Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭archfi

Absolutely works (and I guess can be applied to other sites where whitespace is a problem)

Took all of 32 seconds from download to copy/paste code, I timed it :)

Cheers

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Thanks for this - absolutely makes a difference (and I've never used Stylus before this post!)

There still seems to be a lot of wasted space on either side, but it's less than it was. I tried changing the value to 120% but it only seems to reduce the right side?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭antimatterx

Em, I was capable of finding it regardless of your "help", I was just pointing out that search isn't working like people expect it to

It's great, isn't it? 😀

theres zero wasted space for me on Firefox, btw but I never maximise browser

this is essential for whitespace filled sites.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

Maybe a Chrome thing then - this is what I see:

• Advertisement

I can see same if i max the size of browser window - I always have mine set at about 80% of screen.

Ahh OK. I have dual screens so have the browser maxxed on the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,010 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I went to look for your post after reading it and then going back and it moved from the top of page 24 to the middle of page 23. Wow.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

@Necro

Not possible to edit a post being quoted at present but that's not really a bad thing per se.

^^^

@Necro this is the closest one can get to editing a quote, but I’ve manually tagged you to denote that you’re the originator of the quoted text.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My original post

Isn't the whole point of this particualr change or feature that it reduces the amount of data stored on the servers?

I may be wrong but my thinking is the new system stores the original copy of the message and digs out that copy when its quoted.

Need to test this but I suspect if someone makes a post and its quoted then they delete their post the quote will be blank - changes will also be reflected in the quote - maybe ?

If someone quotes me I'll delete this and see what happens.

I was wrong.

Post edited by The Continental Op on

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

The new look is a whole load of meh. Bland soft wishy washy rounded looking text is a pain to try and read afaic. I don't like it one bit.

I can't even find my previous posts, can't edit profile, lost profile pic... probably loads more to follow.

I'm on Firefox (yeah, I'm oldskool).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Massive thank you @_Kaiser_ (for mentioning Dark Reader) and @[Deleted User] (for the CSS code & Stylus mention). Still a ton of wasted space on either side but better than before and much easier on the eyes.

Another gripe that seems so obvious to me why aren't new messages (PMs in the old language) highlighted on the envelope icon? Yes they are noted on the bell icon notification pull down but are easily missed when there have been 50 posts since you last visited.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Like it. Boards was so old fashioned.

So now deleted my post and the quotes stand same as they were when the first quoted me.

I think that's the default for most websites when browser maximised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭thereitisgone

I think site is ok now, lots of fixes going on all the time, biggest gripe i have is when you click a link and it takes you away from site instead of opening a new window, if this was fixed would be great.

But ya there is something about the brightness, never had old boards in dark mode but this definitely affects your eyes after a few minutes

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Is this on the mobile site or the full site? New messages are highlighted on the envelope icon on the mobile site for me.

The only problem I have with notifications is that all notifications are hidden away in a menu that you have to click to see. I only noticed a message 15 minutes after I logged in despite having an active new message notification. Which kind of defeats the purpose of notifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

For me to use the site I need the main touch site home page back. I cannot find anything so I have not bothered to get back to normal. Flicked to the site a few times to check has it changed and then back to Apollo for reddit instead every time. It took forever to figure out how to create the one thread I needed to do since we got back online and was just torture.

And while the main website on computer looks a lot better than the touch site its also not working properly because that thread I created isn't actually in my list of posts....

This is whats urgently needed on the touch site. Its not possible to browse properly without tons of extra work which I (and I imagine lots of others) just won't do

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Azatadine

How do you delete a post on android? I can edit posts but I can't find a delete option?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,819 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

quote box is terrible, too narrow, don't like drop down effect

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

That menu nav bar needs to come back.

That was the key to boards for me. Everything can be done in seconds. With notifications in the corner and the page loading way faster.

You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Ahhh ok the website isn't much better than the mobile site... I literally found a bug just after posting the above but this thread/comment isn't appearing in "My threads" nor is it showing in the "latest posts" so I couldn't find the darn thread to add to it...... 🤯

Anyways if you narrow the screen on a desktop...

Before you narrow it:

After you narrow it boards becomes vanilla lol 😂

I will admit to liking the smileys and the treatment of copy/paste but PLEASE fix this bar latest posts/forums/threads. At the moment no new posts/comments make a thread appear in these lists from what I can see. The only ones appearing are those created before the merge

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

@archfi I think that's the default for most websites when browser maximised.

Yep you're correct there, I forgot. 🙂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Open the link in a new tab. Right-click+t is the shortcut for Firefox.

Or ctrl+left-click should open links in a new tab as well

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement