Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,727 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Might have a look at The Descent to see if it's the proper version or the American edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭wanderer100

Just finished it ... absolutely amazing show, couldn't recommend it enough !!

Jenna Coleman was great but Tahar Rahim who plays the protagonist Charles Sobraj was next level imo.

Best show I've seen in a while, give it a watch if you're into true crime, serial killers, drama, thrillers etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Yep I agree completely, watched the full series over the last week or so and thought it was one of the best shows I've watched in Netflix in a while. It's a fascinating story which is largely true, some parts I suspected were too over the top to be accurate but surprisingly most of it is accurate. Couldn't believe I had never heard of this serial killer before.

Storyline is very interesting but the cast and the setting (mainly Thailand/South East Asia) make it really good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Botrys

Agreed about Tahar Rahim's stellar performance.

I started it last night with the gf and we were both instantly hooked so we went all the way and finished it today

superb acting and a thrilling experience throughout

A definite must watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

I'm on Episode 5 of "The Cook of Castemar". 18th century Spanish language historical drama based on the novel of the same name. The Lord Diego of Castemar is a minister in King Philip Vs government. King Philip is going mad, and Lord Diego is asked by him to take on more decision making, which takes a lot of persuasion because he has been mourning his late wife who died in a riding accident.

There are some LGBT characters, which is interesting in a century when homosexuality was a capital offence. Lord Diego is also under pressure to remarry, in some cases for political reasons by nobles who see him as politically useful to have as an ally. But the cook also has her eye on him. 18th century class politics around marriage between nobles and commoners however may prevent this going anywhere, though it's only Episode 5 but so far she keeps bringing this up.

The lives of the palace servants are a major theme of the series. Their stories are covered a bit like an early 1700s Downton Abbey or Upstairs Downstairs.

Post edited by Ozymandius2011 on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

no additions but

Unforgotten series (ITV) is only available until 08/08/2021

• Registered Users Posts: 9,905 ✭✭✭spookwoman

Let us know, both decent 1 and 2 were enjoyable. Wish they would put up Severance, another oddball uk horror.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

The Great Gatsby (2013) :Fascinated by the mysterious and affluent Jay Gatsby, his neighbor Nick Carraway bears witness to the man's obsessive love and spiral into tragedy

The Accountant (2016) :Not only is this accountant able to dig deeply into a company's books, he's also an expert assassin, and his new client can use both skills.

Blood Diamond (2006):In war-ravaged Sierra Leone, a diamond smuggler offers to reunite a local fisherman with his family in exchange for a gigantic gem he discovered

added

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The Mire:

"A sex worker and a youth leader are found dead in an early '80s Polish town. The police's management of the case makes two journalist ask questions."

Slow-burn murder mystery. Very realistic portrayal of the difficulties uncovering truth when pitted against a politically motivated system of corruption. Standard enough plot; maybe too slow for many, but the story and realism made for a pretty decent show.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,715 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

And they only have Season 2 up right now. The rest have disappeared.

Sexy Beasts (2021) Season 1:Hoping to say goodbye to superficial dating, real-life singles sport elaborate makeup and prosthetics to put true blind-date chemistry to the test

Florence Foster Jenkins (2016):An American heiress and arts patron with a passion for opera -- and a horrendous singing voice -- makes plans to perform a concert at Carnegie Hall.

Sanitation Day (2020):Two cops must contend with the uncooperative tenants of an apartment complex as they try to solve a murder before the crime scene is wiped clean

Too Hot to Handle: Brazil (2021) Season 1: Sizzling hot young Brazilians meet at a dreamy beach resort. But for a shot at R$500,000 in this fun reality show, they'll have to give up sex

Chernobyl 1986 (2021)(Russian) :After reuniting with a lost love, firefighter Alexey retires to begin a new life -- but the Chernobyl disaster suddenly plunges him back into danger

Trollhunters: Rise of the Titans (2021) :Heroes from "Trollhunters," "3Below" and "Wizards" join forces to fight a shadowy enemy threatening to take over their worlds

Added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oh, I guess that's the Russian Chernobyl production made as a rebuke to the HBO miniseries, which apparently got nationalists all ruled up - and supposedly implied sabotage of the plant (rather than institutional incompetence)

i think it concentrates on the first responders and not the causes

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Teen Titans Go To The Movies is leaving on August 8th, if anyone wants to watch the best superhero film in years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

9to5: The Story of a Movement (2021) :In this documentary, female office workers in '70s Boston inspire change with a call for better pay, more opportunities and an end to sexual harassment.

Cousins (2021) :Separated as children, three cousins with an unshakeable bond confront their painful pasts and embark on an emotional journey to find each other.

Words Bubble Up Like Soda Pop (2021)(Japanese): After meeting one bright, sunny day, a shy boy who expresses himself through haiku and a bubbly but self-conscious girl share a brief, magical summer

added

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,074 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Chernobyl 1986, seems to be a film rather than a show.

Coming to Netflix UK in August 2021

N = Netflix original

August 1st

• Ackley Bridge (Season 3) – Channel 4 drama series about the merging of two schools.
    • Chaos (2005) – Jason Statham, Ryan Philippe, and Wesley Snipes feature in this action crime drama.
    • Darwin’s Game (Season 1) – Sci-fi anime series about a high schooler activating a mysterious mobile app.
    • Gosford Park (2001) – Comedy set back in the 1930s following rich people who gather together, and a murder occurs.
    • The Hitman’s Apprentice (2012) – Comedy Thriller starring Tim Roth and Jack O’Connell.
    • I Missed You: Director’s Cut (2021) – Independent romance movie.
    • Masha and the Bear (Season 4) – Children’s musical animated series.
    • Solomon Kane (2009) – Action fantasy movie directed by M.J. Bassett
    • Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) – Johnny Depp stars in this Tim Burton movie.
    • Time and Tide (2000) – Martial arts action thriller.
    • Wild Oats (2016) – Andy Tennant directed comedy about a retired teacher who is accidentally paid millions in insurance.
    • World Trade Center (2006) – Nicholas Cage headlines this historical drama following two port authority police officers trapped beneath the rubble of the World Trade Center.
    • Young Guns II (1990) – Kiefer Sutherland stars in this Western about a cattle baron hiring a bounty hunter to kill the notorious Billy the Kid.

August 2nd

• The Mule (2018) – A Korean war veteran turns into a Mexican cartel’s mule. Starring and directed by Clint Eastwood.

August 3rd

• ’71 (2014) – British movie set in 1971 about a young British soldier stuck in the deadly streets of Belfast during the troubles.
    • Ije: The Journey (2010) – Nigerian murder mystery about a girl accused of murder in Los Angeles.
    • Pray Away (2021) N – Documentary about conversion therapy produced by Ryan Murphy.
    • Shiny_Flakes: The Teenage Drug Lord (2021) N – Documentary on the real-life individual who inspired Netflix’s How To Sell Drugs Online (Fast).
    • The Hole (2001) – Nick Hamm directs this British movie about four teenagers living at a private school while undercover.

August 4th

• Aftermath (2021) – Horror about a couple moving into their dream home but the house has a troubled history.
    • Car Masters; Rust to Riches (Season 3) N – The crew of the Gotham Garage take the scrap and rustbuckets of old cars and transform them into showstoppers.
    • Cocaine Cowboys: The Kings of Miami (Limited Series) N – Docuseries about a pair of high school dropouts becoming drug kingpins in Miami.
    • Control Z (Season 2) N – Netflix’s teen soap from Mexico continues.
    • Cooking with Paris (Season 1) N – Paris Hilton stars in her own cooking reality show.
    • Inventing David Geffen (2012) – PBS American Masters entry on the famous and powerful media mogul.

August 6th

• Hit & Run (Season 1) N – Thriller series from Israel with Fauda star Lior Raz starring.
    • Navarasa (Season 1) N – Indian anthology series.
    • The Mustang (2019) – Laure de Clermont-Tonnerre directs this drama about a rehabilitation program that involves training wild mustangs.
    • The Swarm (2020) N – French horror about a woman who breeds grasshoppers but they soon develop a taste for blood.
    • Vivo (2021) N – Animated musical feature film from Sony Animation led by Lin Manuel Miranda.

August 7th

• Paddington (2014) – Everyone’s favorite (literally, I cannot find a single person that doesn’t love these movies) bear travels to London in search of a new home.
    • Takizawa Kabuki ZERO 2020 The Movie (2021) – Japanese concert.

August 8th

• Vendetta (2013) – Danny Dyer headlines this British action thriller about a special ops officer hunting down a gang.

August 10th

• Gabby’s Dollhouse (Season 2) N – Educational children’s show.
    • Untold: Malice in the Palace (2021) N – Sports documentary about the 2004 incident between players and fans at an NBA game in Michigan.

August 11th

• Bake Squad (Season 1) N – Reality cooking competition series.
    • Asphalt Goddess / La diosa del asfalto (2020) – Spanish musical.
    • The Kissing Booth 3 (2021) N – The final installment of Netflix’s popular teen-drama trilogy will see Elle Evans make the biggest decision of her life, go to college with her boyfriend, or go to college with her best friend?

August 12th

• AlRawabi School for Girls (Season 1) N – High school series.
    • Don’t Let Go (2019) – Horror starring David Oyelowo and Storm Reid.
    • Lokillo: Nothing’s The Same (2020) – Stand-up Special.
    • Monster Hunter: Legends of the Guild (2021) N – Anime movie based on the popular Capcom video game.

August 13th

• Beckett (2021) N – John David Washington stars as Beckett, an American tourist trapped in Greece at the center of a dangerous political conspiracy on the run for his life.
    • Brand New Cherry Flavor (Season 1) N – Mystery horror about a filmmaker heading to Hollywood but gets sucked into a world of strange.
    • Fast & Furious Spy Racers (Season 5) N – Another batch of episodes of the Dreamworks series based on the huge Fast & Furious franchise.
    • Gone for Good (Limited Series) N – French crime drama based on the Harlen Coben book.
    • Valeria (Season 2) N – Spanish comedy series.

August 15th

• Downton Abbey (Seasons 1-6) – British period drama series that aired on ITV.
    • Grace: The Possession (2014) – Horror starring Alexia Fast.
    • I Give It a Year (2013) – Ensemble rom-com about a newlywed couple with friends all convinced it’s not going to last.

August 16th

• American Girl: Lea to the Rescue (2016) – Nadia Tass directs this family adventure movie about a young girl heading deep into the Brazillian rainforest.
    • Bride of Chucky (1998) – Horror comedy directed by Ronny Yu.
    • Mr. Peabody and Sherman (2014) – Dreamworks animated movie about a time-traveling canine and his adopted son.
    • The LEGO Movie 2: The Second Part (2019) – The Lego figurines are back for a delightful sequel that features the voices of Will Arnett, Chris Pratt and Elizabeth Banks.

August 17th

• Keeping Up with the Kardashians (Season 5) – Another batch of episodes where you spend time with the Kardashians. Or don’t as we’d advise.
    • The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills (Season 5) – Reality series that makes you question life itself.
    • Toot-Toot Cory Carson (Season 5) N – Kids animated series.
    • Untold: Deal with the Devil (2021) N – Sports documentary about the boxer, Christy Martin.

August 18th

• Black Island (2021) N – Polish thriller.
    • Memories of a Murderer: The Nilsen Tapes (2021) N – British documentary on Dennis Nilsen who narrates via audiotapes his horrific crimes throughout the years.
    • Out of my League / Sul più bello (2020) N – Italian rom-com.
    • The Defeated (Season 1) N – Set in 1946 Berlin, this series sees an American cop living in the city which is being engulfed by crime.
    • Diaries of an Exchange Student / Diários de Intercâmbio (2020) N – Brazillian rom-com.

August 20th

• The Chair (Season 1) N – Sandra Oh stars as Ji-Yoon Kim, the Chair of an English department at a prestigious university.
    • The Loud House Movie (2021) N – Animated comedy movie sequel to the popular Nickelodeon series.
    • Sweet Girl (2021) N – Action-thriller starring Jason Mamoa as a vengeful widower who has vowed to take his revenge upon those responsible for the death of his wife, while also trying to protect his daughter.

August 25th

• Post Mortem: No One Dies in Skarnes (Season 1) N – Norwegian Supernatural drama

August 27th

• He’s All That (2021) N – Genderswap reboot of the beloved 90s teen-comed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I see S2 of Warrior Nun is due to start filming next month, which probably means it won't be out until next summer~ish time, meaning 2 years between seasons. Will probably have to do a re-watch before then.

Hmm, forgot He's All that was going to be a thing. Might just go back to forgetting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

I just noticed that The Sweetest Thing (2002) is on Netflix. The reviews are terrible, and they're partly right: it's a trashy movie with little redeeming value, part romcom and part shock comedy, with some scenes that will burn themselves in to the memory whether you like it or not. Cameron Diaz and Christina Applegate star with Selma Blair, all spending major portions of the movie in bad underwear. I have no idea how it got made, but I'm still glad it did: the makers of Bridesmaids must have been watching.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Kingdom: Ashin of the North (2021)(Korean): Tragedy, betrayal and a mysterious discovery fuel a woman's vengeance for the loss of her tribe and family in this special episode of "Kingdom.

The Movies That Made Us Season 2:These blockbusters brought us together and gave us the time of our lives. Meet the actors, directors and industry insiders who made them happen

Masters of the Universe: Revelation Season 1 (2021) :After a calamitous battle fractures Eternia, Teela and an unlikely alliance must prevent the end of the Universe in this sequel to the '80s classic

Revelations: The Masters of the Universe: Revelation Aftershow Season 1(2021) : Take a behind-the-scenes look at "Masters of the Universe: Revelation" as showrunner Kevin Smith and others interview the cast about their iconic roles.

Sky Rojo (2021) 2 Seasons (European Spanish) A fatal turn of events at a brothel sends three women haunted by their pasts on a wild run from their pimp and his henchmen

Blood Red Sky (2021) (German) :When a group of terrorists hijacks an overnight transatlantic flight, a mysteriously ill woman must unleash a monstrous secret to protect her young son

Bankrolled (2021) (Spanish): Two directionless millennial bros get high and pitch a bold new social justice app that raises millions. Then they have to come up with the app

A Second Chance: Rivals!:Crushed when she doesn't qualify for the Olympics, a now-grown Maddy Cornell finds new purpose coaching young gymnasts going up against a rival team

African America (2021) : A disgruntled South African woman leaves her fiancé and embezzles money from her job to pursue her dream of being a Broadway star in New York City.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

'71 was previously on Amazon Prime - a very strong film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,724 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

'71 is a film I've been meaning to watch for flippin' ages. Must get around to it, finally.

Masters of the Universe, Kingdom and Movies That Made Us. Busy weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

• Registered Users Posts: 31,749 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Watched blood red sky..i love anything set on a plane..especially since it's been so long since I have been on one :(

Its kind of what I was expecting I wouldn't watch trailer before....enjoyable enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭smillingsam

I watched Midsommar the other night, that was a strange film

Advertisement