Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2021

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Why was geoghagen hart so poor? Thought he would kick on from winning the giro but maybe that was a poor giro he won

• Registered Users Posts: 26,161 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,950 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Not sorry to see Cav lose out today. Especially after seeing his outburst at his mechanic followed by sickly fake apology. A sneak peak at the real person I suspect. No wonder himself and lefevere get on so well :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The Tour organisers made a balls of the route to start with. Finishes on descents never make a great GC battle, yet there are more of them every year. They make for great stage battles, i.e. people fighting to win the stage but they destroy the GC battle in the mountains.

The rest of the GC battle was killed by Roglic and Thomas crashing in the first week. Pogacar would have still won, I think, but we were robbed of a good battle.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

He beat Wilco Kelderman with a decent TT in the end. That's all you need to know about that Giro.

The Giro can be the hardest grand tour to win, but it also throws up the most weird winners of all the Grand Tours in the last 25 years. I haven't looked it up, but I bet there are more Giro winners who have never won another Grand Tour than any other Grand Tour.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Its unusual placing last year made it an even weaker field than normal last year.

Hindley wasn't anything more than decent this year either

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Yeah you're right. Wonder what the thought behind it is, they've clearly done it on purpose. Easier to finish in a town with crowds/busses? Or do they want to make descending more important part of the sport?

Alaphillipe will lose time on climbs but pull it back on descents. Simple as

Tour routes seem to go 2 ways it's either to suit a home rider who might win yellow or 1 stage was really fun 1 year so it get repeated for the next 5. Expect the first week to mirror this one for the next 5 years like the short mountain stages we started getting after 1 good one 1 year.

There are exceptions like back in the good old days when they thought a UK tour winner was a fun novelty and made a tour for Wiggins

• Registered Users Posts: 14,303 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Kelderman - the man who came third in a one-horse race.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Ryder Heyjdal winning with Thomas De Gent also on the podium was the oddest Giro in my lifetime

• Advertisement

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Thomas De Gent wasn't doing the Thomas De Gent things we've come used to at the time. iirc, it was that race he decided he didn't want to go for GC!

Copenhagen Grand Depart next year (rolled over from last year) btw. I still go with only one of the crashes was really the route, so hopefully they will be back in that terrain.

De Gendt was steadily gaining places in the last week - 10 days in that Giro. He took a decent jump winning on the Stelvio putting minutes into Basso, Heyjdal etc then a solid TT to put him 3rd on the final day. I don't think his book is available in English, which is a shame.

I think I recall him saying he didn't like/want the pressure of riding for GC after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

The 2010 Giro comes close, Ivan Basso had to wait until the last weekend of the race to overtake David Arrayo!!!! (who finished second). Arrayo had been part of a large breakaway early in the race and built up a commanding lead over the GC favourites.

Other events in that years race Richie Porte winning the white jersey and Chris Froome getting disqualified for hanging off the back of a motorbike while climbing the Mortirolo in his debut grand tour for Sky

Advertisement