Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare GAA Discussion - 2024 All Ireland Hurling Champions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

Conlon needs to keep it simple, trying too much at times.

Fitzpatrick cause of the goal for me, why flick the ball away from yourself blind when have no idea what's there. Only watching on TV so maybe he is doing unseen stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Shanee.

He kicked it away with his heel was bizzare

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Terrible passage of play there, Malone drops a ball short and McInerney is brushed aside, only 3 points in it now

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Our half forwards have gone missing

Great score by McCarthy

• Advertisement

A win is a win. Too many cheap scores by poor decisions, hoping it was the heat that caused the errors.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

once again we did our best to lose it and gave Wexford every chance to get into the game. So many mistakes and gave them so many cheap scores.

poor game management, poor distribution, bad decision making and terrible use of the ball.

MOD

Edited and will card later.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

Hot, hot day, and mistakes made on both sides. Wexford will regret Davy's tactical messing and lack of trust in his players ability. From a clare point of view. Subs came on just in time to make a difference. Great to be in the next round but short turn around.

Post edited by ShamoBuc on

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

As has been said, win is a win. Definitely really excellent at some stages but lacked overall. For Patches very poor.

This will give Clare a good boost to have got this win and especially we looked really good from a scoring perspective. I think every starting forward scored.

One thing, Kelly not really in it again. Look it's a negative and positive. he still chips in but often teams are directing everything towards him which leaves the rest of the forwards open.

I'll hop for Cork but I think the next game could be good, Clare won't have the space to get complacent if they go too far ahead.

Great win today but made a lot harder work of it than we should have, the Wexford second goal summed it up for me, all the hard work had been done but Quilligan made a rash decision which gave Wexford another opportunity.

Some of our decision making was very poor, Conlon had his worst performance in a long time, some of our wides were brutal. I thought our full back line was solid, Cleary was lucky not to get a black card but led from the front, I still don't think he's a full back though. Half back line was good on our puck outs but as I said above Conlon let them down. Midfield didn't stop running, when a midfielder scores a goal you can't fault them for most of the rest of the game. The forwards I thought played extremely well as a unit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭letowski

I’m delighted with that. Great to be back in Thurles again.

I taught Malone was immense. Won a site of ball and carried it out to set up numerous scores, when the game was in the melting pot. What a player and servant to Clare.

Taylor and Hayes were excellent too. Hayes is gem of a lad, I love how he plays the game.

Cant wait for next weekend again. Give us Galway!

would you really prefer galway over Cork? I realise Galway are at a low but I view them as much stronger than Cork

Yeah Galway possibly are better than Cork, but we’re very poor the last day. Cork were good versus Limerick. But Galway I think it would be a great derby to get up for. There is just something about Cork, they always seems to beat us in the big games since ‘13.

Either way, I’m already looking forward to next week! Great to be back on the road again.

Clare have had 3 games which will be an advantage over galway and Cork who have had only 1 game. Looks like no injuries which is important.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Figerty

Ya, it's a funny thing in the back door, Clare are now coming of a win, but Cork and Galway are coming off a loss. Confidence or redemption? Which is more important?

Clare coming in after 3 games, 2 wins & a 1 loss and will be playing 3 games in 3 weekends in a row, they shouldn't have any fear of either Cork or Galway. I'm guessing that either game will be on in Thurles by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I think Croke Park is vacant next Saturday so wouldn't be surprised to see a double header with 18k capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

great win , wexford were good this year and we fairly controlled the game , i would prefer galway in the next round , i dont think they are going well as they could be this year , its some detour we have to take considering tipperarys position tomorrow

lohan doing an excellent job , slow on the sideline but lads the options are not what they used to be , delighted for cooney with the late goal a super hurler and some impact man to have , progress is being made at a rapid rate under lohan with little help from the board this is the best we can ask for at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

i would , they are very flat this year and even over relient on a 35 year old canning which they were not in the last few years , somthing dosnt look right with the setup at the moment , cork have the sign over us regardless how flat they were against a below par limerick the last night out

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭DiscoStew

35 year old Canning? He turns 33 in October!

• Advertisement

Yeah Conlon was very untidy yesterday. He needs to speed up his thought-process. On the other hand, Paul Flanagan is a brilliant tidy corner back in possession. I’m really impressed by his performances in the championship.

I think Lohan has done a brilliant job in maximising the talent he has on this team. And the players are playing for him and work their socks off. That’s exactly the type of dynamic we want. They’re going well this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Good display, when you go into a big lead like that it’s very hard to keep going at the same clip throughout. Limerick are one of the few teams who can do it.

But Clare never let Wexford get ahead, definitely a fair result.

There are loads of positives, a comfortable win without Conlon and Kelly doing very much. Aidan McCarthy is having a super year, full back line were solid. Malone did heaps of work again, Shanagher dangerous but didn’t get enough service, Diarmuid Ryan very good.

id fancy Clare to beat Cork and to at least give Galway a serious test. I’d expect Davy Mc to start the next day, even though it took him a good while to settle yesterday after coming in.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Shortstop12

Delighted with that win yesterday, alot of tough battles won in the searing heat(brought back memories of '95), Hayes was immense, he's going to have a big future in Clare hurling..

Davy Mc has to start the next day!!

I don't think the lads will be worried about who we get, they're still making a few silly mistakes but they're definitely showing a hunger..

Shanagher played well yesterday, I think the biggest issue is the ball into him, if you watched the Limerick/Tipp match today you'd see an incredible difference how Limerick used their full forward line, they found the pocket of space in front of the man with nearly every ball. I understand Shanagher is there to break alot of ball but if we could feed him with some of the balls like in today's match, once it's in his hand, he's either winning a free/penalty or setting up a score/scoring himself..

Rodger's is surely very close to a starting spot..

Fitzy is still trying to stay relevant, wonder what his next violin story will be!!!

I think we should keep Rodgers on the bench as a refresher role, he'll still be important, but starting isn't a bad idea either

I think we should go with this as a team template

Quiligan

Hayes-Cleary-Flanagan

Ryan-Conlon-Mcinerney

Galvin Malone

McCarthy-Reidy-Shanagher

Taylor-Kelly-Galvin

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭supernova5

Any one know what's the real story on SOD ?

Clare v Cork next Saturday.

Can we finally get a meaningful win against them in 8 years.,

Id say it will be on in Limerick too

We beat them in group stages where if lim had shown up v tipp they would have been out (and clare in). But i get your point, we defo owe them a beating or too.

• Advertisement

He got a very bad concussion in training, high speed drill where he tripped and hit his head off the ground without being able to break his fall. He's currently doing return to play on his own, the word a week ago was if he's back for the club championship it'll be a bonus but the word yesterday was that he'd be returning to Clare training this week. He has missed a lot of training at this stage, those 3 matches the lads have played are worth months of training as well.

Advertisement