Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

The Tipperary GAA Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Tipp 77

Great first half we need to keep it going now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭formerlyET

This is exactly what we need going forward. We've tried a few things that worked - we've seen how LImerick counteract that. We're getting a real championship game into the legs. We'll be all the better for it for the All-Ireland series regardless of the result.

15 minutes left - we look beaten. But we've learned a hell of a lot today and we can bottle this hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

you reap what you sow. tipp were simply blown away in a humiliating fashion. As i said before - tipp wins against clare will be their only win this year. sheedy should now let pauric maher, brendan maher, callinan, bubbles and noel mcgrath finish the year on their terms. No point starting the rebuilding now.

but as soon as the year is over, which it will be in 2 weeks, sheedy and his management team should all get the bullet immediately. Liam Cahill needs to be told the job is his and he has full say over his management team and his panel. he will need at least 5 years to rebuild Tipp but he can do it. The reason we will need 5 years lays solely at liam sheedys feet.

i dont want hear any other name. not tommy dunne or darragh egan. it has to be cahill.

those names i mention above have given us great years but its over for them. end of an era.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Hilarious stuff.

After the 1st half everyone would have had them nailed on as All Ireland winners and after the 2nd half everyone has them written off and Sheedy needs to go.

2nd best hurling performance of 2021 was in that first half. There isn't a team in Ireland that could live with the standard put up in the first half by Tipp and the 2nd half by Limerick.

Tipp will be in an All Ireland final vs the same team and hopefully lessons will have been learned today. In 2010 and 2019 we took an embarrassing hammering under Sheedy and won an All Ireland both years. Plenty of hurling left in us yet.

i said before the clare game we would win one game all year - and we are very lucky against clare. i actually called for sheedy and certain players to ge before the clare game.

i fancy any of waterford, clare, galway and cork to finish us off in 2 weeks.

the really worst outcome this year is we get to the final. limerick will humiliate us. we are better off going out against galway in a tight game.

only a sadist would want a tipp limerick all ireland, that would be a sad finish to the careers of some of our best veer players.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

I'm not having that they were lucky vs Clare. Goalkeeper pulled off numerous saves and the lads were taking the piss for the final 10 minutes in a way they wouldn't have if the game was still in the mix - to make the scoreline closer than it was. Clare couldn't hope of a performance like ours in the first half today - they are miles off that standard.

There isn't a team in Ireland capable of that standard (other than Limerick obviously). I'd have us beating whoever decides to emerge from the qualifiers - Cork/Waterford/Galway/Clare and beating Kilkenny in Croke Park too.

Limerick again in the final will be tough and they will be favourites but a lot of lessons will have been learned after today.

I fully believe we will be in the AI final. Absolutely no doubt in my mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

What a truly bizarre game of hurling, which we unfortunately came out the wrong side of. No real complaints, yes Gillane should have seen red and so really should Flanagan, but I don't really think it was Gillane who turned the game for Limerick even though RTE were singing his praises. It was more that the outfield players came into and just didn't give Tipp any of the ball. Literally, how many times in the third quarter did we actually win the ball in the Limerick half with a chance of a shot? And we kept persisting with hitting it long to them. Tbf to Barry Hogan, who I though did very well today, he did try vary it but we were rattled badly at that point and kept losing the ball too easily. Crucially we lost our shape and left lots of room for the Limerick forward to run into, something we had worked hard on preventing in the 1st half. Just look at Kyle Hayes goal. Yes it was well taken, but he shouldn't be able to run that far with a defender challenging him.

Still, we shouldn't forget that we did a lot of things very well in the first half. Took the 2 goals brilliantly and prevented Limerick running through the lines. although we hit a lot of bad wides and should really have been further ahead. I do also fear for Noel McGrath in midfield, based on form I don't think he should start the next day. Poor in possession and just not getting into the game. Not sure how to structure the team for that though, Cadell would be first choice to bring in, but would need Breen alongside him there as he is still quite inexperienced. Sheedy will have learned a lot from today. Limerick still that bit ahead of us. Also a special mention to Jason Forde who was excellent.

Limerick were definitely going to come tearing into us in the second half and even with 14 would have been a serious challenge but they are not reffed correctly. Gillane should have walked for that and Flanagan's one was cynical and premeditated he met Paudi straight across the neck he knew exactly what he was doing.Its not the first time they have gotten away with it. Thank god we are off next weekend. There is still life in this team but Michael Breen should be under pressure for his place and Noel McGrath doesn't have 70 mins in this heat. Our six best backs probably started today and when the forwards were working hard to stop the Limerick backs they did well but when that stopped we were done for. I'd like to see Cadell and Connors and O'Meara in. It has to be a twenty man game from here on in and the subs have to be in earlier

Yeah, Limerick were fantastic in the second half. All credit to them, savage stuff. The Kyle Hayes goal was amazing. They took over in the middle third and won the rucks in the forwards.

Very happy for Jason - full circle for him, he was listed to make his debut against Limerick nearly nine or ten years ago and he got severely dehydrated on a roasting day before the game and couldn't play. The rumours and shite he had to put up with. And for years many posters on this site, and on this thread, Tipp supporters, wanted him off the panel. Too slow they said, not tough enough they said. An amazing player. So, when you see certain posters talking all doom and gloom about this team and management, take it with a grain of salt because not a lot of people know what they're watching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭History Queen

A hard defeat to stomach (aren't they all?) But after sucha good first half performance it was very frustrating to see things fall apart. Full credit to Limerick, very few sides could turn around a 10 point deficit, particularly in today's heat. As other posters have said I too think limerick should have seen two redcards, that being said I can't take away from their performance or ours. There was savage hurling played in blistering heat, I have faith in us going forward, just hope the lads don't let the heads dropafter disappointmemt today.

If Galway make it through the qualifiers we have to play them because they can't play Dublin again.

Bring em on. We owe them more than one at this stage.

I won't lie, im lower than a snake's belly after today. I didn't expect a whole lot this year to start with to be honest as we have an ageing team, but to see that huge lead thrown away is a terrible feeling. Full credit to Limerick in fairness. It's a case of wait and see now....but being realistic, I dont think there is one more fling in that crop of players. i hope I'm wrong of course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

No fears of Galway or anyone left in the qualifiers. It's just Limerick we have an issue with and they are proving a very difficult proposition for us to get a handle on. First and foremost, they are a terrific side and, on the face of it, today's defeat wasn't all that bad, it's just the circumstances of it make it quite hard to fully absorb. We were just blitzed that second 35, the first 5-6 minutes was total shock and awe. Don't even know how to begin to analyse it. One thing even before half time, i thought our long puck out strategy, despite early success, was losing its edge. They were working it out. But then, we were struggling short too! Great first half and lots to build on there so we can take some positives too.

I do think a couple of changes might be timely. Kehoe did well, took his goal chance brilliantly, definitely like to see more of him.

Definitely. At least this year they can't utilise their favourite tactic of rugby tackling Seamie

Just a couple of thoughts post game - haven't fully digested it yet -

Barry Hogan will come on a tonne from that - what a young keeper - got a taste of the real stuff today.

We needed to be smarter at the start of the 2nd half - should have set up more defensively, batten down the hatches to at least make scores hard, even if it blunted us up front. I know it's twenty twenty, but we had a lead - we needed to start that half with all space closed off at the back. I suppose they were aiming to kill it off, I like the ambition but is it savvy when you're already holding what felt like a winning hand?

Subs needed to be on earlier.

At least some young lads got a taste. Morris is able for it and the rest of them will swim too, just need time. And I think Byrne and Quigley might have got some time in the second half of the second half.

I posted about it before, even when things are going well we've got to be able to change it, just to give Limerick something else to think about and not hope the same will keep working. Proactive, instead of reactive.

Galway has to win their next game first, however, I would expect Galway and Waterford to emerge from the four if they can avoid each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Ompala

Well said. We shouldn't forget his form for us either in 2018, only for him we'd have taken some bad hammerings between league and championship.

On to the Quarter Finals so (assuming they are back in Croker this year?). It will be tough no matter who we draw, but I wouldn't say teams would be hoping to draw us either. Bar Limerick, I can't think of another team that could have clawed back that 10 point lead today. While Galway have gotten a few wins over us recently, there is never more than 1 score between us at the finish. Whoever we draw will pose different problems, we are best focus on ourselves to figure out our best starting 15.

Galway won't fear us lets be honest. They have beaten us in 15,17, and 20 and they feel that they left 16 behind them. I think we are gone stale.

• Advertisement

there is no shame in accepting reality. callinan, both mahers, noel mcgrath, bubbles, they have been brilliant to watch over the years. great years and great memories.

hurling is now more then ever a game where power, strength, stamina and speed will beat skill every time. if we can agree that principle to be true, then we surely agree that age and mileage in an amateur sport will be a serious factor especially on days where the temp is 30 degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

What good is a performance like that for 35 mins when the game is 70 mins in fairness? That was a massive collapse in second half. 1 point scored in first 17 mins of second half and conceded 1.11. If Laois or Antrim did that they’d be slated.

Im baffled as to the comments waxing lyrical about the first half. Newsflash, a game has two halves, and it's the final result that matters!

Limerick leaves with silverware and Tipp leaves with nothing. As brilliant as we are to build the lead, it's concerning how we couldn't hold on to it. The manner of the collapse is very worrying. If we cant keep some form of consistency throughout a game, then it just doesn't bode well for the rest of the year

Id love for this team to win an another All-Ireland, id also love a night with Margot Robbie...While the latter is admittedly far more unrealistic than the former, i think its a fair bet that neither will happen. If it does, ill give Margot a ring first thing that evening.

in two weeks time tipp will be playing one of waterford, galway and cork. whoever it is will be coming off a win.

tipp will be coming in after a humiliating loss in a munster final.

lets take off the blue and gold blinkers, we are in big trouble and not just this year.

Well I hope you are wrong, I really do, but it's all too familiar. Im absolutely staggered how more youngsters haven't made the breakthrough. To be fair, the old guard have been fantastic ambassadors for us. They owe us absolutely nothing.... but there is too much hurling in the legs at this stage and Limerick have us figured out years ago.

The draw is the draw now, nothing can be done about it. Usually, the more games this Tipp team gets the better they get - that's been the pattern in the past, hopefully they can go on a run of wins - sharpen the touch and striking. Nobody will want to draw Tipp. Tipp just have to make sure they show up for 70+ and get another crack at Kilkenny up in Croker.

Why isn't the touch sharpened at this stage??? The touch was all over the place against Clare. We can't keep referencing the past either. In the past, we would have got an Offaly to get us off the mark in the qualifiers or Laois as in the case in 19. Now we have a do-or-die game against one of Waterford, Cork, or Galway.

People are actually assuming we will go on this mad run now, based on what?? Previous years? the First half today?

Because it's the early rounds of championship...that's why. Two games in.

So, you'd rather I'd assume Tipp won't? Is that it? That's your point.

What are your points, exactly?

Get a grip and stop with the negativity.

No excuse. Limerick or Kilkenny didnt say ''Oh its the early rounds of the championship''. They went out and got the job done. Difference between negativity and realism.

• Advertisement

Take a leaf out of the bio on Seamus Kennedy's twitter: "In sport, as in life, nothing is more valuable than bouncebackability."

My outlook is positive and I'm looking forward to Tipp's next game and the rest of the championship. Can't wait to support this brilliant team. ONWARDS!

Advertisement