Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaccine Megathread No 2 - Read OP before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Multiple registrations by anxious people creating a confusing mess and false perception of actual demand. 150,000 Janssen administered already. If pharmacies can use up another 80,000 by end of next week it should more or less satisfy most demand. Particurly given some of those who have multiple registrations will take PFizer through GPs, pharmacies or MVCs instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Allowing unvaccinated children into indoor locations is clearly stupid and will drive transmission over the next few weeks and put us all at risk. On the other hand, in the US they are talking about booster doses only for healthcare workers & those with very weak immune systems, which seems very sensible and a good strategy. The rest of the vaccinated population are at little risk and don't need boosters anytime soon. Thanks to our very high vaccine uptake we are going to have a huge wall for the virus to climb by mid-August, and despite Delta causing some headlines things are looking great on our current path.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Paul Reid says they are waiting for a NIAC decision on kids. He also mentions the end of the month for mRNA options in the 18-24 group but that the AZ opt-in will be available from tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭angela1711

I registered for an MRNA vaccine on Friday morning got a text within about two hours, appointment was originally scheduled for Monday the 19/07 but I had to cancel it. Got another text with new appointment for Tuesday the 20/07. I thought that was unusually fast.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

The fact that people still can't get a vaccination yet pretty much makes a nonsense of any claim current demand is only perceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,754 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Pity they couldn't or wouldn't organise a proper vaccination programme for people in their 60s. I followed all HSE advice, got a jab of AZ back in May - was left exposed by HSE AZ vaccination policy and caught Covid recently before second jab. Not particularly impressed at all...........................

90% uptake from the entire adult population (3.8m or so). I actually think our uptake could land a bit higher than that (95% wouldn't be out of the bounds of possibility).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭MerlinSouthDub

What an extraordinarily narrow way of looking at things. The best advice for administering the AZ vaccine was to space out the doses to maximise protection. This advice then changed when the delta variant arrived and we rapidly accelerated the second doses for the over 60s. These are now essentially complete, just a few weeks after the advice changed. I'm sorry you caught covid but it is no-one's fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Maybe that one dose stopped you from dying from covid? Who knows

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,176 ✭✭✭✭km79

Son (20) vaccinated at local pharmacy this morning and it was chock a block . A revolving door of people around his age . Very impressive all round . The Irish public are doing their bit anyways

Allowing unvaccinated children to dine indoors is not stupid, it's a realisation that not allowing it is unfair and unsustainable.

It seems very likely that the vaccine passport for dining will be around for a good few months. Children can't get vaccinated at the moment and under 12s might not get vaccinated ever. We'd essentially be saying we're not going to let children eat indoors for the foreseeable future, possibly into next year. And children are at pretty much at zero risk from Covid.

I'm in favour of vaccine passports for indoor dining generally but absolutely not for people who can't get vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Yeah just going by an email I got from Weedle’s pharmacy in Mallow, they vaccinated 300 people last week! That’s serious stuff if they keep up those rates in the majority of pharmacies

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Whether it's unfair or not isn't relevant in my opinion, the decision to allow unvaccinated people mingle indoors at a point where cases are rising is putting them at risk, putting vaccinated people at risk, and is also putting us at risk of rapidly rising case numbers leading to reintroduction of restrictions. No amount of politicians blathering on about "use your own judgement" makes this a sensible decision, it's a completely unnecessary risk to be taking when we are close to getting large numbers fully vaccinated.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Finally got my appointment.

Have consent. Confirmed I had no Covid. Confirmed I hadn't received a dose of pzizer or whatever already and the system said I'm not eligible.

Lost my appointment and have to wait again as the helpline reset it for me. It was 5 mins between that and me ringing. Fairly pissed off at that. It was as if it was treating me like a 2nd jab.

Already had to chase them up because of a delay

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Just don't fill that in, they've to ask it all again on the day anyway

Yeah that's what I was told on the phone. So I might rock up anyway and see what they say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭funnydoggy

To be fair the fact you caught COVID before your second dose isn't the fault of the HSE. By and large, their vaccination programme has been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

I received my second appointment and answered the online questions. I know some people get their appointments cancelled after answering these questions... So how soon would I know if my appointment gets cancelled? Very hard to plan for time off not knowing if it will go ahead or not.

• Advertisement

Just noticed how close to the UK we are getting in terms of % of adults fully vaccinated. 64% here, 68% in the UK. We'll pass them out in the next week or two.

I think based on other posters here that the cancellation happens straight away. So, you will be fine.

(Also, you'd hope they've fixed that glitch by now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭fun loving criminal

Thanks. It's been a few hours, so probably won't get cancelled now.

Oh mine was cancelled immediately bafter question 2. Wouldn't let me carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 18,337 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I had an appointment for a second dose on Wednesday, filled out the questionnaire beforehand and had no problems at all. Perhaps that's been sorted out now?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭twiglet24

Hi, has anyone here used a different form of ID (than a passport or driving license) at the MVC?

Daughter has an appointment for Tuesday evening and doesn’t drive, so no license, and had to renew her passport so is waiting for it to come back. She has a work ID with her photo and name on it - has anyone tried this and been accepted/refused?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Once all vulnerable people have been vaccinated, they really shouldn't have an overly strict ID policy at the MVCs (imo). Like, anyone looking to be vaccinated is one less person going to hospital or spreading it etc. I mean, the biggest risk at this stage is a 23 year old trying to pass for their older sibling who decided not to be vaccinated for whatever reason, or a crackpot looking for a third dose 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,774 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Do they even have an overly strict ID policy currently? I haven't heard of anyone being refused a vaccine as they didn't have a certain ID, they are even flexible with a different name on the ID, as in given name vs official name etc....

And not all people looking for a booster shot would be crackpots, they are extremely beneficial for immune compromised people.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,658 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Just to give another bit of insight into the 12-15 age group, as well as allowing unvaccinated kids into restaurants.

I'm the parent of what would be seen as a cohort 4 12-15 year old, and while some dismiss the thoughts of that age group getting vaccinated as a bit mad, we have been living the 'cocooning' lifestyle since March last year. It's irrelevant that I'm fully vaccinated, with the risk still there, my child is still separated from social interaction with friends along with a whole host of activities. When the EMA approved Pfizer for adults, NIAC approved it for Ireland within a week. The EMA approved Pfizer for 12-15 year old in May. There is absolutely no reason why NIAC cannot approve it, so all this BS about it now being requested by the Minister is crap. There would be political fallout if teens (even those in a vulnerable category), got it while some adults are still waiting. The perception is that they don't suffer with covid in the media, so the narrative suits to leave the approval hanging out there.

In relation to allowing unvaccinated kids into restaurants, of course it increases risk of transmission outside of the vaccinated adult grouping. To say otherwise is denial of simple facts, whereby everything that is opening up is based on vaccination levels. And yes, it might be 'unfair' if they weren't allowed in, but the medical facts and level of fairness can be mutually exclusive of each other. I like to compare it to the taxi driver exemption for child seats. It's not 'fair' for a taxi driver to be expected to carry all different types of car seats, therefore they are exempt from doing so. A law which I think is complete lunacy, as the law doesn't magically make it safe for a 6 month old to sit on the lap of it's parent, yet it is perfectly (and legally) acceptable. Either it's safe or it's not, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I've no idea about how strict they would be in a general sense, all of those I know who are vaccinated got it by means not involving the MVCs. I'm going by the publicly-stated required docs for being vaccinated in an MVC.

As for crackpots, I mean those who are looking for an extra 3rd / 4th dose by signing up for the same vaccination regime twice. The idea of boosters in Ireland is still not part of the current rollout as we still have many adults waiting to get vaccinated. Mixing and matching is better in any case for those folks, but that introduces real complications in the rollout. Also data is lacking in how cohort 3 / 4 would benefit from such a tweak, especially when right now the biggest priority is to reduce case numbers by vaccinating 18-25 year olds.

If there is a theme across Europe about the vaccination program, possibly the countries that allowed demand-led vaccination sooner are the ones who have kept the spread of delta suppressed to now.

Advertisement