Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

F1 2021 Round 10 : Silverstone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭RunningFlyer

Just watched race now delayed.

Firstly, as a Ferrari fan was delighted to see Charles do so well (& Carlos) and gutted Charles couldn’t hang on for the win.

WRT Max/Lewis, I do agree that the penalty was disproportionate and agree that the regulations under a Red flag need to be reviewed. It simply is not in the interests of the sport that after such an incident the instigator can win.

But that’s racing. However, what I find completely unacceptable and - frankly - disgraceful is the parade Lewis put on after the win. When you are responsible for a crash that has led to the “victim” ending up in hospital - championship rivals or not - to go on celebrating like it’s a normal home win is nothing short of disgusting.

I really hope Max recovers well (my initial thought seeing him get out of car was a broken shoulder/arm), and I really hope this gives him the fire to “hammer” Lewis to the championship.

EDIT: Just seen Max Twitter comment above. Glad he’s ok and that he’s calling it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

Seems odd If the stewards made the decision that Hamilton was in the wrong that they would give him such a light penalty given what happened and the danger in what he did.

Should make the rest of the season box office at least. Hopefully Max doesn't completely lose the rag in the next race or two and keeps his head. It must be eating him up how well it worked out for Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,055 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Bono with his "get in there Lewis" is sickening as well. 🤮

• Registered Users Posts: 44,879 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It's a good thing max has never driven dangerously or caused a crash with aggressive overtake attempts or people might think he's a hypocrite.

https://youtu.be/lkAoSghdD6Y

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Up until the point of an interview by Sky when he was back outside his motorhome, he didn't know Max had gone to hospital - when asked about it he said he did not know he ended up in hospital.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭quokula

Practice makes perfect

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Joeface

It was some first lap to a race , Max was under massive pressure. I thought was going to lead to a few great laps at the start. I saw the crash as racing incident but with fault. By that I mean Lewis did get it wrong . And I felt the penalty should have been a drive through as that would hurt more that the 10sec .

He did do the same pass twice later in the race so it was possible in some regards when done much cleaner. I don't think Horner should have been on TV saying it that way . I understand his anger as the out come was seriously large impact on Max and the complete loss of the weekend. Marco calling for race ban is silly as well. Lewis will probably get a point or 2 on his license.

Charles must feel a bit cheated and delighted , they came so close to the win. He had a great race. Sainz was a bit unlucky as well with the pit stop . Good weekend for Ferrari.

McLaren did well also and Daniel Riccardo looked better good result for him.

Alonso did very well and I kinda think stroll was clever enough not to challenge him and just keep in the drs train , it kept Perez behind him for a long spell and also dealt with Gasly . Saved Aston something after Vettel's F-Up when he looked like he could have a good race.

Vettel and Perez were poor today . I never felt Perez was going to make the points he really never made any progress.

Interesting race and keeps the championship tight for us. Roll on hungry

• Registered Users Posts: 10,977 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lewis had punted RBs off the road 3 times in the last 2 years

He got pinged for practice 2 starts infringement outside the designated zone in Russia and he then made an accusation of the FIA for trying to stop him.

He has been involved in plenty of incidents and this is just another. However the penalty doesn't fit with the outcome.

His own team boss basically wanted LeC to get a 10 place grid penalty In Monaco for causing a red flag in Q3.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Strong race for Ferrari.. pity Charles could have defended a bit more ... but the side twitch on the exit made it acedemic.

Hamilton was at fault. You don't stick your nose in that tight when side by side at copse and not expect to hit the other car on exit, v dangerous. No way he was ahead, he was *maybe* almost level with Max on run in to entry and Lewis backed out a bit but it wasn't enough to avoid clipping the right rear on the Red Bull. You dont take the race leader from behind. Lewis was incredibly lucky not to loose his nose wing goin in so deep.

Lando -Solid result in 4th

but is anyone getting fed up with i'm not going to race him cause it will cost too much time??? he gifted a podium to Lewis in his home GP. So tell me Lando what is actually worth scrapping for..? is it for wins only and everything else is move over and have my position. BTW he was like 13 secs up on Riciardo so he had " time" to fight.

*** Yes I know scrapping with another driver costs lap time /tyre life. But I find the " Am I fighting with him or not " radio calls frustrating.

ie if the rival is has a faster car let them go, if they have same pace as us, I fight.. AAAaaarrrggghhhhh... ☹️ 😡😣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭McFly85

Bit silly to compare the 2-the video is 3 years old, so Max would have been at most 20, and still learning his craft. He’s matured a lot as a driver over the last 18 months IMO.

And today Lewis knew exactly what he was doing, it was a desperate manoeuvre to get into first by the end of lap 1 before Max gets a bit of distance between them. Reckless racing, and should have been a bigger penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Question for you, do you think drivers should incur a penalty for correcting damage during a red flag?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,873 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That's nonsense. Hamilton celebrating while Max is in hospital is not a lack of respect. It just hurt Max's ego to see it as he was diddled. He's within his rights to be sour about the race but Lewis isn't supposed to be in mourning, and solemnly collect his trophy until Max is given the all clear.

Delighted see that Max isn't keeping it classy either. This will get spicy very quickly. Can't wait until they're fighting for the same bit of track again.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Just to add to this, roles reversed Hamilton gives out just like Max is now. It's racing, it's sport.

Roll on the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭Joeface

I find the commentary on both Channel 4 today and Sky to be silly. Saying Gasly should get a team order to left Perez by and that Kimi shouldn't be racing him .

If a driver regards of where they are in the championship find themselves at the back no one should be doing them favours other than there own team mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

Kudos to Mercedes to not pit Hamilton and bet on the red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Hamilton was at fault for the crash and I think a stop and go would've been a more deserving punishment but it was a marginal call. Max & Hamilton were going at it through every corner, Max forced Hamilton into backing out a couple of corners before but this time Hamilton decided to stick it out.

As someone said the key factor in apportioning blame in that corner was that Max adjusted his line to allow Hamilton more space and Hamilton got nowhere near the apex.

Harsh on Max but tbh I think we might see the benefit as fans over the coming races, it will add an extra layer of spice to their rivalry and F1 has been lacking an intense rivalry for years.

Lewis "max shouldn't be so aggressive "

Lewis father "don't expect Lewis to ease off the gas"

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Why are Hamilton fans so touchy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Harika

Btw did anyone else realise how out of breath Hamilton was? On the celebration, Leclerc definitely was also flat.

https://mobile.twitter.com/F1/status/1416839689412153351

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Hijpo

An opinions on the effectiveness of the gravel trap at that corner?

The car seemed to, what I can only describe as aquaplane, across across the top of the entry to it before taking a jump which saw it glide across the top without any contact with. Maybe it's just the dust and camera angle.

Is there an issue where if its too deep it can roll the car? Is there a better way to slow the cars on that corner? What about catchment nets or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,752 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's not as binary as either being a Lewis fanboy or thinking he's always been disgrace to motorsport and the world should tarnish his achievements for life. There is middle ground.

Moving on from that, what the hell were Red Bull thinking pitting Perez from 9th for a fastest lap run? Surely its more logical to bank the two points they have then try to steal one from Mercedes-Benz that they won't get for themselves.

Mercedes-Benz have gained 30 points on Red Bull where it could have been just 29 (assuming Hamilton kept fastest lap) if they left Perez out. If Mercedes-Benz win the constructors by a point, thats going to bite Red Bull in the budget for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

i dont understand that either. it would make sence if he went onto soft tyres and only dropped 2 places that he could make up again . he dropped down the order like a stone

i dont think a net would work .

imagine a groegon crash with a net involved. the driver would be tangled up in it and trapped

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Hijpo

True and fair point, it probably wouldn't explode into flames if the net stopped the car instead of the barrier though.

Maybe they felt he wouldn't get to the end with decent tyres. He was on mediums when he pitted

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Tech_Head

It was to take another point from Hamilton. Perez got the fastest lap and took it from Hamilton. Perez doesn’t get the point as he wasn’t in top 10 but Hamilton doesn’t get it either. Think it was a bit of attempted payback.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Just watched the race. How Lewis got such a lenient penalty is beyond me. Absolutely disgraceful

And then to top it off the celebrating at the end was nothing short of disgusting to be perfectly honest.

I hope Max doesn’t forget that and gives as good as he got there.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Whilst there is a lot of money in the constructors championship, the vast majority of the marketing is in the drivers championship. For both Red Bull and Mercedes, F1 is a marketing tool for their other business's, rather than being the main business itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

You’re telling me you saw nothing wrong with Hamilton’s driving? Whatever Max’s past Hamilton took him out of this race. He knew exactly what he was doing.

I hope Max goes back to his more aggressive past now in the future and shows Hamilton he won’t stand for it.

I want to see hard racing but Hamilton crossed the line and he knows it. The celebrations at the end were genuinely sickening.

• Advertisement

thats the only logical explination.

not sure why they didnt wait it out hopeing for a safety car or come in late for softs

Advertisement