Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virgin Media Cancellation deals

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64,547 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Not a bad deal if the alternative is poor broadband (no fibre) where you are. Still €717 for just broadband where Vodafone is €540 for broadband + TV

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

It's frustrating to be stuck with VM because we don't have fibre from Eir on our road even in Dublin, when 2 roads over have it.
    I was hoping to move provider this summer when kids weren't relying on the broadband for school and college. That was until I found out I can only get up to 12 mb with Eir/Vodafone/Pure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,563 ✭✭✭CoBo55

Treppen wrote: »
    Ok so after doing a lot of groaning about how dear it's gotten and throwing out names mentioned here they knocked it down a level .
    (They were cute enough as they know that they're the only ones with the 500mb in the area and they knew I had a high usage with the family.)

I told them that I'd be sorry to cancel but also might just get the OH to sign up to a new offer, they knocked it down to a 'final best offer'. So thats the 2 level drop mentioned on here a while back.

500mb Virgin Naked (Just broadband) €69 pm (rising to 74 I think) has now gone to:

€56 9 months + €71 3 months. (they also briefly tried giving same for 6 months + 6 months but I told em it wasn't that great)

I think I'll take it. I suspect if the OH did ring up though they would offer better but ain't got time for that cancelling and re-joining.

... oh and they mentioned the €5 pm mobile, but I told em I left that plan and went to the 48.ie €7.99 for ever plan.

No way I'd take that offer. Half price for 6 months is easily achievable and if you battle hard you should get it for 9 months.

unkel wrote: »
    How do you know which you got, can you tell from the speed alone? The guy was in the manhole in my front garden, so I am assuming he put through a new ftth cable into my house. I'm getting over the 500mbps down and 50mbps up that they promised (on wifi on my phone, when I stand close to the router)

If you're in the 500 area for speed it's ftth. Fttc is a maximum of 100meg and it drops the further you are away from the cabinet.

rob316 wrote: »
    I'm going to dump Virgin they are twice the price of Vodafone now for BB. Do you need landline for Vodafone?

Go to the VF site and put in your eircode and let us know what speed is available.

• Advertisement

Any way of getting that deal by ringing Eir?

No idea, you can give it a go.

I think it's partly because FTTH is fairly new in my area. So far I'm impressed compared to Virgin. Faster upload speed and lower ping.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Legit_ie

unkel wrote: »
    I used to be on that bundle many years ago. The main benefit is that it came with unlimited international phone calls (using their "landline")

So unless your father has friends / family overseas that he rings a lot, he might want to change package / provider. On the above package the full price I paid was about €92 per month, but most years I got 6 months, sometimes 9 months half price. So he sure is overpaying. Tell him to change all his utilities every year from now on or if he is too old to do that himself, you do it for him!

Thanks for the info, will do !

Well I'm no longer a VM customer and after the cancellation chat with the rudest man in existence I never will be again👿

My Digiweb FTTC connection is absolutely flying along I'm getting 75meg down and 19 up, the router is fantastic using a tenth of the power the small oven that VM supply does. Don't think I'd be too pushed in getting FTTH tbh, what I have is very stable which is the main thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Anyone elses BB jumping of late ? past few days for me is a constant on/off

they picked a bad time to become unreliable with price hike next month taking it to 67 euro pm for me .............I might finally cut the cord

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭donnacha

Have got my cancellation date for month end. Broadband only user. Rang today and best offer they could make was €15 off for 6 mths. Will try again next week...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Treppen

Their next offer should be 15 off for 9 months. That's what I got em down to. Tell them your partner might sign up as a new user instead.

If there's no budget then maybe offer to switch to €5 mobile if they lower the broadband cost.

Im on 500mb naked with high use in house but I wonder would the 250mb do just as well.

Just keep going on about how expensive it's getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I was on the 240mb with home phone (9 months half price and 3 months full price at 60) which was about to expire. i rang yesterday and after 45 mins got through. Eventually manged to get 1GB for 42.50 for 6 months followed by 85 for 6 months. I thought it was a good deal as they were only offering me 10 euro off per month for 9 months on the 240mb.

On a side note I'm back on to them today waiting now 1hr 15 mins as the new modem isnt getting an internet signal. I'm stuck with Virgin as the next offering available to me is 80-90mbps. Fingers crossed for SIRO of FTTH to arrive by this time next year.

The 1gb service is a whole ball of hassle. I've left them and gone back to my 70meg fttc service with Digiweb you wouldn't notice any difference in day to day usage torrents take a bit longer but that really depends on seeds available more than what my connection can offer. My house would be a big user with up to 15 devices on here in the evenings and everyone is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Hi,

Are people having to actually tell them they are cancelling, to get some sort of discount / special offer?

Also, is there a particular number to call, or is it just the main line?

Thanks

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭Patser

I told them I was cancelling, didn't get any sort of offer and I'm now with vodafone........

Every previous year, I followed same procedure, cancel and wait for loyalty to ring, they never did this year?? So so no idea if there was a change of procedure this year, or if I just fell through cracks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭donnacha

Rang again this morning. Think I got lucky with the agent - straight off I was offered 9 mths half price and 3 mths full price on current package (with the €4 price increase). More than happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just wondering if you are leaving Virgin and have a choice between the likes of Eir Vodafone etc who have the gigabyte internet in your area, I take it Eir customer service still sucks did I read before that Vodafone are great but limit what you can download per month?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭FrankN1

Looking to cancel my Virgin contract as I'm moving and don't think the current housemate wants to stay with them. They said I have to pay 450 cancellation fee!? Is this allowed when I'm moving & changing address.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭dmigsy

Just had the same conversation with them. 450 quid! I've just cancelled with them as I'm moving next week, paid my last bill (to cover the 30 days notice which is fair enough) and cancelled the direct debit. I'll return their equipment and then we'll see how they get on chasing me for the 450.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Cookiee

Wow how is it 450€ cancellation fee? On their fees list it says cancelling is 150€ I'm concerned because I may have to cancel in contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭dmigsy

150 per service. So if you have phone, broadband and TV they want 450 🤣. Absolute gangsters.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭EarWig

Are you sure that you didn't have a discount deal. If you cancel before the contract is up they will reclaim the discount.

Ah **** I see, I only have broadband with them so shouldn't be more than 150.. idk though they could try pull something and charge more

• Registered Users Posts: 37 pablo57

Just a question for anyone with Virgin and with the Sky Sports add-on: does it include Sky Sports F1 channel?

It's not mentioned on their website, but assume it's included ...

Phoned up to discuss disconnecting today - automated service said its a 30 min wait 🙄

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Shee7

Out of contract. Rang them twice today to cancel; gave up after 15 mins and then after 20 mins. Sent them an email instead. Paid my last bill by card online and cancelled direct debit immediately.

Was with VM for 3 years, always got a good deal to renew. On 500mb speed. Last two years was 50% off for 9 months (€67.50 p/m worked out at €607.50 for year).

This year offered €15 off for 6 months. (€73 p/m worked out at €786 for year).

Shopped around. Went with Pure Telecom instead. 1000mb speed. Free installation. €40 p/m and €480 for the year. Used in parallel for a week with VM and found Pure Telecom speeds are excellent.

Disappointed to leave VM but with improved speed and significant saving it's a no brainer!

Did they make any effort to keep you, after you sent them the email telling them you were cancelling, or where did that €15pm discount come from please ?

Also, what email address did you use please

Many thanks

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Shee7

Haven't heard from them yet. I had rung them about 3 weeks ago (got through to their sales department in no time). Explained I was out of contract and was there any deals going to renew. Nice fella and all but adamant I wasnt getting the 50% deal 3 years in a row.

Will PM you email I found. Not allowed post links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Jayprey

Trying to get through to Virgin today and have been waiting almost 40 minutes to try and get through to someone? Is this normal now? I remember the days where they used to win best customer service awards. Are they the new Eir? :)

Advertisement