Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Just bugs / missing functionality reports - no griping

• 16-07-2021 11:13pm

Not sure how much traction this will get, but I think it's worth a shot.

Just list the things that you think are missing.

Mobile and Desktop - find all my posts is essential.

Mobile - there's no email icon unless I go looking to see if anyone has sent me an email.

Mobile - there should be a better way to view followed threads other than using the "Bookmarks" option. I currently have 368 bookmark options that apparently carried over. Most of them are dead for years.

Both - likes is not a good replacement for thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Can't seem to find option to edit or delete post just after posting also no longer get updates on forums i have just posted in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

why does it double post?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭collsoft

Why can I not search for all my previous posts?

I have some threads that I was very active on that are not in my "Bookmarks", and I cant find any way of finding my own posts.

I have tried using the search tool on my username but nothing is showing up.

Im about ready to give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭SlowBlowin

I would love to have the dark theme back !

• Registered Users Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Category breadcrumb at the bottom of a thread in desktop. (It's been added to mobile already.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arleitiss

Just visited for first time after migration and clear issues:

1) As someone using desktop at 2560x1440p - pretty much entire content is centered right in the middle of the screen, I have have huge blank spaces left on both sides and this feels just off (feels like content is squeezed)

2) Dates of posts - Really? It says todays date but it cant say Today/Yesterday when the last reply/post was made?

3) Clicking on "Contact Us" (as I want to delete my account because this is horrible now) leads to "Page Not found" Error.

4) Can't even find my own replies/posts, found only via google.

Post edited by arleitiss on

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A few things I've spotted in addition to the general issues with navigation that have already been reported.

1 - Can't see any option to change my user group from Registered User, so seeing ads that I never had to put up with before

2 - On my phone if I click into "Discussions" there's a bit of left/right movement on the screen displaying the thread titles (Firefox / Android 11)

3 - Threads in a forum are listed by last post date, but it looks like if there have been no posts since migration it actually shows the thread creation date instead.

4 - Clicking on my profile brings up My Discussions. I really don't need to see all 2,200+ threads I've posted in over the years. And the sorting order is all over the shop.

5 - If I go into the Notifications drop down and click on Mark All Read, nothing happens.

6 - The double spacing when I hit return is really, really annoying!

7 - Some of my subscribed threads have migrated over, but some definitely haven't.

Already seeing definite improvements since go-live, particularly on the desktop UI, so hopefully a lot of the remaining issues will be resolved soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

Drop down menu at the top of the site is missing on Chrome - Talk to, Topics etc. This is a critical bug as a primary means of site navigation is gone.

Dead links - About Us, Contact Us etc.

Unable to see where there are new posts in a forum, and where there are not - all threads look the same.

Page numbers on a thread link are very hard to read - the numbers need to be spaced out better.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tomcosgrave

On some pages I can see date stamps as follows - "18 Dec" - the year needs to be part of all date stamps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

1: massive waste of space down right hand side of screen ( I presume to be filled with advertising )

2: All links should open in a new tab not redirect the current tab.

3: Uploading multiple photos is difficult, I ad to do it in 2 separate threads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

4: Preview function hovering over thread title in list of threads has a bunch of markup in it.

So minor compared to everything else but the 'Go to next page' icon in multipage threads uses a double arrow-head. In the other world that goes to the last page, single arrow goes to next page ... and I do realise the last page number is immediately to the left but the arrow heads stand out compared to a list of numbers.

And what's the Escape character? This is a pretty highlighted block but I typed a 'Greater than' sign

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭ClosedAccountFuzzy

Other than the lack of a dark theme, the desktop experience is ok - some issues, not that many. Text and image input is much better. Lack of a dark them is a biggie tho. Overall the experience is close enough to the original boards.ie v.bulletin setup, just has some odd use of white space that could be tidied up.

The mobile experience is just beyond help. I don't really know where to even start with what's wrong with and that's not a grip. I just couldn't enumerate how many issues it has.

A few key things though:

• Can't find threads I posted in without a messy workaround - pretty much all the shortcuts need to be customised to suit boards. I've had to bookmark (save to my phone home screen) the URL for the comments link. It is the only way I can find it reliably, otherwise I can't see my own threads without going into my profile and sometimes I can't even navigate to that.
    • WAY too bright - perhaps make a dark mode? There's a really good opportunity to make it slick and OLED friendly.
    • Confusing navigation - no sure what you can do there.
    • Notifications make little sense - needs to be customised / redesigned.
    • I have absolutely no idea what the activity thing is about. It's just like a random thread of random things that appears when I least expect it.
    • The layers being used for things like when you tap on your profile etc often seem to not display in the latest version of Safari on iOS, or I suspect they are displaying but they're under the layer I'm looking at. Multiple refreshes don't work, you have to navigate to another part of site.

General issues impacting both:

• No dark mode.
    • Ignore seems to be limited to 5 people which is totally inadequate for the way this site is used.
    • Thanks need to show as a list of names.
    • There's a lack of date/time stamping on many areas.

After the username on posts it says "registered users", should be "registered user" singular.

Is it not possible to close your account anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,951 ✭✭✭volchitsa

As someone who likes to edit once I've seen my post, can we please get the EDIT option back ASAP?

Also: Notifications either doesn't update or only shows up direct replies: I currently only have one notification which is from July 15th. It remains there, as though I hadn't read that post (I have) and there's been nothing since, as though no activity on those threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

I don't see recent post in any thread I have followed in the Soccer forum. I know Soccer is a group now but when a new post goes into a thread in it then it would be nice/useful to see that in my thread or something like that

Basically how it used to work

• Registered Users Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

On dektop, things I can't do, which I used to be able to do:

Hover over the top menu categories for them to drop down.

Easily distinguish between thread with new content and other threads I've already read in a forum (threads with new content used to be in bold)

Make changes to the text in a post (underline, make bold, change font size)

See my own post history.

See other users' post history.

See posts which quote my posts.

Add a forum to the 'My forums' list.

Edit/reduce a post I want to quote in reply (to reply to a specific part).

See times of posts from days other than today.

Finally, I'd like to find a way to hide the little circular faces/icons under usernames.

In the top right hand corner of your post, you should see three white dots in the blue bar...this is where 'Edit' is.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭noplacehere

It took a while but I finally figured out how to "bookmark" a thread on the desktop but its not automatically doing it when you post. I'm assuming this is meant to be the replacement for "follow thread". Also not having it at the bottom of the page too is very annoying.

Really missing the breadcrumb at the bottom of the page on desktop too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Is there some way to mark everything as read?

I see the mark everything read under notifications nut I assume this is just notifications

Can we get the static option to select "Full Site" from the touch site?

Never liked any touch site and was good to be able to permanently set a switch

Clicking Categories at the top of any page (desktop) results in an error.

Something has gone wrong.

We've run into a problem and are unable to handle this request right now.

Please check back in a little while.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

poll results seem to be reversed,

see https://boards.ie/discussion/2055642930/gordon

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

I cannot find my followed threads

Going to last page isn't clear on a link

When you click on embedded link you leave the boards site, what I found then when having to relaunch boards was a blank page and having to wait and re enter

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Think that is the groups that the poster is a member of, so you are a member of the "registered users" group hence the plural.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Lots of little small things that I'm sure will be fixed but 2 big ones for me:

You don't automatically follow a thread when you post in it

In mobile there is icons to let you know there is new comments on a thread you've followed/bookmarked but not on desktop, in previous version thread names would be bold if you had unread comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Sorry for interruption, just testing "auto-bookmark" functionality after first post to thread

no, not working

• Registered Users Posts: 16,069 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I have searched but cannot find my posts ?

• Advertisement

The 'latest post' time in the list of recent threads is an hour earlier than the actual time of the post, which is given correctly in the thread itself.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement