it dust covers the drum..if that gets badly holed it will allow debris to build up and harden in the drum causing a balance problem.
    They will cut heavy rushes but you may have to work in a very low gear as they can jam up very easily but usually clear themselves by lifting and setting down again.

One of them working well though can do a very good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭148multi

MicraK10 wrote: »

Khun / pz make drum mowers with wind down saucers for topping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭farmer2018

I want something for €500-€1000 for light topping and hay. What's the best mower?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 2 Helical

Test

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

Drum mower will cut a meadow cleaner and tighter than a disc mower, especially on a wet lodged crop. The drum mower is far cheaper than a disc mower, you can still pick up brand new ones for less than 2k

The disc mower will be quicker as it can cuts wider, typical disc mower for an 80-100hp tractor will be 6ft 6 to 8ft.

For topping rushers or general topping any disc mower is miles ahead of a drum mower. Most disc mowers will come with skids for topping which is a great job as you can top rushers, thistles, docs etc without shaving the ground like a drum mower. For topping you can run the disc mower on the high rpm 1000 and you can keep the revs low and it will top away no problem and you'll burn feck all diesel.

On rough ground where you meet stones, mutes and go bogging the disc mower will out last a drum mower. All it takes is one stone to jam between the 2 drums and your drum mower is on borrowed time.

Thanks. What's the best disc mower? Would a lely splendimo be good?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

The best small disc mower is made by kuhn, but they are expensive. Idk about the splendimo, I read bad reviews on here or on the british farming form I think

I would be probably be better off with a drum mower so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,523 ✭✭✭White Clover

Id recommend a disc mower but not a Lely.

They have a dry bed which seems to be unreliable. Any of the other makes with oil in the bed would be fine.

What's a Fahr KM22 mower like?

Or can anyone recommend a cheap and cheerful disc mower?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭minerleague

Commented before that I have an 8' lely splendimo here and get on fine with it ( had 5' 6" before ) Bed has liquid grease in it. There is a shaft that runs the length of mower bed instead of gears passing power from one disc to another and if this shaft bends or warps you are in big repair bills ( no direct knowledge of this) A lot of disc mowers out there have similar make up ( comer beds etc) and if minded will probably last most farmers a long time. Often think with modern tractor cabs driver cant hear if mower hits a stone or lump of timber and drives on with blade hitting bed.

Advertisement