Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin GAA Discussion Thread: Mod Note - No 'Dublin Dominance' chat allowed!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,940 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Lowdnes gone now as well. We won't be as vulnerable again for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

I think Cluxton is doing it his way and he right. Farrell and the rest of Dublin set up know the story. He is a very private person and should be just left alone.

As for the team. I think we will do well to win this year but I think they are much better than we seen in Wexford. Sean McMahon has been a great addition to the team and hopefully we will have a few lads returning from injury they will be there or thereabouts.

Key for Dublin this year will be the axis of 6, 8, 9 and 11. Brian Howard will be key and between him and McCarthy will dictate how well Dublin do. While we have lost 6 or 7 lads Comerford, Davy Byrne, Fitzsimons, McDaid, Small, Murchan, Cooper will all be back sooner rather than later and they are as good as what any county have. Kilkenny, Scully, Rock, O'Callaghan, Costello and add in any of the players who have been around like Aaron Byrne, Lahiff, Bugler its a very strong team again. While the panel might not look as strong If we can remain injury free who knows.

The match in Wexford will have brought the team on. I have no doubt if the chips were down in a round robin scenario Dublin could have come close to adding another 10 or twelve scores to their tally.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,427 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Im just guessing but I don’t think Stephen Cluxton will play for Dublin again...

Don’t think his personality is the kind where he’d sit out xx% of the championship and around say the Leinster final or onwards throw his hat back in for selection...could be wrong but....

i know the bloke slightly he pals with a couple of my neighbors and just from seeing him and chatting with him occasionally at the gym and in a more overlapping social surrounding he’s simply very reserved yet a seriously friendly and genuine dude and from what I gauge would hate the attention that an ‘announcement’ would bring... so possibly it’s an attempt to slip away... I could be wrong although I don’t think I am.

if it was just about giving Evan and Michael game time he could do that imbedded in the squad but the whole ‘clean break’ ... seems to point to one thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Would anybody have recommendations for a history of the growth of GAA clubs in Dublin? Even a timeline with the establishment dates of each club would be a start. I surmise clubs have come and gone, too, and been amalgamated with other clubs.

Also, are there records of football and hurling being played in Dublin before the 1880s/establishment of the GAA? [There are many records of the spoken Irish of Glenasmole and other parts of Dublin in the 19th century: http://dublingaelic.blogspot.com/2014/07/how-exactly-did-dublin-irish-die-out.html ]

• Registered Users Posts: 18,782 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Only a guess but Paul Rouse is the man for GAA history in general. As for club history I would contact clubs individually there is always some club history buff at every club. To be honest I think a book on Dublin GAA clubs in general is waiting to be written I have not heard of one anyway. Gap in the market?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Advertisement

I got me tickets for tomorrow and Sunday. Really looking forward to it. Might even watch all four games. Main worry is will the players be able to hear me with my mask on? All that invaluable advice I give like ‘close him down’ is vital :)

I spoke too soon found a three volume tome about Dublin and the GAA 1884-2000 supposedly the first of its kind

‘The Gaelic Athletic Association in Dublin 1884-2000‘

€90.00

Editor and compiler: William Nolan

Contributors: Jim Wren, Marcus de Búrca, David Gorry

(2005)

160 x 240 mm, 3 volumes in hardback in slipcase, c.1500 pages, 360 photographs

I was looking at the summary. Bit of particular interest for club history;

’An alphabetical list of disbanded Dublin clubs since the foundation of the GAA to the present day is also given and the book has a comprehensive index.’

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Early start tomorrow. Will be in for both games. Dying for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

O'Donnell gone😮

Enjoyable game. Been a long time since I said that about hurling, Dublin or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭MFPM

Dublin had been playing well but they just don't score enough, Kilkenny getting scores much easier.

Too many wides and frees missed - goal chances not taken. KK the opposite its tough at the top! At least it was a decent competitive game for about 50 ish mins. Hard for Dublin to repeat that level of performance from the Galway game twice in a row. Especially in that heat. I think the cats won pulling up tbh. Did ‘enough’ without hitting top gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

I thought we did well considering the lads we had missing through Covid and with O'Donnell never likely to put his best foot forward. What was with picking him anyway? His body language was terrible in the warm up. He didn't do anything at pace and you could see he had zero confidence to try.

Despite conceding a decent score our backs did well. Rushe and Smyth were excellent. Our forwards were mobbed though.

I like the look of Kilkenny for the All Ireland. They're not the most talented team in the country but there's a resolve to them that will make them hard beaten.

Enjoyed yesterday's match and looking forward to going again today. Feel very lucky to be seeing it live

Yeah it was fantastic to be be back, fans from both sides roaring on teams. Yesterday, There was one young Dublin supporter roaring on Dublin a couple of rows away non stop for the 70 minutes. He definitely got his full value! I will be playing close attention to movement of Dublin off the ball today. First chance to have a proper look to see what Dessie has them doing.

Yeah, I think O'Donnell had a hamstring issue going into it. And Kenny basically chanced it. As you say it was the forwards that let Dublin down. If Crummy was a natural forward with his chances the game could have been very different. I think that Dublin Hurling team is crying out for Con O'Callaghan. What would it take to get him to switch codes?

Westmeath v Kildare was a nice warm up. Close up and down. Low quality lots of bad wides but exciting because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

This on the radio at all

LMFM

Post edited by ThunbergsAreGo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Legend..thank you.

Few beers in the garden with the match on..

Fine bit of bite in the opening exchanges. Especially in the crowd. Missed that.

That being said, I do love hammering this shower.

• Advertisement

Slow start to 2nd half by Dublin, Meath 1-1, Dublin yet to score.

Dublin led by 11 at one point, lead down to 4 now and Dublin yet to score in the second half....

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,352 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Not at the races in this second half at all.

Be hilarious if Dublin are beaten for the first time in years and it's not even on tv.

2 points for Dublin in 26 mins of the 2nd half! Dreadful.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Listening to salty local radio is very entertaining

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭C__MC

6 point win for dubs

Evan comferord very good

Small, Jack and mannion big losses then clucko

• Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

It's in Kerry's hands this year based on current form from both sides. I dunno what happened to Dublin at half time but reminded me of year's ago how we used to throw games away. Looked great in first half felt good now again for the second game running there's big pressure on Farrell

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Today really showed we have regressed big time an average team made it a difficult game the team a couple of years ago would have won twiddling their thumbs . Our build up play was slow and with some big names missing some easy chances we gave them real hope .I even thought they looked a bit fitter than us Today the only improvement with them since last year .Unless we have our very best fit and playing well we will get well beaten I think .Hope this post comes back to bite me but playing the likes of Kerry in this form will make uncomfortable viewing .

Yeah it has real feel of an end of an era already all the little signs of things seen in the league and retirees are finally showing

I think that match v Meath was a combination of things overall.

1) Dublin took a 10 point lead and got complacent

2) Meath showed balls and fight, but at the same time showed a bit of composure and cuteness. They kept the ball when needed and then went of it when they saw their chance.

3) This Dublin football team is now VERY dependent on a core of 5/6 players. The strength of the squad is no longer the same. If a few of those core lads are not performing Dublin are now in trouble. When the bench players come on they are less likely to improve the team, but weaken it.

4) I don't know the number of wides Dublin hit - but there was some very sloppy/casual/erratic ones - something that made me think 'You would never have seen that craic under Jim'. What happened the percentage shots and shooting zone etc. 'The process' and all that?

5) The Dublin movement and interchange was not the same level of consistency or pace. Plus they did not 'push up' as much as usual.

--

I honestly think Meath played the better football overall and deserved to win it. It seems flashes of brilliance from a couple of players Fenton, Con etc now carry this this team. They have to drag other fellas along with them. I can't remember when I heard a big a roar in a Leinster game when Fenton scored that insurance point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,133 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

I really taught we had made a return to free-flowing football after watching the first half. We looked really on our game at times. What the actual **** happened in the second half I mean right Meath started well and were up for it but we absolutely fell apart. Top players who were on form only a few minutes earlier totally went off a cliff it was alarming to watch. We did something similar against Kerry in the league in the end that game could of went either way but based on their current form they would have hammered us if it was them today.

Two games in two wins but not In any way shape or form convincing. Another Leinster I'm sure but nowhere near good enough for another All Ireland. The winner of the Kerry / Mayo will win it.

Advertisement