Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Conor McGregor thread (MMA Talk Only - Read 1st Post Before Posting)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,549 ✭✭✭✭walshb

• Registered Users Posts: 14,017 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Before I go further, which pictures specifically are you referring to on his twitter?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

Clicked post before I finished and I dunno how to edit on this new site.

The pictures where he is strapping up his ankle?

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,062 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

He has said many times that he has gone into fights with niggles or injuries that others would pull out from, it can be a bit of a gamble. They would have weighed up the probability and concluded the ankle would be ok and he would have enough to beat Dustin. I wouldnt give Dustin much credit for the ankle break even if it came as result of him checking a kick, it was a freak incident. Yes he is on record with the win and fair play to him i hope he gets the title next, they both got paid well, but he only won because of this incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Just reading Firas Zahabi's comments on McGregor. Can't disagree.

McGregor is so down,” Zahabi said. “He’s so angry and jealous of Poirier. He will say and do anything to try and insult Poirier, try to take away this moment off Poirier. Listen, Poirier has beaten you. He’s a better fighter than you. He will be remembered as a better fighter than you.

“Whatever beef you have there, you can’t take it and start threatening to kill each other and then start threatening each other’s children, team members and whatnot. That’s just animal behavior. Then to say what he said about Poirier’s wife – it’s disgusting.”

“I think McGregor suffers from narcissism – heavily, heavily narcissistic,” Zahabi said. “And unfortunately for him, he can’t see that he’s at fault. That’s why he needs a true friend or family member to step in and kind of sober him up a little bit because honestly, all he did was embarrass himself. You’ll never see a fighter behave like this.

“He’s the only guy that even if he loses, he can’t take it. He can’t look in the mirror and say, ‘You know what? That wasn’t my fight. It didn’t go my way. I lost. Here’s what I have to do to improve. This is how I better myself.’ No, no, no – in his mind, ‘It was a freak accident. There was no check. You were going to get a beating in the second round.’ It’s just nonsense. Pure nonsense. Not only has his skills as a fighter dipped, but also his character.”

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/07/firas-zahabi-grossed-out-narcissistic-conor-mcgregor-behavior-ufc-264-broken-leg/amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Advertisement

Seemed the damage was done by Dustin's elbow?

All fighters go into the cage with niggles, banged up, sore - its the fight game.

To say he only won because of the incident is a little disingenuous, after the previous fight and how that first round went the onus was on McGregor to do something different because what he had been doing v Poirier for 2 fights just wasn't working at this stage and he had shown no answers to that point.

It looks like, and its funny to say it, but it looks like the break actually saved Conor from taking more damage to his brain and potential problems in later life if anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭xtal191

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Dave0301

McGregor will continue to be a draw for the UFC for another couple of fights. The freak injury will allow them to sell a comeback/redemption fight against someone.

However, I think he is done in terms of being able to compete with the top guys in the LW division. Khabib and Dustin both looked in much better nick than McGregor come fight night. His partying to excess and flirting with boxing has really stalled his development as a MMA fighter.

I said it before, but if he was to move to the USA and join a top gym over there and make a fresh start I would like to see it. If not, this is certainly the beginning of the end for his UFC career imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

You can't honestly say he only won because he broke his leg. You don't know how the rest of the fight would have gone.

He wasn't physically in as good a shape as Dustin, that's why the fight was stopped early, and McGregor lost.

I can certainly say that the only reason Dustin won is because McGregor broke his ankle. That is what happened. It is 100% fact.

Now had he not broke his ankle, Dustin may well have gone on to win the fight, be it a knockout, ref stoppage or submission in rounds 2, 3, 4 or 5. Or it may have been a judges points win after 5 rounds. At the same time, maybe McGregor would have won by any of these.

I will also add, had he not broke his ankle, the fight would have gone into round 2, Dustin wasnt gonna through a knockout punch in those last few secs and probably neither Conor. Who knows what would have happened had he not broke his ankle.

• Advertisement

He was the GOAT in featherweight I give him that. He was literally handed the title in the lightweight championship against Alvarez.

He was actually great in UFC taking the mickey out of other fighters and annoying them to the last until the Nate Diaz rematch where he showed his true colors throwing the water bottles.

His true proper colours have come out now against Khabib and Porier. McGregor is a narcissist who can't stand losing.

All his other arrests with the bus, hotel accusations, man in pub just shows how scummy of a person he is.

Insulting Poriers wife is just scummy behaviour. I think at this stage he's lost everyone's respect.

He should just retire now, if he can't stand losing its time to go.

HE WAS NEVER ANY GOOD AT LIGHTWEIGHT!

I'd say a ground and pound in round 2 would of finishing McGregor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,077 ✭✭✭RoryMac

McGregor's career seems to be following a very similar path to Mike Tyson's in that when he had that aura of being invincible he tore through the divisions showcasing great skills and demolishing opponents. A lot of fighters looked beaten even before stepping in the ring. Both kept their aura following what looked to be shock defeats and excuses where made that they had gone off the rails outside of the ring/cage(Tyson/McGregor) or the step up in weight(McGregor) helped throw up the freak defeat.

The next loss for both seemed to be when the real falloff happened, McGregor put up a good fight against Khabib and coped better than most on the ground but also got put down by a shot and Khabib hasn't put many down. In reality while McGregor defended well on the ground in that fight and delayed the inevitable for while he didn't show anything to make him standout.

I think Poirier was very confident he could handle McGregor going into the 2nd fight and put him away fairly easily, going into the 3rd he was even more confident. He started slowly enough to figure what McGregor's plan would be and as soon as he upped the pressure he hurt McGregor and forced him into the clinch and guillotine. Sure it was a bad way for the fight to end and there's no way it was a 10-8 round but I don't see any way McGregor was going to win that fight if the leg break hadn't happened.

With the aura around him gone, fighters will be queuing up to take a shot at McGregor and I think we'll see a steep decline over the next few fights if he comes back.

Obviously Poirier only won the fight the way he did because he won the way he did. It's like saying it's warm today because it's warm today. It's a nonsense statement that adds nothing to the discussion so it's not too surprising to see where it's coming from.

McGregor is who he is and happens to be an excellent fighter. Forget about the fact that he can fight, the vast majority of us went to school with someone like him and as time goes by he gets more and more like the guy in school we all remember. Obviously we're not allowed to use completely truthful and accurate language on here to describe him but we all know what he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

I think you're mixing up sporting achievements with popularity achievements. We've had lots of World Champs. McGregor's record, for example is 28-6. Steve Collins, the boxer has 39-3 and has won both WBO middle-weight and WBO super-middle belts. Not to mention Rory McIlroy, Brian O'Driscoll, Katie Taylor, Ken Doherty, Robbie Keane etc who all achieved greatness on the world stage.

Conor came into a relatively new and growing sport. The level of professionalism is much higher now in MMA than it was 10 years ago and McGregor is not able to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Conor wasn't good enough to beat Dustin on the night. That's why he lost. No other reason. Now he's posting pictures of the leg he damaged in training to try and save face.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

If there were multiple stress fractures then why on Earth was be kicking Poirier so much with that same leg?

Even as an excuse, that is brutal management and Kavanagh has questions to answer as to whether he allowed this or if McGregor went rogue.

McGregor won't ever get back to the level he was at unless he cuts off every single hang-on he has. Between his friends and his coaches. They're clearly yes men and unless he hears what he needs to hear then nothing will change.

Kavanagh is a yes man. I've been saying it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭dubrov

It's been raised a few times and ignored.

McGregor's excuses make no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

Kavanagh should not be coaching any more fighters at a UFC level, clearly not cut out for it at all. Completely bottled Khabib and BOTH of these fights as he has no idea on how to improve McGregor as a fighter. Once McGregor beat Alvarez, SBG should have been given a chunk of money and he should have relocated to the US.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,043 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Some of the recent comments on this echo what I was coming here to ask. I don't follow MMA too closely but from what I've see Conor dominated the lower division as he was quite big even though he had to cut weight. His natural talent and size got him through the opponents.

When he stepped up into a more level playing field where his size advantage was nullified it seems that his talent was not enough. Would it therefore be fair to say that his coach and training is not where it should be or is his non-sporting escapades catching up with him. He seems to be focused and driven still - just wondering if he was winning in spite of Kavanagh instead of because of him?

Does Kavanagh have any other top rated guys in his gym?

McGregor will never beat Poirier at light weight.

Porier looks way more powerful.

145 favoured McGregor against Porier.

He should have retired after Cerone, it was the moment, he looked considerate etc.

Why should he retire?? He still has maybe 5 years fighting at the top level in front of him if he trains well and doesn’t go off the rails again. He makes about 10/15mil per fight, and has the goal to reclaim glory as motivation. Not to mention his other business’s will do better the more fights he is winning. There is still no other fighter who generates the buzz of last week main event, it would be a shame if he stopped giving us that. He has said many times he will never retire and fighting is his passion. (Obviously he will retire 1 day when Mother Nature catches up with him)

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

"If he trains well and doesn't go off the rails again."

And who is going to keep him in check? Nobody. He's a narcissist and surrounds himself with yes men, including his coaches. He was won one fight since 2016. It will get to a stage where people will see the act for what it is because unless he starts fighting nobodies he's going to do well to win a fight against another top guy again.

Someone said earlier that after Alvarez that SBG should have been given money and told thanks. Never going to happen. Kavanagh and co tell him what he wants to hear. Besides, he made a big song and dance about TJ Dillashaw doing the same thing and took the piss out of Faber about it. He talks about staying loyal to his team etc. He decides to up sticks and leave then he give ammunition to all of those guys. Uniting Dillashaw and Faber would be some achievement in itself if that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

McGregor is literally broken, and his aura is well and truly gone.

He doesn't know if he should even trash talk anymore. Wasnt he 'nice, respectful McGregor' for Cormier 2? Now he's a nastly little knacker again.

He lost his focus and his hunger, which is understandable to an extent. He has a life of unimaginable luxury now, and those Marvin Hagler silk sheets.

I think he's lost a lot of support, and interest is waining. It would really be a tremendous effort to come back from here at 33 and make something happen. I don't think he has it in him.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭DodoDojo

No, Kavanagh went from being a complete unknown coach to being a highly regarded and famous one purely because of McGregors fame.

The reality is Conor already joined his gym as a really good striker, and at that time, it was much more common for people to come from a grappling background than striking.

The only other really highly regarded fighter he coached was Gunnar Nelson, and he, like McGregor was just a phenom and a natural at grappling and already had a Karate background. He did most of his training in Iceland without John, and got his black belt from Renzo Gracie, instead of John.

The biggest problem with SBG is a lack of a high level striking coach.

No, Kavanagh went from being a complete unknown coach to being a highly regarded and famous one purely because of McGregors fame.

The reality is Conor already joined his gym as a really good striker, and at that time, it was much more common for people to come from a grappling background than striking.

The only other really highly regarded fighter he coached was Gunnar Nelson, and he, like McGregor was just a phenom and a natural at grappling and already had a Karate background. He did most of his training in Iceland without John, and got his black belt from Renzo Gracie, instead of John.

The biggest problem with SBG is a lack of a high level striking coach.

• Advertisement

That’s the thing though, the fact that a lot of people don't support him anymore actually doesn't matter. Now instead of tuning in to support him, they will tune in to cheer against him and hope he loses. There is still so many fights for him when he comes back that would be huge, such as Tony Ferguson, Justin Gaetche, Nate Diaz and RDA. He won't win the title again but he could definitely win some more fights and people will always tune in because he is always exciting to watch either way.

Advertisement