Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The General 1998 in Colour

• 12-05-2021 11:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

I remember watching some clips online of The General in Colour.

Does anyone know if there was a Colour version of this film released on VHS or DVD ?

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120706/

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 4,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭TherapyBoy

From Wikipedia;

79098-C14-42-FD-4-F9-C-AE4-E-5-DF1-B62-C03-E2.jpg

Also, the trivia section for the film on IMDb states the colour version was used when the film was shown on TV in the United States so it’s probably available somewhere. I’m not sure if it was released on DVD as a colour version over there but that’d be my first step in searching for it, you might be able to get it on import.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I prefer it in black and white; brings the out the grittiness of Martin Cahill

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭Big Gerry

branie2 wrote: »
    I prefer it in black and white; brings the out the grittiness of Martin Cahill

Its a good film but I think the black and white makes it look really old.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

The colour version is on prime, it's also had bad language dubbed out, film is ruined

The colour version is on prime, it's also had bad language dubbed out, film is ruined

Is that the UK prime ?

• Advertisement

Big Gerry wrote: »
    Is that the UK prime ?

Yep, I watched it a few weeks ago, it's terrible. Even the 'Jesus Christ' when he's nailing yer man to the snooker table is dubbed over with 'Mother of God' or something.

Apparently I was made for the American market.

Yep, I watched it a few weeks ago, it's terrible. Even the 'Jesus Christ' when he's nailing yer man to the snooker table is dubbed over with 'Mother of God' or something.

Apparently I was made for the American market.

Yeah i watched it a few months ago. It has its moments but its a pretty weak film overall. The dubbing is teeth grindingly annoying

I don't remember there been that much bad language in the general its not like a cockney gangster film were the F word or the C word is used in almost every sentence.

Big Gerry wrote: »
    I don't remember there been that much bad language in the general its not like a cockney gangster film were the F word or the C word is used in almost every sentence.

It's more what it's replaced with, it's dubbed over in the most ridiculous way. But even 'Jesus christ' was dubbed over

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It's my favourite Brendan Gleeson film

• Advertisement

Its mad that they would shot the film in colour and then decide it should be in black and white.

You think something like that would have been decided before they shot the film.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

It happens sometimes - 'La Haine' was originally shot in colour, but released in black in white. It's a fairly quick shortcut if you want your film to look artsy, or you are unhappy for some reason with the colour or contrast of the footage you shot.

Advertisement