Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meter reading less than last

• 18-05-2021 10:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

OK so looking at my last bill and I'm 300kwh less than the last reading.
    My question is will my bill be negative or what does it work?
    I know we don't get paid for what goes back to the grid so I suppose it won't?
    I'm on the old analogue meter so hope they don't push for new type eeeek

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

DeclanD54 wrote: »
    OK so looking at my last bill and I'm 300kwh less than the last reading.
    My question is will my bill be negative or what does it work?
    I know we don't get paid for what goes back to the grid so I suppose it won't?
    I'm on the old analogue meter so hope they don't push for new type eeeek

Was your last reading an actual read or an estimate?

If its an actual read, you'll prob be bumped up the list for a meter replacement (technically the NC6 should trigger a replacement, but sometimes its missed)

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭DeclanD54

graememk wrote: »
    Was your last reading an actual read or an estimate?

If its an actual read, you'll prob be bumped up the list for a meter replacement (technically the NC6 should trigger a replacement, but sometimes its missed)

Yes it's actual. Maybe il just add a 100 this time lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

DeclanD54 wrote: »
    Yes it's actual. Maybe il just add a 100 this time lol.

Maybe a typo when the meter reader read the meter. You can normally give them an updated readiing via the website.

Ring ESB Networks and mention it also.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Ring ESB Networks and mention it also.

Good God no, you are among the luckiest of us, just "manage" your readings and don't give the ESB any excuse to come out and change it, you'll also end up with a Smart Meter which has severe drawbacks

slave1 wrote: »
    Good God no, you are among the luckiest of us, just "manage" your readings and don't give the ESB any excuse to come out and change it, you'll also end up with a Smart Meter which has severe drawbacks

Yes exactly what I'm thinking. I give my meter reading online so il just add a few 100 untill winter..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭spose

I had old meter running backwards as well but never ended up lower than previous reading. Within 6 months of install had my meter changed even though no others around me being done. Just stop submitting readings and hope it lasts as long as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

you'll also end up with a Smart Meter which has severe drawbacks

what are the drawback of the "smart Meter" ???

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

They can't do Day/Night rates and very likely they will gouge 5pm to 7pm with high rates, there is also huge privacy issues

Thats a bit misleading. The meter sends the data every 15-30mins. The time-of-use tariffs need to be developed by the providers and offered in their packages. The smart-meter itself doesnt have a problem with day/night... its the providers billing systems need to catch up and they are starting to offer that now.
    i.e. it wont be a medium-long term problem... in fact we will have additional tou tariffs instead of the current 2.

Your other two points are valid but isnt that the point of it? You want to discourage people from using peak electricity where possible as its not efficient to have massive peaks during the day. Most people will ignore requests to avoid peak usage until it affects their pockets, so its a necessary evil, imo. Is there an alternative?

Data protection is a concern. If the data comes under GDPR at least it has those strong EU laws behind it and I believe you have the right to turn off the analytics side of it.

I wouldnt be rushing out for a smart-meter yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

KCross wrote: »
    Thats a bit misleading.

It's just plain untrue, Bord Gais Energy already have smart tariffs available with day/night and peak rates.

As has been stated elsewhere, the privacy concerns are totally overblown IMO.
    If you own a smart phone it likely represents a threat to your privacy that is a thousand times more potent.

• Advertisement

Okay I can see I rushed that post, what I mean is they won’t do the day/night rate we are used to with 15 hours day and 9 hours night, there is an adjustment to the day section to separate out 5-7pm where specific rates will likely become very high and for many coming in from work etc unavoidable.
    Get em if ye want, I’ll be avoiding until I see how rates settle

• Registered Users Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭air

There is definitely scope for improvement on the rates being offered but it's early days.

Overall I would expect smart meters to be a great thing for the likes of power users here with on grid battery systems.
    They can surely be set to provide most or all of the energy demand during the short peak window.

And as KCross has rightly said, peak pricing will help to level the demand curve which is a win for everyone as it will reduce the amount of generating plant and network capacity that needs to sit idle to cope with peaks.

They will help to shape behaviour in a positive way as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭idc

they won’t do the day/night rate we are used to with 15 hours day and 9 hours night, there is an adjustment to the day section to separate out 5-7pm where specific rates will likely become very high and for many coming in from work etc unavoidable.

Electric ireland have a Boost rate plan which is almost the opposite of the above, one rate all day but during night rate they have a cheaper two hour period.

Day: 08.00 - 23.00 22.16c per kWh
    Night: 23.00 - 08.00 11.41c per kWh
    Night Boost: 02.00 - 04.00 6.16c per kWh

Someone will probably tell me those rates are crazy anyway!!!

I'm with energia and they have have night rate but no good to me as on old meter

idc wrote: »
    Electric ireland have a Boost rate plan which is almost the opposite of the above, one rate all day but during night rate they have a cheaper two hour period.

Day: 08.00 - 23.00 22.16c per kWh
    Night: 23.00 - 08.00 11.41c per kWh
    Night Boost: 02.00 - 04.00 6.16c per kWh

Someone will probably tell me those rates are crazy anyway!!!

That ^. :)

22c/kWh for day rate!.... obscene price.
    ~14c/7c inc vat is what you should be paying for day/night rate electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭borus22222

Have any of you refused to get the SMart meter in that circumstances? I just got a 4.7kW system and I'm fortunate to have the old meter so considering refusing ESB to change it. https://es-ireland.com/refuse-a-smart-meter/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

borus22222 wrote: »
    Have any of you refused to get the SMart meter in that circumstances? I just got a 4.7kW system and I'm fortunate to have the old meter so considering refusing ESB to change it. https://es-ireland.com/refuse-a-smart-meter/

from the link
    Put a lock on your meter box to prevent installation
    and then this

This website is designed for educational, general information, and support purposes only.

This website is intended to provide support for sufferers of EHS, and advance knowledge for all with regard to wireless radiofrequency and electromagnetic field radiation (RF-EMF)

While all reasonable precautions have been taken to ensure the validity of the information given, no warranty is given towards its accuracy. It is not intended to substitute for medical or legal advice nor as a final statement with regard to possible prevention and avoidance recommendations or potential biological effects. No liability is accepted by the authors for damages arising from its use or misuse and interpretation by others.

ES-Ireland is not liable for damages resulting from the use of information obtained here or in reference to the website links, including links to other websites, papers, articles videos, etc. The responsibility for the interpretation and use of this material lies with the reader.

We try to ensure that information we post on this website is accurate and reliable, but may contain errors. Links to content on third party articles and papers and other websites are not the responsibility of ES-Ireland.

They present a greater risk to democracy than Trump and Putin

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭borus22222

I don't deny how ridiculous this whole website is however if that would allow me to keep my old meter and turn in backwards during summer and drag it back over winter that would be ideal.

Wondering if anyone else has done that here with PV panels?

borus22222 wrote: »

This is what you need...

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/question/2016-11-29/707/?highlight%5B0%5D=richard&highlight%5B1%5D=boyd&highlight%5B2%5D=barrett&highlight%5B3%5D=smart&highlight%5B4%5D=meter

As your current meter is technically incompatible with solar, (as it's not meant to go backwards)

ESBN can and have every right to declare it faulty, - wouldn't surprise me if it's part of the small print of the NC6 that's sent to ESBN when your solar was installed

And just put in a plain and simple meter, no smart meter needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭remoteboy

So, I have just found myself in a similar position. Had solar installed 4 weeks ago. Just checked my meter reading and its 40kwh lower than an actual reading taken by Iberdrola the day of the solar install. Looked at the meter and can see it's moving backwards. Looking at my Solis app I can see that I've used 116kwh and sent back 156kwh so those numbers make sense.

Much as I love the idea of getting something for nothing I don't fancy the bill when they realise what's happened and start charging retrospectively. Is the simplest thing to do to let them know what's happened and request a day night meter? - don't want to get into smart metering just yet and will be charging my EV overnight so night rates would make sense for me.

The other complication is that I'm out of contract with Iberdrola in 4 weeks time and don't want to accidentally trigger a new contract. I'll be looking to switch to Airtricity to take advantage of the deal they're offering new VW owners.

Hold fire on the day night until you switch provider.

You'll easily be able to "balance" the meter when you have an ev. Get back into positive, then switch suppliers, then go day night if it makes sense

Hold onto that meter, don't worry about it, you're not doing anything "wrong".

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭idc

Why do you say they are not doing anything "wrong"? From the suppliers point of view you are receiving electricity from the grid and not paying for it. For instance looking at electric irelands terms and conditions

f) If You have used electricity without permission or committed theft of electricity.

From there point of view you are stealing electricity. You've used elecriticity from the grid that you have not paid for. Just because you've given the grid equal or more back doesn't make any difference, almost none of the irish suppliers allow for net metering. I've now heard of a few people who have all been in this scenario and been contacted to replace meters which run backwards.

I wont put words in slave1's mouth here... but as long as you have submitted your NC6 form to Eirgrid when you connected your SolarPV then you are doing nothing wrong.

Its up to Eirgrid to process that NC6 form and come and change your meter if they wish. If they dont bother then thats their problem... no onus on the owner to chase Eirgrid to do their job.

If your provider notices a negative reading then they will, of course, get onto Eirgrid to swap your meter asap as it is in their interest to do so... until then I'd leave well enough alone (again assuming you've sent in your NC6 form).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭remoteboy

TBF I haven’t actually submitted anything. The installer is claiming directly so they’re looking after getting all the documents together and uploaded into the system.

In terms of stealing electricity, I am kinda uncomfortable with the whole thing. I’d rather everything was done fair and square hence the question on the day night meter.

If you are applying for the SEAI grant your installer will have to show that they have submitted the NC6 form. I'd be surprised if that document has not been submitted (or about to be) already. The electrician would/should not power up the system until he has sent that to Eirgrid and since that was 4 weeks ago I bet its done/submitted already. Then again you could have a cowboy installer! :)

A quick phone call to your installer will answer that and that is all you have to do. That is telling Eirgrid you have Solar and it is then their responsibility to followup on that. You cant be expected to chase Eirgrid. You're not stealing anything as long as you (or your installer) submit that form. Get that confirmed.

It's ESB Networks not eirgird.

Eirgird does the really big infrastructure, managing the grid. They dont really deal with public/businesses,

esb Networks does the metering/connections/customer facing stuff etc

But like said above, your installer submits the NC6, it's up to the ESBN to deal with it

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭lightson

I have old meter and panels 6 months now. Got a letter few weeks ago saying they would be changing meter soon. Today got a phone call saying they were in my area and would change meter. I said I wasn’t bothered didn’t need one and they on phone said grand I’ll take you off the list. So I was surprised and relived as I like how the old meter works 😎.

wondering now in future could they force me and charge me for smart meter and say you said you didn’t want it when it was free?

• Advertisement

Meter is owned by esb, they can't charge you for changing it, even down the line.

They could come and say it's faulty, and replace it with a normal one, not a smart one

Advertisement