Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really loud fan and machine powers of randomly

Options
  • 17-07-2021 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

I have a windows 10 machine.

The fan is really loud and the pc powers of randonly at times.

Anmy ideas what could be causing the issue?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Sounds like it's overheating. Desktop or laptop ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭thebourke

desktop

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Have you ever cleaned it out? The various fans, heatsinks and ventilation holes get clogged up with dust over time, and need cleaning out now and then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

The machine will power off if the CPU is getting too hot. It might have always been near to an overheat. If cleaning the fans does not help, get some thermal paste and reseal the cpu.

Cleaning the fan...do you need to do that with a can of compressed air or you just clean of the dust manually with a brush etc?

regards the thermal paste and resealing the cpu...is that difficult to do as i have never done it before?

will any thermal paste do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

Personally, I'd just spend loads of time with a brush. Keep in mind it's not just the cpu fan your looking at it's checking the vents at the front and rear as well.

Resealing the cpu is just a matter of taking off the cpu cooler from it's mount, and taking out the cpu to scrape whatevers on it off and putting it back in again once you have applied some paste. There are lots of videos on youtube about this. You should watch one first. They would be under headings such as 'Reapplying thermal paste to a cpu'. I don't have a recommendation for thermal paste. I bought some and I was just lucky it was fit for purpose. If you find some that's branded/has some reviews, go for it.

Resealing the cpu is going with the suspicion that someone did a bad job while mounting your cpu in the first place.

Before you do that. I'd try and discount the graphics card as being the problem. That's the only other thing I can think of that can cause unexpected restarts. Do you have a graphics card? If so do you have access to a spare? Alternatively, does your cpu have inbuilt graphics so you can test your system without it?

You can leave the side panel off your pc as well to deal with heat. Lots of people do and as long as there are no kids running around it will be fine.

ok will try it out with the brush..

one thing i have noticed, i am getting 'Very High' power usage for cryptographic services if i look in task manager

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,532 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

knowing how much dust computers can accumulate, if you can, take it outside before opening it out and blowing out any buildup. you could end up sitting in a cloud of dust.

My vacuum cleaner allows me to run it in reverse, which I use to give my desktop machine a regular clean out. Do it outside though especially if it's pretty dirty. Use a small brush to remove any stubborn dust on the fan blades as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

• Advertisement

That PC isn't that dirty really, I've seen some pretty disgusting examples in my time, not too different to what's shown in this video ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

check for BIOS updates as have seen many situations where power and heat management is not working properly and may be fixed in an updated BIOS.

Advertisement