Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Weather BOFH

Both Forgefield and my station a little further south would be a lot less exposed than Oak Park. My station is in a half acre site surrounded on all sides by 2m+ hedges, not ideal and a complete sun trap. Forgefield would be similar in that it's surrounded on all sides by trees and hedges. Forgefield is at 27.3, I'm at 28.1 and Oak Park is only 25.7.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Cumulus O'Clock beginning across a strip of the country west of the Wicklow mountains.

Could take some heating away from the likes of Oak Park and Shannon if it continues. Here in South Kildare the sun has been obscured for majority of the last 30 minutes. Fair weather cloud is so pesky and slow moving that 90% of the sky could be clear yet the sun is blocked.

Sea breeze still not doing much - Howth is still over 24c. Could be a win for the Dubs temp wise as PP/Casement will no doubt hit 27 shortly you'd imagine!

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Banarol

I would say a peak of 29 at most. 30 is the magic mark in Ireland and is rare enough. We shall see

Oh thanks for the info on my local sites! Very good. Sun trap is a solid reason for higher readings. At the same time, official stations like Phoenix Park could be considered a sun trap too - close to a bulky building, high trees around much of the site + nearby tarmac within the regulation distance I believe which would give off heat during the day. So not everything can be perfect. A lot of the WOW stations are likely similar, plenty of 28/29s already. Guess it's a snapshot of what the temperature is in peoples sheltered backyards rather than big open spaces at airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

To hell with this heat ,give me ice days anyday......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I hate this kind of weather , get nothing out of it either , could not get a tan either if my life depended on it and if I went shirtless from June 1st until august 31st , too damn white I am

• Registered Users Posts: 15,335 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Times like this I'm glad I live about a mile from the coast, its 25C even with a light sea breeze, which is the limit of how hot i like it, any more and I find it too much. People with freckles and pale skin are not made for Mediterranean summer conditions like this. I went out for my weekly long run this morning and found it really tough going near the end, that's despite heading out at 7AM

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

We may have to wait a while for some ice days!

Back on topic to this summer. Temperatures of 25-26C appear to be holding well across the country. It's more like a typical day in Spain where the temperatures get up fast in the morning and generally stay around the same values all day long rather than a gradual rise throughout the day. I still think 28 or 29C is possible in some places but I don't think we will hit 30C.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Phoenix park, mount Dillon and Athenry lead the way at 1pm with temp of 27 degrees

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Malin Head at 19c is the only station currently with a reading below 20c. Lots of 25s and 26s across all parts of the country too. I'd say the 4pm readings will have the peak temps of the day.

• Advertisement

The Rathdowney co laois fire station Davis station is ON FIRE at 29.2c 🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Shannon and Dublin airports both at 27°c at 2pm.

28 in Athenry at 2pm, Phoenix park at 27 and a good few other places now up at 27

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,741 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

28C now at Dunshaughlin with a real feel of 30C. This is probably the hottest day we've had since 2013. In 2018 it did get to 29C briefly one day but by the evening much cooler air moved in from the west and temperatures were back to 20C around 6pm. It's likely to hold up to at least 25C till about 8pm this evening and considering it's been 26C since before I got out of bed this is a very hot day indeed.

Four midlands locations now showing 28, could one hit 30. I think Phoenix park might have briefly hit 28 but at 27 now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

15:00 reports

28C at Athenry, Gurteen, Mt. Dillon, Oak Park

27C at 9 other stations!

Very rare to get such widespead heat.

Few 28s at 3pm, Athenry, Gurteen, Mt Dillon & Oakpark. Not sure if a full 28c was reached anywhere, Athenry and Oakpark reading 27.6c at the point I checked.

Villians station down in Tullow, which I believe is a decent enough setup compared to many of the WOWs, hit 30.2c recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭DumbBrunette

Hottest day ever up North. Edit: old NI record of 30.8 comfortably beaten. That really came out of nowhere!!!

https://twitter.com/metoffice/status/1416414417022066692?s=19

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ireland looking well from Space today.

25.5C here near Tralee 😅

NASA EOSDIS

Temperatures holding at 28C here in Meath, doubt we will get to 29C but we must have gotten very close to it. Athenry reporting 29C.

• Advertisement

Athenry at 29! Casement in Dublin 28. Dumsany and mount Dillon also 28

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

If it's reached over 31C in parts of Northern Ireland then some places here must be around 30C, but unfortunately we do not have nearly enough official met eireann weather stations which probably goes some way to explain why we fail to see the all time records getting beaten here.

I agree Gonzo, there should be far more stations here particularly in places like Kilkenny. I am sure 30 has been hit in a few locations today around the midlands / Shannon river area

Still 29 at Athenry and mount Dillon has just hit 29 too. Back up to 28 at Phoenix park. It actually feels warmer here in D5 now than even a few hours ago

Durrow the highest non-rounded official I've seen so far in the ROI (I'm pretty sure Durrow is ME standard and is considered official by them if not one of the listed 25 stations) - 29.1c.

Phoenix will probably just miss out on an official 28.0c. 27.8c currently...not much of the day left to get the 0.2c. Needs one last push!

I think 29C is about the highest we will see today at the official met eireann stations. I'm fairly certain northern parts of Meath, western areas of Louth and maybe parts of Cavan may have reached 30C in local spots as well as areas around the Shannon river.

Today is the peak of the heat for eastern and northern areas. From tomorrow the onshore sea breezes will shave a few degrees off the temperatures across much of Northern Ireland and Leinster. The bulk of the warmth over the next 4 to 5 days will be around the mid-west, south-west and Shannon/Limerick areas. It will be warm everywhere but more like 21 to 25C in Leinster tomorrow and on Monday. Tuesday to Thursday may warm up again above 25C in Leinster before the breakdown occurs late Thursday or Friday. Wednesday in particular could see 30C possible again in one or two areas.

There is also a chance of thunderstorms over the coming week with cape values rising from tomorrow throughout Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Met just tweeted 29.3C at Athenry. Still not quite the 29.8C at Ardfert on 27 June 2018 but remarkable and the Northern Ireland values, well they're something else! Who would have thought the first 30C of the year in the UK would occur in Northern Ireland?

And yes Durrow is an official climate station (of course is Danno's station).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Unreal day here in Meath, temperature in the garden earlier hit 29.1c when i was cutting the grass, long may it last, we'll be crying in the winter, when we get the payback for this, lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Advertisement