Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ROLL IT BACK

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭ImDave

As pointed out by many, responsive styling and functionally is simply not fit for purpose. Surely with the vast majority of users accessing on mobile devices, nailing the responsive product was a pre-migration requirement? Looking at some of the really active threads lately, post volume seems way down on pre-migration levels. Could be the good weather, but not sure that’s going to be the only factor.

In my day job I’ve been responsible for lots of migrations of enterprise web apps over the years - lift and shifts for platform reasons, migrating users to brand new applications, retiring legacy apps etc. so I totally get how difficult change management is, never mind the engineering challenges and dealing with monolithic code. People hate change, that’s a given. But in this case really basic stuff wasn’t ready. Even the fact the site was down for so long shows this wasn’t approached correctly. Referencing migrating 20 years of data as a massive challenge is something that could have been managed (I.e. migrate the 20 years of data up to a set point in time, get everything working and validated on new platform in your own time, when ready take down the legacy site, merge any changed data to new platform since initial data migration, then launch). I realise I’m not privy to any number of possible technical issues that could have prevented that approach, but the whole thing just seems poorly thought out.

I saw a post saying there is only one dev for Boards.ie? Seems to me no matter how strong she/he is, there is way too much work for one person here to get the product back up to spec. Has any thought been given to either a fund raiser to get cash in to bring contract help in, or to open sourcing of just the primary (non-core IP/commercially sensitive) elements that need addressing? Surely plenty of experienced devs on Boards willing to help out, with PRs going through the actual Boards dev for code review and approval?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

All I need is a my forums dropdown, like we had before, on mobile and desktop, please for the love of god its nigh on unusable on desktop and mobile is just a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Awful site, awful experience, if it stays like this i'm out, not that the powers that be will give 2 shites

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

to me there are only 2 core objective for a site like this .

1 is to have an easy way to find sections to create threads in or to find existing ones

2 is to allow discussion in those threads. people need to come back to threads to continue the discussion

right now both of them are a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,969 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Try

https://boards.ie/discussions/bookmarked

Post edited by Esel on

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,352 ✭✭✭✭Deja Boo

It appears this type platform was not formulated for the mass communications Boards is known for. Vanillas restrictive design seems geared toward drastically smaller, commercial niche markets with minimal clientele interaction.. Commercial correspondence vs Community-wide interconnections - there is a visceral difference.

Once a major storm hits Ireland, when so many frequent Boards in times of emergency, I fear Vanillas system may prove inadequate, overload and go down at crucial times when communication is vital (especially given Canada's already proven non-work weekends).

Post edited by Deja Boo on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Actually had a dream last night that they rolled it back and it was working again. It’s the end for this site, what a shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

be honest Boards, if your intention was to improve, have you achieved that?

Allowing for getting used to the new layout, at best it's the same, at worst it's poor IMO

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 74,773 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

A reminder - you need to have been registered for 3 months and have a post count of at least 100 to post in Feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 28,576 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

That's posts/threads though, not the forums themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

It's a brave new boards and I don't like it too much effort involved finding topics and users and threads even. I have used boards for my hobbies medical/disability issues and for the sheer fun but this this is torture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,197 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Dealing with the big issues there.

Roll it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

How do you get to your statistics? This is how I checked if someone had quoted my so I could respond etc. Cant find it on this new site. Yeah not liking it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,335 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Roll back is never going to happen.

But the touch site is a, disaster. I've hardly posted as I keep having to search for my regular fora.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

ROLL IT BACK

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 13,727 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

All it needs is dropdowns of the top menus and the replacement of the my followed forums dropdown, at least then it will be usable, while you fix less big issues, and I am talking Desktop, the mobile version is simply unusable as it stands.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Im sure theres plenty of little gremlins etc in the system and they will be ironed out over the coming days.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,587 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

How do I search within a 100 page thread for a specific piece of text (as in the old Search Thread function)?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Why can't links just open in a new tab? Why this crap you are leaving..

+ all the other issues mentioned. I'm really hoping to get used to this new site, but it is a struggle.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,314 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I really miss the 'Most Thanked'. It often meant I ended up reading a thread or being on a forum that I would otherwise never have read.

This new set up is very clunky, I don't find it user friendly.

At the moment, I bookmark threads I'm interested in. Otherwise I feel as if I would struggle to find them again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Mav11

+1 on links opening in a new tab? Very painful the way it is now.

Plus how can you partially quote from a previous post???

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Summer2020

I don’t think I’ve ever seen such an overwhelmingly negative reaction to a new/redesigned site. I’ve seen 1 maybe 2 comments praising it in total, and that’s from the well known brown noses. It’s been a complete clusterf*ck from start to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

It's absolutely deplorable trying to emotionally and financially blackmail into a decision. They are not going to give in to this ridiculous and spoilt little child like demand. It is already a big improvement on the old site and will be fixed to be more in line with the old site. Yes there are issues, how about showing some support for the small team of people that manage the site so they can do the work to get the site back to the level of usability it was before. If anything what is and has been killing boards for a long time now is the shear amount negativity and whining from its users in many forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bennyl10

improvement? seriously?

A harder to use and navigate site is in no way shape or form an improvement.

Its not 'spoilt child' to have a "it wasn't broke before why did you chose to now break it" viewpoint of this.

It's bad. its worse than the old format in almost every conceivable way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Junior

Anyone got an idea where the different Skins/looks were, I thought I had a widescreen option rather than this narrow offset version I'm looking at now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭Glaceon

I think the biggest issue for me isn’t even the new UI, it’s the almost complete silence from the managers and admins in reaction to some genuine issues raised by users.

It reminds me of the 2FM changes a few years back. They didn’t care that they alienated the existing listeners because they were chasing new, younger (and hopefully more profitable) listeners.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

The sheer ignorance of some of the comments on here is shocking. Boards is not a "free" site ... we, the users, are the product. We are not "customers", we are the content generators. No Boards without us but we seem to be the ones being treated like sh11t.

The users are the most important people here and it is not acceptable that we be treated with contempt - minimal communication, totally ignoring questions, redesigning a platform to suit the owners and advertisers and ignoring the users, etc etc etc. I wonder were the advertisers and commercial interests kept in the loop more than the users were?

Also, what's with one of the main Admins ignoring all the main issues and comments but acting like a total jobsworth about posting limits? Have the Admins anything to say about this sh11tshow?

@iLikeWaffles I have 2 questions for you.

1. Do you also think Google is "free"? I thought (perhaps naively) that the majority people knew how the main Internet business models worked. Maybe not. (If you have some spare time read up on the rise and fall of Digg https://digital.hbs.edu/platform-rctom/submission/5-things-you-need-to-know-about-the-rise-and-fall-of-digg-com-5-will-shock-you/ and pay particular attention to 2 halfway down the page).
    2. Is there any level of contempt and fu33k-up you would be willing to accept from Boards? You seem to think the current debacle is fine - where, if anywhere, would you start getting upset/annoyed with the way the users are being treated?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,502 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Home page seems to have reverted to old type(on chrome) but then the new format when i enter a thread..

progress??!

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

Because these changes tend to be very difficult and time consuming, on top of how an update was badly needed already and how much negative feedback they've gotten in response, I feel obligated to thank the admins for their work.

Not everyone was going to like the results and its a major switchup going from absolutely ancient Vbulletin crap (albeit familiar and working crap) to a brand new current-year website.

I myself would be absolutely fuming at some of the responses here if I spent my spare time updating an old piece of crap only to get crapped on by a significant chunk of the userbase. I can't imagine this website makes much more than what it costs to run either. I mean those running the website could just shut it down and that would be that. No more hassle, and I'm assuming much worse has been said in PM's (As is always the case with Internet drama)

• Advertisement

That’s great Fat Guy, but it’s still crap and should be rolled back.

Advertisement