Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Tilden Katz

I think my post will be deleted as my account is too young. But I clicked on somebody's profile there to see their new posts. I couldn't see any of their posts, never mind their new ones when I clicked on 'Activity'.

Also, how do I see who has quoted my posts?

This was all tried on my laptop. Fawgeddabout the phone site which is a disaster.

Can anyone else ask these questions for me as this post will probably be deleted? Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Of course - hidden/admin protected, but as long its not "page not found" its there....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

My chrome browser defaults to a secure connection if one is available. If it can't use https then chrome gets very upset about it.

Wake me up when it's all over.

I can imagine that a rollback is a non starter but it might not be too late to switch off Vanilla and turn the old system back on.

The bad is we'd loose a fews days of posts, the positive is boards.ie would loose a massive amount of negative posts and it wouldn't be long before this was all forgotten. Just look at the place it like Hotel California

Last thing I remember, I was

Running for the door

I had to find the passage back

To the place I was before

"Relax, " said the night man,

"We are programmed to receive.

You can check-out any time you like,

But you can never leave! "

Why would it be. In general and especially at current situation boards.ie would have to value every account, voice and opinion.

For notifications settings go https://boards.ie/profile/preferences, once set your quoted posts will be notified to you one way or another.

"Activity" section under user profile is some sort of "f" fashion "wall" nonsense(personal opinion!) As we did some testing with @HeidiHeidi, it look like potential future feature - they might let you to specify your "friends" to have half-backed "private forum" under your profile or show off to your selected audience as half of the world does on "f" . Not functional atm to privacy respect as its viewable to ALL and everyone can spam you there almost publicly(please dont), unless you make your profile "private".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭mossie

Typing a comment on mobile, after a few seconds the "Post Comment" button fades in colour and can't be used.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,657 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

During the temporary absence of a Help Desk, I would plead with @Beasty and the other admins for leniency to those who do not meet the requirements to post in Feedback, but have genuine questions about the new site that cannot be answered anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Wow. As it is stands right now, I'm finding the site pretty much unusable and am worried for the future of boards.ie. This interface isn't fit for purpose (it took me 5 minutes to find After Hours and even then I could only see the first 20 or so posts). Unless things improve dramatically, I can see this resulting in the site losing even more posters to reddit/discord.

I'd hate to lose boards as it's been a great place to learn new things, given me hundreds (being honest, thousands) of hours of entertainment, I've made some great friends through the community and, quite honestly, the community here has gotten me through a lot over the past 18 years or so but this could be the end for me. I'll try logging in again in a week or two and see if things improve.

Whoever your account manager in Vanilla is needs a serious kick up the backside if they're not throwing bodies at all the problems right now: it looks as instead of selling you an upgraded platform, they've potentially killed the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

More than once today, I've clicked the bell icon thinking it would bring me to my subscribed threads. As someone directed me early in the thread, I have to click my icon, then click My Bookmarks and THEN I'm in my subscribed threads.

Every thread title being bolded is another frustrating feature from a UX POV. Now, I need to look on the left and check for an envelope icon. As opposed to the old bold / unbold way which was way easier for the user.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,414 ✭✭✭finbarrk

The end of it I'm thinking. It's not user friendly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,669 ✭✭✭Worztron

Thanks, smuggler.ie -- that's nice that we can now use our own images for the avatars. :)

There's still no email notifications option, however. Maybe it'll get re-implemented in time.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Jesus this site is slow.

Cheers, Wibbs. I got the change password link from smuggler.ie. :)

👍🏻

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Kudos to the devs on allowing people to upload their own avatars. 👍🏻👍🏻

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,418 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

There is, click on https://boards.ie/profile/preferences/Worztron

(obviously, the last part is the usename so it'd be different for everyone).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Re one of the above comments..I had to for privacy reasons hide my comments on my profile page as I saw anybody ie not boards members can publicably view my profile page and previous posts all in one go. I dislike doing this as I have no problem with other boards members whether they disagree or agree with me reading them but this is meant to be be a members privilage and if misused can be moderated. If this can be changed I would love to be able to show them again. I dont know what anybody else thinks about this gdpr issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,668 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Why is it a GDPR issue? I see this bandied around alot but people dont seem to understand GDPR.

I always looked at it the other way sucked on the old site that you could change your avatar, but I'd give that up for having a working site.

Just if you not aware, subscription to your followed thread did not/might not carry over and even if you post to the thread it does not auto-sub. you have to manually "bookmark" it

There does not appear to be option to sub for entire forum any more

I'm seeing lots of small fixes implemented each time I visit so its great to see work ongoing, but the navigation fixes really need to be priority. Everything else counts for nothing if we can't navigate easily to the forums/threads we follow.

I'm seeing post counts wayyyy down at the moment.

If something isn't done soon to fix the navigation, a critical mass of posters will have given up.

In other words, for every 1 poster complaining in this thread, there are probably 10 who just gave up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If there's one thing that has continued over to the new version of Boards, is the GDPR confusion and how its trotted out willy nilly.

(* words/abbreviation**

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I've signed up to the new alternative site.

If this site isn't fixed or rolled back fairly sharpish, there will be a mass exodus.

The user base here had an item that worked well enough. It's now been broken and people won't give a broken toy very long. They'll either reach for another toy like **** or they'll get up and leave.

Hope management are aware of this and suitably panicked and motivated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭mossie

The absence of any updates from Odhran, Niamh etc doesn't help people take a positive view of the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

The alternative site is a heap of shite

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

I'm afraid they just don't know how to turn that off. ;)

Regarding "upgrade" - please bin it, get vB5, but DO NOT kludge it this time.

The site is unusable even on laptop, showing no content on Firefox (just blank page), working painfully slow on Opera. Closed this thread once, couldn't find it later. Thankfully found a link in browser's history. Keep window permanently opened since.

dear diary...

On the fifth day after "Pandora's box" opening, i am coming to the conclusion that 6 days of boards.ie closure was spend trying to negotiate the code/layout adaptation to new platform, however, it failed as Irl is on metric system and CA/US are on imperial and people here and there are talking different English.

On the 7th day, data was thrown in AS IS, without verifying all got IN or part or it was censored by NSA(hm mhhh.... 😇 forgive me for this one) or wheels mismatch the cart.

As per Pandora's story, once "box" was open, all hell broke loose. Angels(admin/mod) vanished and people of this "world", abandoned, have hard time finding their way through the darkness of it. Some stronger, with hope, trying to pull others from the muck and dirt, others, in anger and frustration just gave up, move on for a better life...

There is still little light of hope in me, but as time goes by and we had not seen a single sign from angels since Fry, it gets weaker and weaker...

... where are you guys? come on, tell us there is light, show us the way... and some respect to us and self's!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,057 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I've taken to overriding the default CSS with my own, it might not be the prettiest, but I get double the amount of posts visible, uses up all the screen, dont have to look at posters post counts, join dates or status, oodles of dead space/borders/padding around quotes removed, and best of all, I have a floating breadcrumb to get me where I need to go.

30 mins work...

from this

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

It's easy to read and easy to post. Good enough for me!

@GreeBo If dont mind, post what is needed to achieve with full instruction so if boards wont do it we can(me being web design coding illiterate 😁 )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,695 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I know you mean well with the above, but its also part of the problem.

"Plead for leniency"?? I know that the previous Feedback setup was a convoluted mess more reminiscent of a HR performance management process, but it is this attitude that users are peasantry to be corralled and brow-beaten that's a big part of the issues with this site.

We could very well do with losing that sort of thing as part of this transition IMO

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement