Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

F1 2021 Round 10 : Silverstone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Hmm, you are choosing to disregard the present fact that Max turned out to give Hamilton room and instead are looking to the past to suit the narrative.

There's very little credibility to be gained when justifying something by those means.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,276 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

yup exactly, max thought Hamilton would back and was caught when he didnt. advantage Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,098 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Maybe they felt he wouldn't get to the end with decent tyres. He was on mediums when he pitted

Max had just posted on SM that he has left hospital. If that's only just happened now, that's 7 hours in hospital

• Registered Users Posts: 30,005 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I thought this was interesting, some examples from earlier in the season near the end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭Joeface

They did say he was dizzy after the accident . I assume they had plenty of head checks to make sure he was ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

• Registered Users Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭Shelflife

A couple of things stood out for me today.

The 10 sec pen was a joke.

Being allowed to make repairs under the red flag that you caused shouldnt be allowed without incurring a pen of some sort.

I Thought that Hamilton’s celebration at the end very ott and jingoistic. How can it be a home Grand Prix for someone who hasn’t lived there by choice for 14 odd years for tax reasons !

A dark day for the sport when you can cause a crash and hospitalise your opponent while you get a free pit stop to fix your damage and go on to win making up 25 points in the WDC.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

I hope Max doesn't change his style one bit, they are both hard racers, neither worse than the other imo. Today it was Lewis who reaped the benefit so to speak. Shame Max didn't stay on the inside like he did in the sprint race and made Lewis go around the outside, might still have lost the place but more likely would have still been in the race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Verstappen now knows that Hamilton is willing to kill him on the track.

How do you deal with a crazy unhinged psychopathic nutcase like Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Some tremendous OTT reactions on here and social media over this one. Hamilton really winds people up. Hilarious. They both could have backed out, neither did, one lost, one gained. Sh!t happens, has happened a few times before now and it'll happen a few more times this season too which is good for the viewers as long as nobody gets hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

"That's nonsense. Hamilton celebrating while Max is in hospital is not a lack of respect."

Kneeling like crazy for some random person killed by police in USA but not giving a fox about other driver he caused into deadly dangerous accident minutes ago?

This is not a driver or even decent person behavior. And I am not allowed to say here what it is for me..

Why should Max back out. He left acres of space. Hamilton got a penalty so stewards felt he was 100% responsible. The general consensus is Hamiltons penalty was soft.

Tsunoda crossed a white line twice which amounted to a 10 second penalty... a white line...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭McFly85

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yeah, Hamilton went out to kill Verstappen today.

The absolute state of this ffs.

Exact wording in code of conduct:

Overtaking, according to the 

circumstances, may be carried out on either 

the right or the left.

A driver may not leave the track without 

justifiable reason.

More than one change of direction to defend 

a position is not permitted. 

Any driver moving back towards the racing 

line, having earlier defended his position off-

line, should leave at least one car width 

between his own car and the edge of the 

track on the approach to the corner.

However, manoeuvres liable to hinder other 

drivers, such as deliberate crowding of a car 

beyond the edge of the track or any other 

abnormal change of direction, are strictly 

prohibited. Any driver who appears guilty of 

any of the above offences will be reported to 

the Stewards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Cars going at high speed and skipping over the gravel trap, like a stone on water, slowing down very little isn't anything new - it is actually the reason why newer tracks (and those which have been heavily modified) have tarmac runoff areas.

There was a study promoted by the FIA through the 90s about it - most of the experimentation was carried out in Paul Ricard, which at the time was conveniently unused (and the property of Bernie Ecclestone).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hamilton was at fault, and deserved a penalty. 10s maybe leniant, but you can't ignore his recovery drive to win either.

I also think it's good for the championship; points gap closed, Hamilton showing a willingness to get his elbows out, and now real tension between both teams and drivers. It's what we all want.

One thing about Hamilton, he's really clumsy in wheel-to-wheek racing. Took Albon out twice, and now Max -- all similar moves trying to send one up the inside and washing out into the other driver.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Lets rewind slightly.

instarted watching this sport when I was around 10 years of age or so.

That was roughly 30 years ago.

I watched it because it was so unpredictable.

Cars failed and crashes happened regularly.

Now all we have is self righteous person winning 99% of races and the 1% he was bettered on he takes the other driver out.

I still can’t believe the penalty. How can a driver who single handidly took out the car on pole win?? It’s seriously fucked up.

A serious rule change is needed right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭quokula

Absolutely. The last time we saw something like this, it was Schumacher in a much safer location that caused zero danger and didn’t put his rival in the hospital, yet he was disqualified from the entire championship. Hamilton got off scott free, basically being given the race win as a reward for dangerous driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,154 ✭✭✭PukkaStukka

Two issues with today for me. There’s no disputing who was right or wrong in that collision. That the FIA handed out a penalty, and the opinion of F1 commentators who were drivers in their day saying it was Lewis’ fault speaks for itself.

But the bigger issue is the penalty awarded and its manifest insufficiency in today’s circumstances. For Hamilton to be able to recover from that and still win after the collision is indicative of that.

Remember Baku 2017 after Lewis brake tested Vettel who incurred the wrath of the stewards for a slow speed banging of wheels with Hamilton, and was given a 10sec stop and go penalty. How, after tipping you opponent into hospital following a 50g 160mph shunt, you get a lighter penalty than that in Baku is utterly shocking. The FIA need to explain this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'm only into F1 a couple years but I just don't understand how pitting can be allowed under safety cars and work done under red flags to cars, Hamilton has twice benefitted imensly to red flags already this year.

I don't think the incident today is finished with, I'm sure red bull are currently scrutinising the rule books the next few days.

And what does this mean for verstappen if he punts Hamilton off track in another race? Immediate accusations of getting one back id imagine.

It depends , Hamilton didn't punt Max off on purpose, it is a racing incident and Hamilton is a fault it's poor execution of the move. Those saying he tried to kill Max are just insane comments. I do feel the penalty should have been harder as in a drive through penalty which is effectively a second pit stop on Hamilton and costing him more than 20secs in the race.

The reason Vettel's penalty for bumping / ramming Hamilton was a stop go penalty was Vettel clearly did it on purpose . There was intent. Even if I do believe Lewis brake tested him . Was that 2019 or 18 I cannot remember which year.

Max and Hamilton could come together again and it could be max at fault the next time the Stewarts will have to access of it is driver error and should it be penalties and on top of that is it intended .

The last driver I remember doing something on purpose was Perez on Sirtkon after he had spent laps behind Sirtkon whose defence was flawless ,Perez just pretty much rammed him . I'm not sure what Penalty Perez got that day . That would be a good one to check as it was clearly intentional .

( Perez got a drive through Penalty and 3 points on his license for it )

Oh and under a red flag it's considered a new race isn't it and you cannot have cars restarting with damage that is way more unsafe. That's why under a red flag they can repair .

I think it all comes back to the penalty not actually penalising the driver that was found guilty of the infringement.

Instead they actually benefit significantly from the incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

Bahahahahaaaa some of the Hamilton hate is fcuking cringey to read,imagine writing it! 🤣

I like drivers racing and not pulling out......Hamilton ballsed up,he got punished.....Max is no stranger to that either!

Championship is now closer,a bit of drama added in between teams....it's exactly what the sport needs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

How anyone can say that because you think Hamilton should have gotten a sterner penalty makes you "salty" or "cringey" really worries me for those peoples mental state.

Yes, it was racing. But you put your competitor into the way, at 51G, into hospital and then celebrate is like it was some sort of hellish mountain you climbed? Is this the "still I rise" mantra he needs to feel justified?

Hope Max and RB stick it to Merc now and destroy them in the remaining races. I love good hard racing, but the hypocrisy on show today from Merc, Hamilton was laughable. If the roles were reversed, Toto would have turned inside out from the frustration.

Benefiting as well from an incident you caused over the red flag is flat out wrong. Change that rule, now.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Some are saying Hamilton tried to kill Max.

That goes beyond being a little frustrated and is quite frankly pathetic

Advertisement