Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Working From Home Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

limnam wrote:
    I'm sure people don't state the only reason they want to work in google is free beer and pizza, but it is part of their culture and a companies culture can be a an important component to a potential employee.
    Apply for a job in Google, and tell them you want to work there for the free beer and pizza. Let us know how you get on with that.

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

irish goverment advice is current work from home where possible. anyone know when they plan to change this advice. im hearing that offices are planning on people back 4 weeks after this day. something about giving reassonble notice

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Afaik, office can demand you back anytime, irrespective of Gov advice.

Wouldn't want to get in an argument with my employer if they told me to come back, and I said "no, the Gov say I should WFH".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Sure,

But I would be fairly worried about a company who can accommodate WFH ignoring government advice and putting people at risk for the sake of having people in the office if they can carry out their role from home.

So while I wouldn't get in argument over it. I wouldn't see myself hanging around much longer

• Registered Users Posts: 32,951 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You're in a fortunate position then, not everyone has the ability to up and leave a job.

• Advertisement

Fortune has nothing to do with it. I'm no good dead to my family and no company is going to take care of them should that happen.

Almost everyone will have choices. Some more than others. But I wouldn't choose to continue to work for a company that showed blatant contempt for my or others health especially ignoring government health advice to do it.

I would have thought this a fairly basic expectation of any employee on their employer

I'm not really enjoying the working from home too much as I miss getting out of the house.

I can see why some people are mad to get back and can see other peoples sides that never want to return to the office again.

Our employer does not want us back to the office until told it is safe to do so by the government.

Ours are offering three days in office and two from home after Covid which I think suits me down the ground. I'm lucky I have a 10 min drive to work with parking but others are commuting an hour to work who never want to come back.

I think for people with families its great but if your young and single not so much as your not going to meet up with friends every day.

The three in office and two from home suits me down to the ground after Covid. Delighted with that. I wouldn't stick the five days working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,990 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

In the IT industry, or in IT related sectors of industry I can see two distinct sub sectors emerging.

One will have companies with employees who exclusively or almost exclusively work remotely, the other will have companies with employees who are happy to work full time or part time in the office.

The hybrid idea itself is just a fudge.

If you're a worker that is happy working from home, and are proven to be productive working from home then coming into an office any number of days a week just to be in the office is just window dressing.

Why would you want to even do it ?

If you want to be in the office and are productive in the office why do you have to work from home certain days ?

This idea about more collaboration while in the office just doesn't work either if the right people are not in the office together at the right time.

Hybrid is just a comfort blanket, it gives those who prefer home the comfort that they don't have to come in all the time, and it gives comfort to those who can't hack working from home every day.

So what will happen is that the people who don't want the window dressing of having to come in a arbitrary couple of days a week will look to move to companies that allow almost exclusive remote work, with the only need to be on site at some irregular time based on business needs.

And these companies will emerge as there is a shortage of experienced IT talent, and the talent that is there is mostly older and happier working from home.

On the flip side you will have people who want back in the office moving to companies that allow them in every day no questions asked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭JTMan

Leo previously said that the WFH where possible advise would be lifted in September. I have not heard this line been mentioned in a few weeks which makes me wonder if it will still occur in September. Delta might be throwing a spanner in the works. WFH where possible is a restriction that has far less vocal opposition than other restrictions and hence easier for the government to maintain.

The government have said that the Civil Service will be phased back to to office up to March 2022. This might also be a clue that WFH where possible restrictions might have to continue in some form through the Winter. Perhaps the work from home where possible restriction will be replaced with a gradual and slow return to office advise i.e. low capacity indoors in offices until after Winter.

As someone who works in an IT support role, the hybrid model works perfectly well for me.

Some of the work requires me to be onsite, but most, if not all the "office" work can be done from home.

In recent months, I have found that the few face to face meetings have sometimes been a simple waste of fuel to go to as the discussions could just have easily been done remotely, other times it was essential to have "boots on the ground".

So yes, there are going to be distinct subsectors, three at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Thanks JTMan, sensible answer to my question. appreciate it.

Fergal Bowers in a RTE article ( https://www.rte.ie/news/analysis-and-comment/2021/0716/1235622-covid-challenges-delta/ ) raises the question about as to when office will be allowed reopen. He says there is now a "question of when people might be returning more fully to the workplace" and "the horizon appears to move further into the distance".

He also says that "social distancing as a minimum" is likely to continue into the Winter along with "continued mask-wearing".

Even if the 'work from home where possible' restriction is lifted in September which is a very big if ... social distancing (gaps between desks etc) and mask-wearing (painful to wear all day in the office) might be enough to keep a lot of people at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,388 ✭✭✭VG31

Why would we still need social distancing and mask wearing if everyone is vaccinated?

Why do many people, including Fergal Bowers, think that mask wearing and social distancing will continue through Winter? I would think the reasons are ... (1) Covid-19 is not going to disappear when we get 80% of the adult population vaccinated. It will still continue to spread at a lower rate. Some US experts think Winter 2021 wave could do '20% of the damage' of last Winter, smaller but not insignificant. (2) The risk of a tipple whammy this Winter of flu, RSV & bugs and Covid at a lower rate. There is an 'immune deficit' and already evidence from other countries that these other diseases are spreading at an alarming rate which, as Sage said, could overwhelm hospital systems in the Winter.

As Leo said, it is likely to be after Winter before we can put this virus behind us. Many experts think Winter will need some restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yeah, I remember a good discussion on here earlier in the year about how difficult it would be to reopen offices as you head into Winter, and Delta has made it even harder. Even if Covid is relatively under control, cases will rise in Winter & hospitals are going to be under pressure because of all the other illnesses at that time of year anyway. I expect there may be a "soft" requirement to WFH ("it's not mandatory but please WFH") as we can't afford not to be competitive as a country and impose restrictions on businesses which don't apply in other countries.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but WFH has never been mandatory

• Registered Users Posts: 25,657 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's never been legally mandated by the government. But it has been requested.

And some companies have required it of their staff, along with imposing other rules like "No public transport" and "No sharing cars, unless with someone who lives in the same house".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

They've been phasing us back throughout the year, 2 in 3 at home or something, but I work nights so have been 100% WFH since March last year. I love it. Aside from the obvious benefits, I feel I'm more motivated to work while at home. I don't feel big brother is watching my screen, and I work by myself about 30% of the time so makes no sense to bringing me back in at all. I will be fighting them on it, and I'm not looking forward to it. But I also genuinely believe I now have enochlophobia, something I may have always had a little bit of, but since Covid it's worse, so that will probably get a mention, because I'm sure it will affect my ability to work. So if I can do (and have been doing) my job with no negative feedback in over 16 months, why can't it continue?

I haven't been a social butterfly for years now, but I was still getting a chest infection about once a month, along with sniffles and coughs for a lot of the month too. I haven't even had so much as a runny nose since March 2020. While I've no doubt* that the company (a shared call centre type environment with more employees than desks) are doing everything they can** to ensure the place is safe, it's not them that I don't trust, it's the other humans in there, coming in with their colds and coughs, spreading it everywhere and onto everything, rubbing their filthy grubby hands on their faces and then onto every surface they touch... If they somehow manage to get me back in, the first time I get sick will be the last time I'll set foot in there. I'm going to be even less of a social butterfly now, so if I get sick I will be solely blaming it on the work environment.

* Some doubt

** Probably not

Yeah, international reputation matters with this, so maybe, as you indicated, 'work from home where possible' will get replaced with some sort of soft middle ground strongly encouraging WFH or capacity restrictions or 'slow return' advise but soft middle ground runs the risk of a u-turn in the depths of Winter when the 'work from home where possible' might have to get re-enacted. Anyway, difficult to see WFH guidance getting fully lifted for Winter. With just 6 weeks until offices are due to return guidance is urgently needed. The government are going to have to make a decision soon.

Even if workplaces are allowed reopen, the mess in the UK with business places constantly having to close because one person tests positive, gives an indication of the challenges ahead, and will prove especially a big challenge to open-plan work-spaces with shared air. That's on top of the aforementioned social distancing (which will mean a cap of 50% in open plan offices with every second desk closed and meeting curtailment) and painful mask-wearing at desks (and some companies have being light on enforcing this because there were so few people in the office but if larger groups return enforcement will have to be greater).

I suspect that many companies will wait until after Winter before reopening indoor offices.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,324 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

How many choices will you have when you're 55?

• Advertisement

It absolutely has been mandatory for most state employees since the start of Covid, with no provision for those who don't have space or other facilities at home.

As I said. Some more than others. But if I was 55 I would be much more inclined to leave a company who wanted to put me at risk for something I can safely do at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Once we finish the vaccination programme Covid should be reduced to "just another respiratory illness". It'll be very difficult for the government to justify continuing with social distancing, mandatory masks etc. if it is hospitalising people at no greater rate than flu for example. The hospitals then have a problem because they're already at 100% over Winter because of Flu, but I can't see Ireland inc. having social distancing restrictions while our neighbours are back to normal. I don't know what the answer is, but we'll have moved from a clear national emergency to a hospital capacity issue, and I can't see the latter being a strong enough justification for saying to employers you need to continue with restrictions.

Like you say I could see a push for a voluntary social distancing/WFH, and I think that would actually work quite well. People don't like commuting over Winter in particular. I could foresee actual restrictions on indoor venues, and the days of packing hundreds of employees into a Christmas party might be on hold - quite aside from the risk to employees, does a business want to take the risk of hundreds of employees having to quarantine because there was an outbreak?

So as wiser heads than me have said on here, it's Spring next year I think before we are back to "normal" work patterns, whatever they may be. And at that stage we'll be 2 years into WFH, and the "normal" will have changed in people's heads.

It's hard to play hardball with your employer when you know your chances of getting into comparable employment are severely restricted by ageism.

Agreed with the Spring 2022 comment.

The way I look at it there is too much *uncertainty* for most big businesses to plan to reopen offices in September or even during Winter:

• Will the government allow offices reopen in September? God knows.
    • If so, when in September? God knows.
    • When will the government advise? God knows.
    • Could the government give some sort of middle-ground rules on office reopening? Possible.
    • Will social distancing be needed inside the offices and gaps between desks? God knows. Some say yes for Winter, others say no after vaccinations complete. i.e. nobody knows.
    • Will mask wearing continue to be mandatory indoors at desks in offices? God knows. Some say yes for Winter, others say no after vaccinations complete. i.e. nobody knows.
    • Will everyone in the office need to self-isolate, who was in a shared airspace, if one person gets it? Probably and this might be a nightmare of open-plan offices.
    • Will there be another surge of Covid in the Winter when schools, colleges etc reopen and the weather gets crap? Possibly. Could the government be forced to re-introduce WFH where possible if this happens? Possibly.
    • If hospitals get overwhelmed this Winter could the government also be forced to re-introduce WFH where possible if this happens? Possibly.
    • Will pressure to improve ventilation in offices lead to new indoor office ventilation rules like some are pushing for in the UK? Unlikely but possible.

Net result of all this uncertainty will be delays in reopening offices until there is certainty and that certainty might not arrive until Spring 2022 when Winter is over.

Hence, I would guess that the logical conclusion is that many offices will not reopen until after Winter.

I wouldn't be playing hardball. I'd be finding another job.

If it meant taking a hit, so be it. My health is more important than my career.

This isn't some esoteric career development issues. Most people at 55 have substantial financial commitments, mortgage, kids at college, putting food on the table. 'Taking a hit' isn't an option for most.

We can go around on this for ever.

They won't be putting much on the table if they're dead.

So people need to figure out whats important.

for me, that's not working for a company who's willing to put me or anyone else at risk for no other reason than just having people in an office when the job can be done remotely.

That's me. What some random theoretical 55yo will or won't do is up to them.

Especially if they are not willing to reimburse wfh staff for teabags, the electricity used boiling the kettle, the wear and tear on the drawers where the spoons are.

Damn the man, fight the power!

• Advertisement

Or maybe they could just pay for the additional out of pocket costs for WFH employees, mainly furniture and home heating bills? Is that really too much to ask?

Advertisement