Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the 'there's no such thing as a stupid question' bike maintenance thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm having issues indexing a 1x Shimano GRX setup.

Ive never been gifted at indexing gears but because this was 1x, thought I could do it myself.

I can get it almost ok on the stand, but then out on the road I always get jumps on the higher gears. I can solve this by playing with the barrel adjuster a bit, but that just causes jumps when I shift to the lower side of the cassette or won't let me shift into the biggest ring at all even.

Not sure what I am doing wrong. Limit screws seem fine and I can get it into every cog on the cassette on the stand but on the road there is clearly something up with it. Doesn't seem like a B screw issue either. I've tried playing around with the barrel adjuster but just doesn't seem to want to work for me.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Mundo7976

Rubbing, finally got sorted with new discs & pads. Bled them, new wire, adjusted to nth degree. Still not powerful enough for a quick stop, but now one of them has leaked from the small bleed screw and i feel they might be unsafe.

When they did work they were good, just think it may be time to replace.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe the pistons were sticking slightly?

Thought of that and massaged gt85 around the edges of the plates.

I wont give up yet, just looking for a back up alternative

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

not sure what options are out there for you in terms of replacement which won't involve replacing the shifters.

i asked - just out of curiosity - in my LBS about six months ago what the difference in price between replacing the calipers and shifters, vs. a whole groupset replacement was, and he just chuckled and said something like 'good luck with getting the parts for either option'.

• Advertisement

😂

I may persist so

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Juin tech r1 are similar to the trp and quite good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

How new is the cable? If it's a bit sticky it could cause the symptoms you describe. Otherwise could the derailleur hanger e a little bent? No recent falls?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

It was indeed the alignment of the derailleur hanger - I noticed when I had given up after hours of playing around with cable tension and limit screws.

I use two wheelsets on the bike so was swapping over the wheels to take it to the bike shop for them to sort it. When putting the new wheel in, the thru axle would not tighten - on Genesis thru-axle frames, the point where the thru axle attaches is connected to the hanger and there is a small plate attaching it to the frame. This had all moved out of position, obviously impacting shifting. Not an ideal set up tbh as I've never had a hanger that can move just by swapping a wheelset.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Cheers Nicksnikita. Can I ask you to respond with a link for a cassette tool, just want to make sure it's the correct item I'm looking at!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭nicksnikita

this one would do the job. Cheaper ones may be available. That’s just the first one I came across on crc.

Choose Shimano if you run a Shimano or SRAM cassette. Choose Campag if you run a Campag one

• Registered Users Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Anyone here have sram red? Weird question but should my rear derailer shift when the bike is stationary? It shifts perfectly on the move but when it's not it doesn't shift up or down. It's like it's in a sort of "sleep" mode.

Update: sorted

Post edited by Benny Cake on

2 sets of easy outs are not getting me much further on my seized cage bolts and a hacksaw is seemingly next to useless in trying to cut it.

I've tried to cut the bolt head off to force the rivnut into the bike but not getting far there either.running out of ideas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

Personally I've never had much success with easy outs.

Two DIY options as I see them.

Try filing two flats on opposite sides of the head, and see can you get purchase on them.

Option two is more difficult, but you could drill out the screw. You'd have to be careful not to slip and damage the frame, and you'd want to make sure your using the

It's a mushroom head / neat flat head bolt so filing it down is difficult.

I'll ask lbs again tomorrow. He migbt take pity on me

Is there any space for the tip of a vise grip to get a hold of the outer edge. As tight as you can, it may get some movement

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Jesus, you're in real trouble here. I wonder if the bolts were cross threaded and forced in. Can you post pictures of the current situation?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Disregard my last post, I see these now.

The easy outs showing drill into the screw and loosen it. From your picture I can't see any evidence that an easy out was used, are they biting into the screw at all? Get a HSS drill bit that's smaller than the easy out (and the shaft of the screw), drill into the centre of the screw to a depth of a 3-4mm. Then used the easy out to take the screw out.

These button head screws are the absolute worst.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

@Weepsie Check out from about 5:30 on in this video, on how to use easy out.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

Why is the hacksaw useless ?

Did you try using a new blade?

Or is it one of those mini hacksaws. With a proper hacksaw and new blade I reckon that would be out in about 5 minutes

Just kept slipping I'll try with a new blade. It's a small one all right but it cut through a swing set not so long ago.

I need some new drill bits anyway so might do that again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

You would need to stand the bike so that the seat tube is horizontal and the bike is secured. Then you can use your free hand to support the blade.

Lots of different option offered here, so this is not to suggest a new way, but looking at the button head, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't be able to drill, file, or cut with a hacksaw.

As Brian said, setup is important here. No point trying to do any of this with the bike just propped up against a wall. You need to secure the frame, get the screw heads horizontal, and at a workable height.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭ARX

Button head screws + Hacksaw = disaster

The easy outs will work. Commitment is needed.

they/them/theirs

sher i've an angle grinder with a metal cutting disc i can lend you...

Ive just bought this for the time being. It's ugly, bht in this heat who cares and better than ruining a frame

also, seems they way i have to lock up my bike at work causes issues with my hydraulic brakes. Lbs asked me if I had it upside down or anything at all as he nor I could find any leak or any other issue and I said no, but it's locked on it's back wheel in a vertical position. Said, it's not common, but it can cause an issue with them for whatever reason.

Going to bleed them and hope they don't fail on Saturday

• Advertisement

Bleeding the brakes lead nowhere. So pistons and or master cylinder might be the issue

This video seems to be what I have to do, but I'm guaranteed to get something wrong I think, nor do I have the grease or bleed equipment

https://youtu.be/gqEHA2dRgqs

Advertisement