Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covid 19 Part XXXV-956,720 ROI (5,952 deaths) 452,946 NI (3,002 deaths) (08/01) Read OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Numbers have always been of adult population. No point including a group we may not even decide to vaccinate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭prunudo

Thats what I figured, as I said the choice of the word people implies everyone. But I suspect that is intentional and typical 'political speak' to make it seem better than it is.

Still great numbers btw, not denying that.

The new layout is crap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭corkie

As of midnight, Saturday 17th July, we are reporting

1179* confirmed cases of #COVID19.

22 in ICU. 91 in hospital.

*Daily case numbers may change due to future data review, validation and update.

https://twitter.com/roinnslainte/status/1416768016721883137

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭Cork2021

Funny that the push notifications don’t say why there’s 91 in hospitals. Mayo and Sligo hospitals have outbreaks!

how is this still happening?

yet some of these hospitals won’t let partners of pregnant women in!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Great drop in numbers and positivity today, hopefully get under the 1000 cases tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Hospital rising stably. Biggest win is ICU unchanged

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Vaccinated or non vaccinated?

young or old.

we need these details to know how big a problem this is.

icu will increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Yep, why is it so difficult to get some basic data out there that can give people a sense of where things are at. Who's in ICU, for how long, underlying conditions?, age? Same for hospitalisations - are they 'seriously' ill, or just on a drip overnight and getting out. It would be nice to know.

I hate the new boards layout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Cant see that happening, high numbers yes, hospital numbers low, i know one thing by boss wont lock down again no matter what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭brickster69

I would be more worried about how many people are running around undetected and spreading it, than what the details of people in hospital are.

All roads lead to Rome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

In other countries with Delta, the younger and the vaccinated seem to be suffering shorter and less difficult illness in hospital (still unpleasant and scary though). So hopefully the hospitalisation figure doesn't turn into ICU figures at the same rate as before, and also importantly people don't spend as long in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 dariucs

An nuacht is déanaí ar COVID-19 https://shrinke.me/RDOEetJz

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Spiderman0081

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Anybody know what time the HSE start sending out texts regarding test results? The website only says every 7 days until 9pm.

I read on the RTE site today that the president of the IMO Dr Ina Kelly said that "we would like every case to be prevented if possible". That is the mindset now that has taken hold.

I was talking to someone earlier who is fully vaccinated yet is very cautious about being indoors where other vaccinated people are.

That is fine as it's their choice but it is sad to hear at this stage and is indicative of the wider problem of being unable to live alongside an endemic virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

How do you mean by "very cautious"?

People on here have very differing views on what that might cover.

From what was said the person is living like it is April 2020.

I was wondering moreso about the actions/precautions in question. Again, different people acted in different ways at various points.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's her job to express medical opinions in very general terms. Such individuals also want us not to do lots of other things we as humans enjoy. There is nothing wrong with these kinds of views but it should also serve as a reminder that life is so much more complex than just a medical commentary.

Congrats to the UK on today. This pandemic is over, showing good leadership at last.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

They have the intelligence to realise the vaccines have won and the virus and it's variants are unable to bypass it.

It is over.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Yeah. I've no problem with people wanting to be cautious and make their own risk assessment, but we can't build public policy around the most risk-averse and cautious people. Unfortunately I think there is a large block of people who don't really understand risk, and will have to be brought on a journey to explain that Covid isn't going away, people are going to get sick, people are going to die from it - we can't let it get out of control, but we can't also remain in an extreme lockdown once vaccinations are completed. This is a different situation to last year where none of us had any protection, the vaccines are as good as they are probably ever going to get (with some caveats), this is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

If we didn't have social media and a 24/7 media environment we would not have noticed much about covid last year even. It is still the case, without vaccines, that the vast majority of people have little to no symptoms from it. The age profile of those dying makes it clear that simply being at the life expectancy in Ireland was enough to create a risk factor for you. For younger people, obesity is a big factor in vulnerability which is not a reason for locking down all of society - put out a message for people to lose the gut, do exercise and cut down their alcohol but of course those yellow covid awareness posters make no mention of the best defence against covid; protecting your own immune system! At a certain point, I'm not sure when perfectly healthy people started to shift into a mindset of "I am terrified to contract covid" as this is entirely irrational.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I've noticed some serious sour grapes about them reopening that says more about those criticising it than it does about the UK. 90% of adults have had at least one dose of a vaccine and almost 70% are fully vaccinated (and climbing). There is no legitimate reason to prolong restrictions which makes me question the genuineness of those creating uncertainty and even fear about it. The anti-vaxx extremists have met their direct opposites in those crying wolf over the UK easing today.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is a fair comment. We already know many (most?) people are really bad assessing risk. Whether that's because they're far too cautious for the scenario, or not cautious enough, we've seen crazy behaviour from all ends of the spectrum throughout this pandemic.

Like you say, there will need to be some level of "reset" of expectations to be done. Plenty of people who've lost sight of the fact that protecting the hospitals was ALWAYS the end goal here. Not getting overwhelmed so that they could continue to provide all services. No matter what way you spin it, there is a fundamental truth that people die, people die of viruses, and if herd immunity is possible, then great, if not then we have to do what we can to protect ourselves while allowing life to continue. We eliminated many diseases through vaccination, but we didn't restrict society indefinitely while vaccination was taking place. We cannot keep ourselves restricted in order to save every single life. We cannot save every single life. We are animals living in an ecosystem that is beyond our control. Infection is part and parcel of that. Deaths from infection are part and parcel of that. We have to strike a balance between acceptable deaths and acceptable restrictions.

People die of 'flu every year and aside from infection controls in hospitals, we don't do anything else. Once we're at the same threshold with covid, then we have no rational basis for restrictions.

On Twitter the cry is often, "what about long covid?!". But it's not a rational basis for maintaining restrictions. For a start, it's poorly defined. But also, if people didn't die of covid and a certain % developed long covid, then we would never have locked down in the first place. From a healthcare standpoint, long covid is manageable, even if we end up with hundreds of thousands of sufferers.

It's clear that those running the show know all this. NPHET are not recommending further restrictions. Reid spoke yesterday about a "bumpy ride". They have no intention of locking down again if it can at all be avoided, and they believe that we can probably weather this surge because our vaccination rates are so high. We will vaccinate enough people before there is enough time for this virus to do any serious damage. If anyone still thinks that NPHET are itching for a lockdown, consider that we've had an average of 1,200 cases a day for the last 4 days. And nobody is talking about it. "Stay safe". International travel is open again today. Indoor dining most likely next Monday. Incomprehensible last year. The whole game has changed, and people are going to have to accept that a certain level of infection and ICU admissions are acceptable.

Yes, those 22 people in ICU are someone's mother, father, sibling. But so are the thousands of people who've had serious medical care removed or restricted.

Because the primary aim here is not to prevent Covid deaths. It's to prevent other deaths from occurring due to all our health resources being consumed by covid.

Great summary. Thanks

I don't think "sour grapes" are the reason people are criticising the UK's opening up..

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Yes, I've noticed the same, notably from how RTE are covering it. RTE's angle is that it is a big gamble, but as RTE have repeatedly showed during the pandemic, they are straying into opinion territory, rather than strictly reporting what is happening. There are people/medical professionals who are criticising the UK's reopening, and that may be a valid criticism, but RTE are presenting the decision to reopen as reckless as if it is a given.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,544 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

"Yes, those 22 people in ICU are someone's mother, father, sibling. But so are the thousands of people who've had serious medical care removed or restricted"

Why do people deny that the second group are caused by Covid and the solution to their problem is to restrict Covid?.

We have had endless dangerous misleading nonsense posted here and elsewhere to the effect that removing restrictions on pubs will somehow help cancer patients, when the exact opposite is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,036 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I know of a couple of people in their 60s who are fully vaccinated but are going to be unwilling to go inside anywhere anytime soon as vaccinated people are still getting the virus. I explained to one that the vaccination stops you from getting seriously ill as opposed to you not getting the virus at all but they weren't interested, you don't want to get it even after being fully vaxxed. That's completely his call but as said above we can't base public policy on that mindset, I'd imagine numbers for hospitality will be down for sometime even after indoor dining finally reopens.

Advertisement