Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Irish Ice Hockey player Resigns in Protest Over Vaccine Passports

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Too many pucks to the head.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭cena

Irish ice hockey?

Without vaccines we'd be stuck in limbo forever.

Get real.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,431 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I wouldn't want to be on a team with somebody that stupid

There are both women's and men's national teams. There is also a league but It has to play be played in Belfast due to no rink in the republic of Ireland

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭prunudo

Fair play to him, sticking by his principles. Whether they are warranted, only time will tell but elements of the new law doesn't sit easy with me either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Publicity seeking moron.

The choice was

A - open up with restrictions on unvaccinated people

B - don't open.

Maybe the fool would like us to go the UK trajectory?

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

That was not the choice; that is a false dichotomy. The Government could easily have made use of PCR and/or antigen testing which would have both opened society and avoided discrimination.

The way the Irish government decided to implement this purposefully excludes people on the basis of age (who have not yet had access to vaccines or are not yet fully vaccinated) and/or underlying medical conditions (those who cannot take the vaccines due to other health issues). It is also coercive to those who do not wish to take the vaccines at this time regardless of their reasons; I personally believe everyone eligible should get their vaccine and I have tried to convince people who disagree with me but I certainly don't believe that cutting people off from normal societal activities in order to coerce their compliance is proportional or acceptable in our society.

We should be having a serious discussion about what kind of society we want and if we're really happy with the precedents that are being set right now. Or, you know, we can just call each other morons and feel superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

The vaccine passport implementation will be suboptimally executed, for sure, but your man still comes across as a looper.

• Advertisement

he comes across in the article as a guy that needs help

• Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"Irish ice hockey player", lol.

Next up, the sub goalkeeper from the Ballincollig junior B hurling team and the checkout lady from Lidl in Carlow discuss the deepening crisis in Afghanistan.

It is a real thing Irish ice hockey player. I am one myself, I just don't play for the national team

• Registered Users Posts: 33,287 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Being really and being relevant are two different things I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Absolutely devastating for this country with our pedigree in Ice Hockey to lose such a important and iconic sportsman such as Niall whathishame, I'm sure the Irish government are immediately re-considering their stance

Going by the comments its no wonder the government have got away with imposing restrictions on us for so long.

Rather than making smart comments maybe accept that people have differing views and appreciate the fact he felt strong enough to do something about it.

Yes he's not a household name but that doesn't mean his decision was any less difficult to make.

He's a nutter. Plain and simple.

Maybe if his opinions didn't mirror those of conspiracy theorists and freemen they may carry more weight but at present he just comes across as someone that believes YouTube too much.

Ireland isn't the only country to separate people when it comes to covid and indoor events either.

He really is skating on thin ice!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I dont know what is 'conspiracy' and nutter about this. This is actually happening. People are being segregated and required to produce certificates to carry out every day activities. I dont know this guy and of course people can ridicule him because ice hockey has no standing in Ireland but the opinion he expresses is very valid. I am vaccinated and I assume I will receive this cert too but I will refuse to carry it and produce it for every day activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,982 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Antigen testing has a very high false negatives rates. Antigen testing is no use for controlling spread at events or indoor settings. Its only real use would be in workplaces where social distancing is an issue(food processing) or care home where you mass test to see if there is infection in the area you test. It's really only suitable as a rapid mass testing resource to detect outbreaks which should be confirmed by PCR testing

PCR testing has a 24-48 hour turn around as well because of cost and logistics its not really suitable for using it as a method to prevent disease spread in indoor settings where social distancing will not be completely adhered to.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

He's not a nutter, he just has differing views to you. Yes they may be on the extreme side but it doesn't mean people should mock him for taking a stand.

Afaik, the other eu countries will accept a negative text or a vaccine cert. We weren't given that option. That in itself raises serious questions. But as I've said before it wouldn't be the first time in this pandemic that topics once diverted to the ct forum end up being implemented with very little resistance.

You dont know what conspiracy and nutter about being anti vax and believing it's all a power play by the 'global world order'? or believing that it's fascism to request proof of people before entering a bar? Presumable the chap also takes issue with the segregation of under 18s from over 18s when it comes to consuming alcohol and tobacco? He presumable refuses to produce proof of his age and identity when entering a pub or traveling.

Lastly, anyone that incorrectly mentions the Garda oath, is a freeman in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I dont know what you're talking about. I am replying to him being against the covid cert for every day activities. I didnt do a full bio on him. I am discussing the opinion not the man.

No, it's not a serious question. Other countries require you to produce a pcr or antigen test or vaccine cert to enter the cinema. Ireland does not. Other countries require the same to stay in a hotel. Ireland doesn't.

His views are those of lunatics. Only lunatics believe it's the work of a secretive world order. Only nutters are anti vax in general and only nutters are opposed to covid testing and suggest asymptomatic people don't spread it.

Therefore, he's a nutter. That's my view

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭ShadowTech

Antigen tests have been shown to be highly accurate with symptomatic cases and therefore do quite a good job of helping in situations where someone is unsure whether they have a cold or mild symptoms of covid. Their effectiveness drops off with asymptomatic cases but with frequent use of rapid tests you we would likely catch many cases much earlier. Suspected cases resulting from antigen tests are then confirmed using PCR tests. Rapid tests are being used to enable the opening of other European countries in a manner that does not segregate society. We are the outlier here.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,335 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

That's exactly what it means, and he should be mocked mercilessly for behaving like an inconsiderate cock.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

If you have Covid symptoms, you really shouldn't be going out and about, acting as normal.

So you take an antigen test and it's positive and you go for a PCR and it's positive.... that's all very well, they work, it prevented onward transmission.

But if the antigen test is negative and you assume therefore you have a cold/hay fever etc... then that is the issue (assuming it was a false negative)

I assume that's the reasoning behind not using antigen testing for indoor dining.

PCR is far more reliable, but I don't think we can have the government paying for a PCR test for you to go to the pub. Testing centers would be swamped with people on a Thursday/Friday looking for a test so they can go on the piss at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 squelch666

he hopes in the future he can rejoin his team

Well ireland dont want you anymore go join a hockey antivac team

Guys a nob

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭beachhead

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

He may be but last year we ruled out MHQ as something we didn't do, yet here we are. They are discriminatory and exclude people who through no fault of their own cannot get vaccinated. The use of them has been forced on government and leaving the policing of them to the hospitality industry shows up the flaws in the concept. One would hope they will be very short lived.

Advertisement