Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move to Kildare Town

Options
  • 25-08-2020 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Good day,

I've seen an old thread about Kildare and would like to open a new one to find out more about Live in Kildare Town.

We are based in Dublin South and looking to move in Kildare Town in next 6 months. I have done some research already and by my opinion, Kildare Town is most attractive place in County Kildare.

Please can you share your experience living in Kildare Town and would you recommend or not to live in this place. I would like to hear opinion on anything what would you think to share such as transport system (train commute and traffic wise), schools, social life, antisocial behaviour and so on...

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Audcity

I’m shocked to see that you have received no reply’s. As fair as I know Kildare town as a whole is a great place to live. You have great transport links the train station, bus. Plenty of shops Tesco Aldi lidl and Kildare village right on your doorstep. Plenty of great restaurant also.

Did you choose to buy the house in the end in black millers hill?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Generally people love to complain - so a lack of response can be good :)

Very little anti-social issues.

Great recreation - National Stud (€72 per year for 2 adults), the Curragh, Hill of Allen, Kildoon wood (a hidden gem 3 km south of Kildare), loads of sports clubs, drama society (Silken Players), Toastmasters (public Speaking), events in the CMWS hall, and many community groups.

Add to that decent shopping, good restaurants and excellent transport links.

Very little to say against it

Thanks for your reply.
    My friend is seeking to buy a house in Kildare town. Looking at a couple of new estates, mainly the rathbride road any feedback on this area. Or anywhere else you could recommend.

All feedback greatly appreciated

Audcity wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.
    My friend is seeking to buy a house in Kildare town. Looking at a couple of new estates, mainly the rathbride road any feedback on this area. Or anywhere else you could recommend.

All feedback greatly appreciated

I'm rural, so can't say what different places are like.

Ridgewood certainly seems to have a nice feel to it and I know a couple fo people there ands they like it a lot https://www.daft.ie/kildare/new-homes-for-sale/ridgewood-manor-melitta-road-the-curragh-kildare-97087/

My own preference would be something closer to the town - there's a new development on the monasterevin road and possibly some houses still in oaktree on the tully road (walking distance to National Stud, town centre, shopping)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

I live in The Plains in Kildare Town, love it here. moved from Dublin 3 years ago. used to commute to Rathcoole pre covid, which was grand after the N7 roadworks were over.
    Ridgewood is a fab looking estate, big houses.
    there seems to be loads of new builds popping up around the town though. Hope not too much because the main thing I love about Kildare Town is its size, its so much smaller than Newbridge and Naas. small and cozy!

Best of luck finding a place, its a lovely place to live :)

• Advertisement

My partner and I are both 30 somethings. I’m currently living in newbridge and this might sound really stupid given Kildare towns close proximity to newbridge, I’m just nervous that I won’t like it. Sounds so silly but I’m just being honest. This will be our first home and houses seem to be very well priced.

Read in previous forums about anti social behaviour is this true?

Thanks for your Advice looking forward to hearing your thoughts

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭murt101

We've been here over 10 years and I can honestly say we've rarely seen antisocial behaviour and have never felt unsafe or felt the need to avoid any particular area.

That’s good to hear very reassuring. Is there much to do in terms of the social spectrum of things clubs classes etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,399 ✭✭✭✭maameeo

I'd feel the same, I wouldnt have noticed any antisocial behaviour around here tbh, feel pretty safe here. :) I would have heard bad things about Newbridge actually! When i was on the hunt I looked in Newbridge and I was warned off a few areas lol. But I guess people will say that about anywhere!

Dunno about clubs and classes, I didnt join anything because i was too busy and now we have this bloody pandemic so there is nothing open! but the town centre used to always have little events and even in this craziness they did the square up for halloween and it was just fab!

I drove through the market square over the last week and loved what they did with the new set up.
    Seems like Kildare town is really up and coming and perhaps there will be a lot of investment in the coming months.

Just recently saw that they sold the army barracks and were seeking to build houses and apartments.

• Advertisement

army barracks sold a good while ago. It will have housing and a state of the art cancer treatment centre.

Tons of clubs that will get you into the community very quickly.

As above, anti-social behaviour is not prevalent.

Audcity wrote: »
    That’s good to hear very reassuring. Is there much to do in terms of the social spectrum of things clubs classes etc?

There's a load of sports clubs and drama is popular too. I think there's a toast masters club too. Theres often classes being held in the library and cooking courses in Firecastle. The heritage centre have a Facebook page that shares events. I think there's another couple of community pages too that you could follow?

Do you know when they will be commencing work on the army barracks. Will there be possible some
    More retail units available.

Is there anything you don’t like about living in Kildare town is there anything that it completely lacks

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭NedNew2

No leisure Centre, no swimming pool, no public park (yet), no public gym, no tennis courts, no theatre, no cinema, no book shop, nothing to do during the wintern nights, lack of parking, etc...

What it does have: loads of betting shops, fast food take aways, an abundance of traffic lights, closed down shops, decaying or boarded up buildings and a chilling meat factory which stinks.

Just to show that the town is far from perfect. I'm not saying anywhere else is better and people might take offence at what I've said but that's how I see it and you did ask.

Your certainly right no town in Kildare is perfect.

Are there not plans for a park in Kildare town cherry avenue park.

With the redevelopment of the army barracks on the old hospital road will this not add some amenities or facilities that they town may be lacking or missing

• Registered Users Posts: 3 basha

Nod32rus wrote: »
    Good day,

I've seen an old thread about Kildare and would like to open a new one to find out more about Live in Kildare Town.

We are based in Dublin South and looking to move in Kildare Town in next 6 months. I have done some research already and by my opinion, Kildare Town is most attractive place in County Kildare.

Please can you share your experience living in Kildare Town and would you recommend or not to live in this place. I would like to hear opinion on anything what would you think to share such as transport system (train commute and traffic wise), schools, social life, antisocial behaviour and so on...

Thanks in advance!

Hi,
    Were you able to move to Kildare Town now? How was it so far? We are looking to buy a house there as well. Came across your post and it's very helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 basha

murt101 wrote: »
    We've been here over 10 years and I can honestly say we've rarely seen antisocial behaviour and have never felt unsafe or felt the need to avoid any particular area.

Hi.
    What can u say about the area around Chapel Lane? Your response will be very much appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,872 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Kildare Town is grand.

Bookies and pubs and loads of supermarkets.

basha wrote: »
    Hi.
    What can u say about the area around Chapel Lane? Your response will be very much appreciated.

Quiet area these days as a lot of the kids that used to live in the houses have grown up.
    Great central location and a puck away from the GAA grounds.

Hockey wise, Newbridge is where the action is https://www.newbridgehc.com/

It's very central, walking distance to everything. Most of that road is well established and people there really look after their gardens. There's a block of apartments/town houses at the end of that road and I'm not sure what they're like. The best idea would be to stroll around there a few times and see what you think of the area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

I am living here nearly a year and have to say I love it so far. Looking forward to seeing it fully opened up soon. Love the cafes in town and the fact that for shopping I can just pop to Newbridge. I was looking at buying in Newbridge originally and now glad I didn't as traffic always seems to be bad there. There seems to be a fair bit of new houses due to be built so would wonder what the impact that would be on the town.

I am moving to Kildare town soon and I am nervous yet excited as I don’t know what the town is like.....

• Registered Users Posts: 9 marcelomaxaqp

Hi No plans still for a public park?

• Registered Users Posts: 12 DubKildare

Yep. Cherry Park is planned for development as a public park. It's on the old Dublin road opposite Rowanville.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 laurabyrne85

Hi

Following this thread even though its from last year. Hoping to move to kildare Town. I see a few houses for sale around Melitta Road. I'm not local so hoping someone can tell me what that part of Kildare Town is like. Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Anna_dub

Hello, I am currently looking for some information please on Kildare. I am planning to look for a property in Kildare and shift but as I have always lived in Dublin, I am unsure how safe is Kildare and which areas should be avoided.

Can anyone please guide me on these areas:

1. Bishopsland where new properties are been constructed (Oak Church)
    2. Newbridge

Any other areas in Kildare which is safe and no anti social behaviour is noticed please?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Hi

Only yesterday on the Newbridge thread a person asked something similar.

they also asked about ASB, but like the 2 contributors after me, I too have not experienced any ASB.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/comment/120100483#Comment_120100483

• Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Well I live in Newbridge but travel to Kildare frequently due to nicer restaurants (Harte's & Silken Thomas). Firecastle is also great and I prefer Kildare's Aldi. I love what they did with the Market Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Xamineh

Did you find anything about Bishopsland? I am also curious.

• Advertisement
Advertisement