Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

pixelburp wrote: »
    Split is probably Shyamalan's best film since those early days of hype; it was a film where his eccentricities worked for the feature, not against it. A total piece of borderline exploitation trash that made me think Shyamalan might have finally found comfort at his level - then píssed it all away with that awful follow-up, Glass. Saw a trailer for his new feature, "Old" and it looks like Split was ultimately the exception that proves the rule.

Glass is not on Netflix, I take it? I'm intrigued.

I watched Split last night. I enjoyed the performances more than the story, and the story wasn't all bad. The cast were great, I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »

I watched Split last night. I enjoyed the performances more than the story, and the story wasn't all bad. The cast were great, I must say.

Glass is absolutely terrible. Don't bother.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »

Don't be; it's awful to the point I'd challenge anyone to find a good thing to say about it. Shyamalan back to Last Airbender worst; a director who frequently has characters not see things because they're out of frame :rolleyes: The finale and the big superpowers showdown is one of the limpest, anticlimactic, most pathetic powered fights I've seen committed to film. While our hero
    dies, drowning in a puddle

Do something better with 2 hours; pair socks, or watch a better off-brand Hero film like .. I dunno, Mystery Men :D

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

It's on Disney+ I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭rob316

budgemook wrote: »
    I watched Fast and Furious: Hobbs and Shaw over the weekend - I never really do this but I ended up watching it over 2 nights as it's a bit too long for this type of movie. It is what it is I suppose - they have moved fully into the superhero realm at this stage with the 2 leads having Captain America type strength and the villain basically being a version of Dr. Octopus or some other lab created maniac. The story is a familiar one - a deadly virus threatens to wipe out most of humankind so two former enemies must put aside their differences to save the world :rolleyes: The Rock and Jason Statham have plenty of charisma and work well together in this buddy film but overall it's a pretty forgettable, paint by numbers, brain-dead action/comedy movie. 4/10.

Its dreadful and I'd be a big fan of FF films. All the elements were there for a good action movie but it just dragged and the dialogue was so poor. Elba another actor I like was so weak in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Just watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for the first time. Man, what an excellent film. Brilliant cast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,538 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

camz09 wrote: »
    Just watched Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for the first time. Man, what an excellent film. Brilliant cast.
    I found it over hyped. Not on Netflix now , but keep an eye out for other Wuxia movies like Hero (2002 , Jet Li) and House of Flying Daggers , and when you've watched enough Wuxia that you know the rules , treat yourself to Kung Fu Hustle

Red Cliff is another film worth watching if it turns up.

Avoid 47 Ronin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Need a Username

I found it over hyped. Not on Netflix now , but keep an eye out for other Wuxia movies like Hero (2002 , Jet Li) and House of Flying Daggers , and when you've watched enough Wuxia that you know the rules , treat yourself to Kung Fu Hustle

Red Cliff is another film worth watching if it turns up.

Avoid 47 Ronin.

Red Cliff is two movies and that is only way to see it. So much good stuff lost when they cut it done to one film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

One of my all time favourite movies. I've watched it too many times though. :D

Another brilliant one is The Admiral: roaring currents - Korean movie. It's shocking how good it is. Not sure if it's on Netflix though.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭camz09

Hero is amazing, probably my favourite of the lot. Haven't seen it in years though, doesn't seem to be on any streaming platforms, unfortunately. I remember there was some buzz about it being Chinese govt propaganda or something about Zhang Yi Mou (the director) I can't remember but I doubt the visuals and sequences would age much. It's a truly beautiful film.

I have to check out House of Flying Daggers!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hero is amazing, probably my favourite of the lot. Haven't seen it in years though, doesn't seem to be on any streaming platforms, unfortunately. I remember there was some buzz about it being Chinese govt propaganda or something about Zhang Yi Mou (the director) I can't remember but I doubt the visuals and sequences would age much. It's a truly beautiful film.

I have to check out House of Flying Daggers!

One of his more recent ones is on Netflix, called Shadow. Thought it was decent enough though not as good as Hero or House of Flying Daggers, great visuals again though.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,758 ✭✭✭✭Basq

The excellent "How To Sell Drugs Online (Fast)" is back for a new season later this month too..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Big Momma's House

Uncle Season 1

Whitechapel season 1&2

BEASTARS season 1&2

Never Have I Ever Season 2

After a traumatic year, an Indian-American teen just wants to spruce up her social status -- but friends, family and feelings won't make it easy on her.

Peppa Pig Season 6

Epic Movie

A Few Good Men

The Magnificent Seven (2016)

Desperado

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Shaun the Sheep Movie

A classic horror story

In this gruesome suspense film, strangers traveling in southern Italy become stranded in the woods, where they must fight desperately to get out alive.

Rock the Kazbah

When a has-been music producer gets stuck in Afghanistan he discovers a girl with a wonderful voice, then has to find a way to market her talents

The Duchess

To compensate for her unhappy marriage, young duchess Georgiana Spencer begins a scandalous affair with politician Charles Grey.

Rust Creek

A wrong turn in the woods becomes a fight for her life when a career-seeking college student runs into two outlaw brothers looking to cook up trouble.

Trust

An art gallery owner and her news anchor husband face temptation and jealousy when two strangers enter their seemingly perfect marriage.

My unorthodox life season 1

Follow Julia Haart, Elite World Group CEO and a former member of an ultra-Orthodox Jewish community, and her adult kids in this reality series.

Heist

Millions in stolen cash. Missing luxury bourbon. Watch ordinary people almost get away with these extraordinary heists in this true crime series.

Infinite Darkness: Season 1

11th July

The Descent

Rush

The Stand-Up

The Tour

10th July

120 BPM

Chicken Run

Outback Lockdown: Season 1

9th July

Atypical: Season 4

Biohackers: Season 2

Dora and the Lost City of Gold

Fear Street Part 2: 1978

Finding Hubby

How I Became a Superhero

How to Become a Tyrant: Season 1

Last Summer

Lee Su-geun: The Sense Coach

The Cook of Castamar: Season 1

The Water Man

Virgin River: Season 3

8th July

Elize Matsunaga: Once Upon a Crime: Season 1

Resident Evil: Infinite Darkness: Season 1

added

this is a mess :)

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Boards may change, but good to see some users are still doing their good work :👍️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Watched the first episode of Heist last night and really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Edit: So we can edit but can't delete blank posts.

Post edited by CastorTroy on

Shaun the Sheep Movie

A classic horror story

In this gruesome suspense film, strangers traveling in southern Italy become stranded in the woods, where they must fight desperately to get out alive.

Shaun the Sheep sounds like it's a major change from the tv series. 😮

So looks like you can post blank comments and can't edit your posts

And you can't edit quoted posts. It's all or nothing as a I tried to quote only that part of Peteeeed's post

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Looking forward to S2 of Never Have I Ever. S1 was a pleasant surprise.

the edit is all over the shop

a classic horror story is a title on netflix :)

Ah, I know. Just the way it was listed was funny.

And I see now the 3 dots(gear in mobile version) at the top of the post is to Edit

Post edited by CastorTroy on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

How good is Series 4 of Atypical? I just want to reach into my telly screen and hug every one of the characters. Only one episode to go with lots to resolve, or make another series......... 😍

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

The Mexican with Julia Roberts, Brad Pitt and an excellent James Gandolfini is a good bit of fun.

Fear Street Part 3: 1666 :Thrust back to 1666, Deena learns the truth about Sarah Fier. Back in 1994, the friends fight for their lives -- and Shadyside's future

Explained Season 3 :This enlightening series from Vox digs into a wide range of topics such as the rise of cryptocurrency, why diets fail, and the wild world of K-pop

Van Helsing Season 5: After three years in a coma, Vanessa awakens to a world ravaged by vampires. Now, she and a motley band of fellow survivors fight to stay alive

Crawl :While trying to save her dad during a hurricane, a woman becomes trapped in the flooded crawl space of their home as a deadly threat lurks in the water

Naomi Osaka: This intimate series follows Naomi Osaka as she explores her cultural roots and navigates her multifaceted identity as a tennis champ and rising leader

Johnny Test Season 1 :How much trouble could one imaginative boy, his faithful dog and two science-loving sisters possibly get into? Hmm, that sounds like a challenge!.

Deep :(Thai) Four insomniac med school students are lured into a neuroscience experiment that spirals out of control -- and must find a way out before it's too late

Good Boys :Invited to a major party, three naive sixth graders ditch school to replace a broken drone and prep for their first kisses when events go epically awry.

La ley de Herodes :(Spanish) Following the brutal 1949 murder of a small Mexican town's mayor, genteel and humble janitor Juan Vargas is appointed his successor.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 22,123 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Black Summer on Netflix is a really really good zombie series, can’t recommend it enough

just finished Season 2 last night.

season 1 was grand but season 2 drove it to another level

Warner Bros day

300 rise of an empire

Attack the block

Cockneys v Zombies

Dunkirk

Justice league (Not the Snyder cut)

Wonder Woman

Suicide Squad

Kong skull island

The legend of Tarzan(2016)

The lego batman movie

The Matrix trilogy

Storks (Animated)

Sully

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Heist was really good,netflix didn't drag the story out like usual in those documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Watched Aquaman yesterday because I was dying after my second jab on Friday, it's not terrible.

The big reveal for me was School of Rock which I'd never seen before - such a great film; I love, love, loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Yep we watched school of rock recently and thought it was excellent, very surprised as not normally a Jack black fan

The Serpent is worth a watch. Eight part series With Jenna Coleman based on a true story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Finished Katla- Icelandic mystery series with an "is it science or supernatural" chain of events. Slow, but very intriguing. Despite the constant grim meteorological background, a very enjoyable show.

Advertisement