Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

• 19-07-2021 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭

Personally right now no.

It's approved for emergency use only

The data says it risk to kids from covid is very low. Up to now the irish government have said this, they are starting to change their tune. The risk from the vaccine is unknown.

Ten years out and children who developed narcolepsy from swine flu vaccines are still fighting for compensation.

The way the article puts it he expects NIAC to approve it. There is no if they feel it is save....

The introduction of the vaccine pass for anything other than international travel crossed a line for me. I fully expect it to be expanded to busses/trains.., college some jobs and possibly even schools.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Risk for children (as far as I can see) is near zero. I currently see no need to vaccinate children, certainly those under 16. I would not be keen on it unless there is some change and we have absolute clear evidence to say Covid is a significant risk to children.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

That can easily be arranged. The question is would you comply? What if they said no vaccine pass no school!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭growleaves

No.

'Vaccine nationalism' has gotten a little out of hand imo.

Leave children alone, and accept that not every 85 year old has a long span ahead of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

"It's approved for emergency use only" is not correct. They are authorised for use in the same way as conventional medicines.

At the moment, it is only the Pfizer vaccine that is authorised in children 12 and over. All the others are approved only for 18+. It will be quite a while before we have sufficient supplies of Pfizer to consider it. By the time that happens, there will be a lot more data from other countries on use in children so we'll know a lot more about the safety of them.

I would comply with evidence, but I am not seeing any evidence of a significant risk to children. Parents with at risk children are welcome to make their own choices, I have no issue with that. It would be very dangerous for the government to force vaccinations on children at this point in time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

No, they don’t need it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

The empirical evidence is there for all. Young children with covid have next to no symptoms nor illness. So what's the motivation for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

We can never hit herd immunity unless we vaccinate kids so that's the biggest benefit. My children have each received at least a dozen vaccines since they were babies so do not understand why anyone would have an issue adding this one to the list.

We'll never reach herd immunity without it. We have more than a million people under 18.

Infection will keep circulating and keep picking vulnerable people off. Maybe not in huge numbers but it will always be a risk.

Serious illness in children is rare but not a zero risk. Enough kids get it, then a number will get really sick and some will die.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

I'd be concerned about giving pfizer to a teenage son with myocarditis (heart inflammation) reported in 1 in 3000 cases of young men aged 16-30 in Israel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

Herd immunity via vaccination is a mirage. We know that Pfizer vaccine is only 50% to 60% efficacious against delta with respect to symptomatic infection so the vaccines will never eradicate Covid rather protect people from the worst of it.

Its increasingly clear that Covid is now endemic and we’re all going to get it at some stage. We will get to a point in a year or two where everyone will have at least partial immunity and emerging Covid strains/variants will cause mild to moderate symptoms.

The issue I have with vaccinating children is that their risk from Covid is so low it’s incalculable and the risk of adverse events from the vaccine are far more of a threat to them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 36,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Precisely. We either attain herd immunity or we end up with a new vaccine-resistant variant and start all over again.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Yes. IMO the virus poses a greater health risk to them than the vaccine.

https://www.fda.gov/emergency-preparedness-and-response/coronavirus-disease-2019-covid-19/pfizer-biontech-covid-19-vaccine1

Still under emergency use in US

Not so sure if it's the caser in europe, depends on how you intrepid the wording

Conditional marketing authorisation

conditional marketing authorisation is one of EU’s regulatory mechanisms for facilitating early access to medicines that fulfil an unmet medical need, including in emergency situations such as the current pandemic.

https://www.ema.europa.eu/en/news/ema-recommends-first-covid-19-vaccine-authorisation-eu

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

Myself and my wife have talked about it and our 14yo won't be getting it. Our 19 year old has already decided she's not getting it neither. The risks are virtually zero for either as the virus is no more dangerous than a common cold for that age group.

Yea I'm the same I've had both shots, my wife is due her second, we've eight year old twins and we aren't keen on the getting the vaccine. I think there will be a lot of pressure from government to do it. Including do it for the grannies and probably the vaccine pass at the end of it all. No pass = No school.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭scuba8

I would absolutely have my children get whichever vaccine is approved for them.

if the attitude of some around here was prevalent previously we would still be struggling with Smallpox and Polio.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

My children want the vaccine ASAP in the hope that normal life will return.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

12-15 may be considered here but nowhere are they looking at doing younger than that yet, if ever. No pass for something like measles makes sense at an R0 of 16-18 where you really need 95% of the whole population vaccinated but that is not COVID and risks to smaller kids are pretty small.

Younger children are not impacted by this - it is not Smallpox or Polio. If you live in fear of this virus, by all means vaccinate your children when ready. Don't be outraged when others refuse to do the same.

• Advertisement

Normal life should resume without the need to vaccinate the younger children whom are not impacted by this.

It's a tough sell - grannies should be vaccinated and children have a right to school. It will be a very divisive issue.

A 5 year old was given the swine flu vaccine, he will never drive, ride a bike, swim, surf.... his ability do get an education or job is impacted. He's now 15 and has finally reached a settlement after going to the high court to get it. So his parents probably had to scrimp and save to fund that. So they and any siblings missed out on things we would all like to give our children. They aren't the only ones.

The reason that sticks with me was around the time of swine flu I'd a bad chest infection and when to my GP, we got to talking about the vaccine, he was very suspicious of it because the HSE wanted doctors to cover it under their practice insurance and not the HSE's he felt they were worried about it so pushed in on the GP's, he was right!

Smallpox and Polio, they've had them - those are high risk illness.

In the United States they have FDA Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) which is not the same as FDA approval (less rigorous).

In Europe they have Conditional Marketing Authorisation which means they can be sold for 1 year without full data on efficacy and side-effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is a particularly obnoxious framing of the issue, similar in tone to the "why don't you just hide under your bed" framing of relaxation of restrictions.

It is not necessary to "live in fear" (or conversely, signal your bravery) in order to make the judgement that the overall risk/benefit of the vaccine falls one way or another.

There are known inflammatory side effects from both the vaccines and the virus, so the judgement of which is "better" depends on a number of factors, not least the risk of infection which varies as the pandemic waxes and wanes.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Drexel_3

I'm very pro vaccine but would hesitate getting the kids done for covid just yet. No enough information out there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

No

Even the OP's posted article (Newstalk FFS) states the WHO stance that Children should not be vaccinated.

The term approved seems to be thrown around here a lot in relation to these vaccines. "Conditional marketing authorisation" from the EMA or "Emergency Use Authorization" from the FDA does not equate to approved.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭TefalBrain

There will be blue murder if they try and prevent kids going to school because they are not vaccinated. I'm not anti vax by any means and yes iv'e seen the very rare cases of kids getting sick and a tiny tiny percentage who have died from Covid but the vast vast majority have a few sniffles and they are better. If other parents want to let their kids have it i totally respect that but i'll wait and see for a couple of years and see the long term issues if any.

The WHO stance is a general one because most vaccines have not been studied in children. The Pfizer one has been.

Also, the WHO does not agree with vaccinating Western children while vulnerable people in developing counties are still unvaccinated. Which is fair enough.

This is important though. The vaccines are approved. A conditional authorisation means you have to file a yearly progress update on ongoing studies and safety. That is all. It is very common even for non-pandemic drugs and it is utterly disingenuous to paint this as a safety concern. The alternative is to get vaccines sometime in 2027.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

No they don't need it, and I say this as someone who got my 2 Pfizer shots and my wife has too.

But look at the data on covid with kids and flu is actually worse for them - the people pro vaccinating kids will say it's to protect the elderly and vulnerable - the elderly and vulnerable that will be 100% done by the time they go on to kids ???

Clown world.

Advertisement