Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart Tariff Unit Rates

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭SD_DRACULA

Alkers wrote: »
    There are fixed price contracts available also, I think you can filter by this on bonkers.ie

Not sure that's true 100% of the ones I can see are variable rate

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

unkel wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean. I signed up with Energia for a new contract a few months ago and my unit prices are fixed for the year. 4.8c / kWh night and 16.8c / kWh day. Both including VAT

They're increasing the standing charge on you though....ba$t@rd$

• Registered Users Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean. I signed up with Energia for a new contract a few months ago and my unit prices are fixed for the year. 4.8c / kWh night and 16.8c / kWh day. Both including VAT

Most plans are variable though. I think thats his point. And they can up those prices with no more than 30 days notice and you are stuck with the increased price until the end of the 12 months (or take the hit of the termination fee) whether you like it or not.

Energia still have the one fixed rate plan that you got. All the rest are variable.

That one fixed rate plan has got alot more expensive though... 20.28/5.84 for day/night inc vat and an increased standing charge.

You'd need to be very sure of keeping your day usage down to go for that plan now considering their normal variable plan is 15.55/7.46 for day/night and cheaper standing charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭irishchris

KCross wrote: »
    Most plans are variable though. I think thats his point. And they can up those prices with no more than 30 days notice and you are stuck with the increased price until the end of the 12 months (or take the hit of the termination fee) whether you like it or not.

Energia still have the one fixed rate plan that you got. All the rest are variable.

That one fixed rate plan has got alot more expensive though... 20.28/5.84 for day/night inc vat and an increased standing charge.

You'd need to be very sure of keeping your day usage down to go for that plan now considering their normal variable plan is 15.55/7.46 for day/night and cheaper standing charge.

Switched few weeks back to flogas for electricity. Still low standing charge around the same as Electric Ireland but with slightly better unit rates.

Good to have boards back 😀

Just got call yesterday to say they are installing smart meter on Monday. I'm assuming can stay on legacy electricity plan for remainder of contract as only recently signed up to new 12 month plan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,177 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

I would assume so as you are contracted?

If you don't want it installed yet you can refuse it too.

Tried to refuse it but was told all are being installed by law to be fitted everywhere by 2024. Didn't see the point in stopping it if more than likely going to have to have it it in any way in the next 2.5 years as may as well get the measly fit out of them in the meantime if they ever introduce it

Yeah they're supposed to come install it today for me too.

Just have to be smart and not use any of the smart tariffs but I suspect the 24hr ones will go away once everyone is on "smart" meters

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Get a request in for a day/night in the meantime!

I noticed electric Ireland have a smart meter own with 10c night rate and just under 6c between 2-4am. Their day rate is extortionate though unfortunately. Makes sense to start looking at drphils lifepo4 AliExpress batteries more now as at those night rates in winter it would make sense to store it for daytime use

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Have a search here, you can refuse, it's been covered and confirmed by the Gov.

I'll be 100% refusing

From what I'm reading though you can still keep your existing non smart plans on the smart meters

Yes as long as you don't switch to a smart plan, apparently you can't ever change back if you do, the cheek of them...

Smart meter went in last week, waiting on garbage fit plans now...

Are people willingly switching to a smart meter?

You can refuse one as I don't see any any benefit. It's far more beneficial to keep your old meter.

Well it is required for FIT so might as well (won't be going to a smart tariff however, they are all useless)

Looks like Bordgais have the cheapest electricity rate but I called them and they said prices going up next month by 11% so not as good after

Their smart one is a lot more (about to be higher after 8th August)

I think that depends.... if you are currently on a 24hr plan I think you can keep that. If you are on a day/night plan you cant (for now).

The Smart meter plans we have seen so far are a bad deal for the consumer. I wont be taking a smart meter until I see more competitive plans and we see more detail on FiT.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

not necessarily. The market has suggested oil and gas is at a peak. Gas is now twice the price of last July. Fracking companies are back at full steam and market is showing signs of over supply again on oil and gas. Oil prices are falling back from multi year highs, gas usually follows oil price trends, so hopefully we'll see the start of a downtrend as oil and gas prices feed into inflation and governments around the world want to avoid inflation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Where's the issue?

I have smart meters in 3 properties - 2 residential, 1 business. No more estimated bills. 100% accurate and now options of lower prices depending on the usage profile.

there are some eejits who believe sensationalist media bull that ran stories on "major issues" with the early 1st generation - in very very few cases there was some conflict with some led bulbs (the dimmable ones that hardly anyone uses). That was about 5-6 years ago.

2nd Generation meters are used by ESB. They never used the 1st generation ones. 2nd generation are 100% accurate and there have been zero reports for the conspiracy theorists to work themselves up with - so they simply moved to a new subject for their anti whatever cravings

• Registered Users Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭Sarn

We’ve had a smart meter for the past year. Still on the standard 24 hour plans (never had a day/night meter). The smart plans are appalling value based on our usage, so won’t be switching over to them anytime soon.

If you are on a 24hr rate and you get a smart meter and stay on the same 24hr rate then its all good... as you said more accurate readings and additional features around being able to see when power is being used.

However, In the context of this renewable forum I think alot of people would be focussing on day/night rates and Solar integration etc and the smart meter plans they are currently offering there are very poor value and not conspiracy theory or sensationalist at all.

To cut to the chase... if getting a smart meter results in an increased bill then you should refuse it as long as you can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Tails142

Smart meter arranged for install next month. Not gonna resist it but let's face it, smart meters are just a great way to extract more cash from us, they can label it as green, managing demand etc but if it didn't save/make the companies money they wouldn't be doing it.

Mine is due for install on Wednesday morning. Plan was to stay in the 24 your deal I was in bit after receiving today's bill I realised flogas have introduced another increase. From 16c to 19.4c! To be honest the smart rates are looking better than that. Especially from march to October the majority of units I use are night ones and at 10c I may consider switching. Obviously by looks of it too the fit will be linked to smart meters.

Esb have a 210 euro switching bonus too which should cover most of the years standing charges

Electric Ireland have a low useage charge, could wipe out any savings if you hit it.

I was going to respond with a reasoned posts but..

Sensationalist eejits?

Conspiracy theories?

🙄

Bang on.

I think a lot of people heard smart meter and took one thinking it would be a great thing.

In the context of renewables they aren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭garo

It's a real shame because smart meters could be used to nudge people towards moving their consumption patterns in a way that is good for the environment and for the grid.

Unfortunately with the standard meter plans moving to extortionate rates there is not much between them shortly. With electric Ireland and bord gais increasing their rates next month and flogas yet again increasing theirs this month. The days of 13c units are gone for now

Yes but hopefully new cars like BMW i4 will have bidirectional charging and along with one of these chargers https://wallbox.com/en_us/quasar-dc-charger

Buying electricity will be a thing of the past (for 8 months) so the garbage smart rates won't be too bad. Could then charge the car during cheaper night rate and use all day when the bad months come.

80kwh storage battery > any lifepo4 project

That's still chademo only, there hasn't been any standard set for bi direction DC on CCS yet afaik.

I dare say my setup would cost less than the charger/inverter and doesn't need to have the car at home

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭kabakuyu

Just had ESB out to install smart meter, told him to hang on while I checked with Bord Gas that I would still have my current day/night set up.BG advised that I would have to move to the smart day/night tarriff which is more expensive than the one I currently have and I could not switch back to previous plan.BG advised me to defer installation while I crunched the numbers.

Meter installer told me that he was told I had a meter that ran backwards (which I do'nt) and that was reason for very quick upgrade,he also was told by his superiors that new meters should not interfere with peoples current tariff plans, he was surprised that BG told me to delay installation, he thought all problems were sorted.He suggested that ESB may want to install a dumb digital meter instead of smart one.😮

I had asked installer to remove defunct night heating meter(not used in 10 years) and he called engineer for permission which was refused.I was told to make written request but it most likely a chargeable service.😮

So, no smart meter for me.

Advertisement