Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Convective/Thunderstorm Discussion : Summer/Autumn 2021

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some high rainfall totals being predicted.

B46yjOI.png

QUSHNJB.png

• Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

lastsnowradar_uk.gif

Should start registering some sparks soon. North midlands appears the prime location but east Leinster, some convergence along the coast here, and Ulster as well in with a shout particularly this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Cavan, Donegal, Monaghan, Leitrim, Louth
    Met Éireann Weather Warning

Risk of scattered thunderstorms leading to spot flooding.

Valid: 13:42 Sunday 04/07/2021 to 20:00 Sunday 04/07/2021

Issued: 13:43 Sunday 04/07/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 6,184 ✭✭✭emo72

Any chance of a few sparks in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Trebor176

emo72 wrote: »

It's not forecast, so I'm doubtful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,433 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

emo72 wrote: »

If there is to be a thunderstorm it would be most likely later this evening as wind goes more off shore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Major fire in Strabane purportedly caused by a lightning strike

https://www.belfastlive.co.uk/news/strabane-fire-live-updates-building-20968358

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Fair amount of thunderstorm activity today. A large CG strike recorded at 04.04pm in Strabane as described below on meteologix.com , a bit away from where the building was thought to have been struck , it was the closest CG recorded, I think they can be out a bit o the map, I believe I remember Slowblowin say a strike near him was out a bit as recorded on the map but the time was spot on to the second. Could have been another strike of course that was not recorded.

062K8W5.png

https://meteologix.com/ie/lightning/donegal/20210704-1505z.html

Lightning: Cloud to ground, Power: 65kA (Strong slammer), Date: 07/04/2021, Time: 04:04:07pm

NbS68bN.png

Railway street where o Doherty's was thought to have been struck.

n8YBwSv.png

https://twitter.com/Met4CastUK/status/1411740967342850055?s=20

Currently investigating a possible tornado or waterspout in Donegal/Derry.

• Advertisement

Instability tomorrow more so in the afternoon from troughs crossing the country and looks on the negatively tilted side, relatively high Theta E readings I think even though coming from the NW /W , looks to be sourced from N Europe . Temps getting up to the high teens, Dp's up around 14C. Lapse rates might be ok for thunderstorm development although might be quite isolated. Again a nice convergence along the East coasts, could we see some thunderstorms along the E in the late afternoon early evening?

Best chance midlands, SE, E and perhaps in the NE. Any thoughts ? not totally sure of this, WRF / ECM suggests some big convective showers in the SE and parts of Leinster tomorrow afternoon/ early evening. Will see what happens.

Lq0Mafk.png

jV3tWux.png

click on image

animiqa6_mini.png

pRgCNAg.png

1Qd1jKB.png

YxGHXWZ.png

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Distant rumble in Dublin 16.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Some thunder here now in KE

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

loud bang near Newcastle after a very heavy shower

seems to be heading towards Dublin city

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Was in the bog Saturday afternoon. Heard a few decent rumbles. Thought it was far enough away. Next thing a massive fork lightening strike in the next field over.
    We didn't wait to have the tae and sambos I tell ya!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

BullBauld wrote: »
    Was in the bog Saturday afternoon. Heard a few decent rumbles. Thought it was far enough away. Next thing a massive fork lightening strike in the next field over.
    We didn't wait to have the tae and sambos I tell ya!

A close lightning strike on the bog will always help expedite matters :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Very interested to hear of any reports with this cell that went over Dundalk

BB0-FF61-F-F9-A9-4-CD1-940-F-A11507-E4-E0-B4.jpg

pad199207 wrote: »
    Very interested to hear of any reports with this cell that went over Dundalk

BB0-FF61-F-F9-A9-4-CD1-940-F-A11507-E4-E0-B4.jpg

Nice looking hook on that feature.

Not too much in the way of lightning activity in the end, big rain though by all accounts.

Experienced static like in the tweet below years ago in Dingle of all places around 89 or 90, myself and a friend were having a right laugh standing outside watching our youthful long hair standing on end as a thunderstorm broke out. It was one of the most intense storms I was ever under, one of two times that I have experienced the smell of possible ozone from the lightning . That day a lot of cattle got killed in the fields near the house where we were staying in the countryside just outside of the town. I remember the lightning crackling and incredible gunshot like thunder.

https://twitter.com/bbcweather/status/1412498610181246977?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭typhoony

once this settled period is over and the High pressure has drifted away next week I would'nt be surprised to see a period of disturbed thundery weather

Could well have some activity towards next weekend with the ECM and GFS showing a gradual breakdown, could still be in the high teens low 20's with high Dp's and good heat in the ground by then. Bit away yet, will see if the models stick to this pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

Some fairly high CAPE values starting to show up mid week. Lifted index of -6 and CAPE over 1000. Of course, we need to be able to tap into this - otherwise it will just go to waste. And the models can and will change of course between now and then.

I'd love a good late evening / overnight thunderstorm during this spell of hot weather. Would just top it off very nicely!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,915 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Windy was looking soo promising for Friday earlier, most of the south showing thunderstorms. Now nothing. :(

Got a mention on the weather forecast tonight after the news that Thunderstorms possible mainly for Munster on Fri. A difficult call , the expected Low now further S, the Hp initially blocking it but it looks to send in bands of rain ( look a bit weak atm ) on the latest run according to the ECM mainly for the Southern half of the country. Charts look warmer now for the weekend also, up to the mid 20's in places. Some very high Dp's currently showing up, around 19C in the S on Fri. Will have to see the track of the Low and what kind of weather it sends in our way and will see how the Hp stands up to the Low.

Met Eireann

Friday: Warm sunshine for many on Friday but with some scattered showers or thunderstorms possible, especially across Munster where more general rain may push in during the day. Maximum temperatures of 22 to 27 degrees in moderate southeast winds.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Banarol

Yeah I had a look at it earlier and I fear the worst. The low appears to be tracking a bit too far south. It’s a pity because all the other parameters are in place and a spell like this deserves a spectacular ending and not to go out with a whimper. As you say there’s plenty of time for things to change and with a bit of luck they will. F1 is showing a reload and another opportunity but that’s a question mark and there could be a gradual boring cooling instead

• Registered Users Posts: 9,915 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Case of watch this space. Wed 29th looks interesting but won't be holding my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭glightning

I must say that although I love my storms, I'd rather the low stay away and for us to continue to enjoy hot sunny conditions. In fact, I'd trade having no storms for a longer warm spell rather than a shortening of the spell with a storm.

The ideal situation would be some late afternoon / evening pulse storms that clear away to another hot day. Or, any encroaching low is delayed until next week at least!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Hoping for some real action this time lets just wait and see

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭esposito

Have to agree. I don't want that low anywhere near us. South England & Wales can take it😆

I would love a "home grown" storm and as you said then clearing to very warm/hot conditions conditions once again.

Holidays coming up in August and I just know it will be back to cool/unsettled westerlies. Prove me wrong August!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

I sincerely believe there will be a large supercell right over my house.

Curse this relatively hot weather, bring on the cooler temps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Nice cell brewing up in Mayo on the radar

Advertisement