Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xcom 2

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's one of those games that you'll play through 4 or 5 times and streamline your build order and know what skills you want on your team ahead of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Lastly, I read the AWC will assign random abilities to your soldiers when they level up but I've only ever had the class choice. I checked again and none of them have the extra abilities. Am I missing how to activate that? I saw there is a retrain class option but I haven't tried that yet.

No it just happens at random, think from memory you'll get the normal little popup that informs you they've levelled up and it'll say on that somewhere they "gained ability X through the advanced warfare centre"

Just for clarity it's a bonus ability that you may or may not unlock and you don't get to pick the bonus ability, you just pick the ability that's next for that character as normal if that makes sense

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Completed the avatar autopsy and infiltrating their network is my next mission which I'm told it's a point of no return so i decided to do some alien bases and guerrilla ops. Last 2 missions wrecked me, i was going to clear up some more stuff but think I'll just plough on with the story before i lose any more soldiers. I did make a psi ops build and they are savage, wish i started working on those sooner.

One thing I've had ZERO issue with is timed missions and tbh, the only timer I've noticed is the avatar project which once i figured out, could kepp to 4 notches with very little effort. When people talk about timed missions here, do they mean the ones with counters? I don't mind them, makes you push forward and be a bit bold. Now saying that, I'm still playing on rookie so maybe it doesn't affect me as much as others. If that's the case, I'd highly recommend people playing this on rookie of they didn't Luke the timed aspect.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Yea, those are the ones people mean - they become a much more difficult prospect as you ramp up the difficulty - it's usually a case of not being able to do enough damage per turn to carve your way through the pods which means you have to risk making someone run ahead to get to an objective and then getting stranded and surrounded :D Reapers are great for counteracting this as they're a lot harder to spot. There's a really good mod I use that prevents the timers from starting until you've been spotted, so you can get a few turns of scouting and moving and I feel like that gives a more balanced and still challenging way of doing it.

• Advertisement

Just cleared it, maaaan that last mission was ****ing tense! Started with 7, down to 2 surrounded by about 7 enemies and my rangers sword strike finished off the last Avatar, cutting it fair close!

Absolutely ABSOLUTELY loved it but it sounds like playing on rookie actually added to my enjoyment. I'm finally gonna get back to my backlog but i definitely look forward to getting PS Now down the line and playing Enemy Unknown. Fingers crossed for a marvel game by the devs in the PlayStation showcase on Thursday.

Thanks for all the tips and advice lads, damn that was fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Started playing this just before the Big Boards Shutdown of 2021. Ended up having to start a new game about two nights ago because I didn't understand half the shite the game was throwing at me in my first playthrough. Particularly as it seemed everytime I opened the map and tried to progress something that took 3 days I'd get about 10 popups during it for other missions, advent stuff, research stuff... not knowing what or how I was meant to progress things. Also didn't help I bought the version with all dlc and ended up in one or two missions I should definitely not have been in.

Final straw though was a UFO missions which just kept sucking the life out of me. Had figured out enough by that stage that I said I'd start a new game.

The game is all sorts of bullshit at times and can be incredibly infuriating. And some of the enemy powers and health levels are ridiculous so early in the game. Thinking of dropping the difficulty just to plow a bit through the game.

I think play through without the extensions first. Don't want to spoilt anything but there's an enemy type that pops up every few missions that's quite difficult, might be more fun if you play through it in the "vanilla" mode first and get used to it

I played with extensions the first time and got absolutely wrecked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

There is so much in the game to discover on your own but it moves at such a pace that it is very hard to keep up. The DLC missions are really hard but well worth it as the rewards really stand to you in later missions. If you can do "Shen’s Last Gift" first it will be a huge help.

But I agree, play vanilla first. Then replay with the DLC as it adds so much it is like a new game, then play it for a third time with the War of the Chosen 😀

Whatever you don't skip those annoying pop-up missions. I know what it is like when you just want to expand and research and they keep popping, but they are the key to holding back the enemy dark events and making the game even harder. You can also get yourself loads of free scientists and engineers that will speed up the research and building too.

Each mission will tell you the reward but also what you are likely to face. Pay attention to the type of enemy and bring the right weapons and ammo once researched. If it is Mech heavy bring your Blue Rounds, lots of fleshy enemies use the incendiary or poison rounds, sniper keeps missing? give them the tracer rounds to improve accuracy.

I'd definitely recommend dropping to Rookie until you at least get a feel for it, still gonna be tough. I had to restart after a few hours and definitely had a better sense of what i had to do 2nd time round. Research squad armour and weapons when you can, boosts everyone's killing and surviving permanently, definitely makes the levels easier to get through.

I only got the UFO mission once. Was tough but a great mission all the same.

• Advertisement

Shens Last Gift was the dlc mission I tried (without knowing it was a dlc mission). Got to the final rooftop stage but since I didn't know how many stages etc there were, I was low on health, ammo and patience and there was no way I was going to make it off the roof (the robot alone was destroying me, never mind the adds that kept popping up on each turn too), so ended up rolling back saves to before the mission.

Think I'm setting myself up well enough on this playthrough, but after 3 of my squad missed overwatch shots in one go on a low-health Sectoid, I ragequit for the night.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I had to reset my first attempt at xcom 2 as I attempted a dlc mission to early. Got absolutely swamped in it by snake guys

Seeing a common theme, think everyones done that!

Think I'm done. Getting creamed in random missions by Viper King. From reading online, he's part of a DLC and should only appear after doing and Advent mission. I haven't done any advent missions yet and was sure I disabled all dlc before starting this playthrough.

Unfortunately, just kinda fed up of it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I always tell people to go 100% vanilla on first okay through. With the dlc and add ons it adds alot of complexity which is overwhelming on a first play through .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 39 BurntAsh

LWOTC with the recommended add ons is a significant upgrade on Xcom 2 WOTC. Similar in many ways to LW (infiltration, soldier types, extra enemy types and additional abilities) and is integrated well. Something to try if you're finding WOTC stale after a 20th play-through...

I thought I did, when starting this playthrough. But from reading online, it seems by disabling the mission, the alien rulers appear randomly in missions. Whereas if you don't disable the dlc, there's a specific mission you have to do that triggers them appearing, so you can just avoid that mission and they won't show up.

I'm not starting another playthrough anyway. That's for damn sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

He is a giant pain. You need to fire everything at him. And bring as many of the guys with swords, especially if they have the perk unlocked that slashes anything that steps near them.

Stock up on stun ammo. You have to drive him off the map as quickly as possible.

Wait till you meet the Archon king

You do get class gear for killing them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Getting a hankering to try this again reading this thread but I promised myself not to play anymore long games until I'm done with Yakuza Like a Dragon and then Tactics Ogre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Was going to go for another playthrough of Xcom1, but its not available for download on the PS Store (unless you're a PS Now subscriber).

I've played through Xcom2 a good few times and was considering it again, but have redownloaded Mutant Zero: Road to Eden instead. I bought it to scratch the TBS itch following my last Xcom playthrough and abandoned it. Probably worth another go.

I see there is an Xcom: Chimera Squad that was released on Windows. Hope that gets a PS release, wouls rather not game on PC. I see it was PEGI rated in March.

That's weird. I don't have PS Now but I could download it.

Did you buy any of the expansions? Sometimes it gets confused when that happens

I managed to get the trophy earlier for beating the final mission with only conventional gear. Gonna give it a go on Legend difficulty now, got wiped out on the second mission so it's gonna be tough!

Whoa, War of the Chosen currently on sale on PSN, down from 40 to 4 euro! Will have to give that a spin. Bit of a backlog building up but will be nice to give that a go over Christmas.

Started War of the Chosen last night after finishing the absolutely brilliant Dysmantle. I started on normal and got wiped out on just the 2nd mission. Between the timer, my squad being so squishy and also constantly missing, it's damn tough starting out. Not sure if i should just restart on rookie as i really enjoyed that last time. Or get Mutant Year Zero which is currently 14 euro on psn sale. Just dodgy buying anything at the moment as it might be part of the new ps plus.

Advertisement