Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dream big, work hard, achieve your goals - My DCM '19 Journey

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Mon 14th & 21st June - W/U, 10*400, C/D

The 14th was a run before work, cooler than yesterday but nice to run in. Ran these at the lower end of the pace after getting a bollocking for running an extra 3miles yesterday:eek::p

The 21st was after work, weather was gorgeous!

Tues 15th & 22nd - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, 800rec, 5*30 sec surges, C/D

15th ran this at lunchtime, wore a tshirt, what a mistake!! I was sweating, it was so humid, ended up rolling the sleeves up - really needed some air:eek: The sun came out & was shining but there was quite a strong breeze, really enjoyable run.
    22nd Another sunny lunch run. Was enjoying this till some d!@khead beeped at me crossing the Lidl carpark:mad: There was a van coming out & 2 cars behind so one car was edging out to the left of the van, plenty of time for me to run across, as I ran he beeped & bloody held his hand on it! Shouted something about w@nker runners & I was livid, turned back & proceeded to give my senses & called him every profanity I could think of(& as pointed out by someone on here who shall remain anonymous being from Tallaght it was a lot of profanities:D) Anyway he drove off & I quite angrily continued my run, but thankfully it didn't last too long & I enjoyed the rest of it:pac:

Weds 16th & 23rd- W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, 800rec(walk 20secs, jog, walk 20secs)C/D

16th - Nothing much to note, nice run.
    23rd - Thankfully avoided any rain but it was so muggy out, absolutely sweating for this run! Dropped my Daughter & Grandson home, she lives quite close to TAC stadium & I knew the graded meet was on so headed down to catch the last few races. Was nice to be able to watch it. Scotindublin was running in the last 3000m race. Really enjoyed watching this, he looked comfortable from the start. The last lap was great, a bit of competition for him but he won it not a bother! He spotted me so popped over for a quick chat! Well done again C, great race in those muggy conditions:D

Thurs 17th & 24th - W/U, 15*200's, CD

17th - rest day
    24th - Lunchtime run. Very muggy out but a good session. Went onto my Strava to see Sonia O'Sullivan had given me a Kudos:cool: Obviously checking out the competition :p:D

Friday 18th & 25th Wu, 6*1k, Cd - W/U, 4*2k@142/46bpm, 800rec,C/D

18th - Mental few weeks in work, got this done later than expected.
    25th - A lot cooler today & no sunshine at all. Tried out my Asics Metaspeed Edge again, wasn't sure the 1st time but wanted another run to be sure, These are not for me so are being returned.

Sat 19th & 26th - wu, 15*200's, cd

19th - Wasn't feeling this run at all, think it was just work etc catching up with me! Took a few reps to get into it but got it done!
    26th - Rest day

Sun 20th & 27th -Wu, Mod endurance 10k run, cd - W/U, Easy 18k endurance run with 1min surges after 7mins C/D

20th - Went to Corkagh Park for this, gorgeous morning. Really enjoyable run.
    27th - Headed out to the Phoenix Park for this early. Was fairly quiet which was nice. Love all the runners that smile, wave shout good morning - always makes me smile! Don't like the ones that look at me I smile/wave & then nothing:rolleyes: This run was the one I fooked up 2 weeks ago so was really happy with how it went, didn't even program it into my watch:eek: Was nice not to have the watch beeping at me to slow down or speed up!

Feeling really good & enjoying the long runs back in my training. Happy to say I'm enjoying my running, really helps me with stress, life etc & gives me the head space I need! Long may it continue:)

Last Week - 47.8 Miles
    This week - 51.3 Miles
    1,161.6 miles for the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭scotindublin

Thanks again for coming out on Wednesday and great to have a quick chat afterwards.

C

Mon 28th June - W/U, 10*400, C/D

Lunchtime run, the weather was gorgeous, felt good on this run.

Tues 29th - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, 800rec, 5*30 sec surges, C/D

This run was after work on my usual route, again a nice run.

Weds 30th - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, 800rec, C/D

Decided to head out to the PP for this after work. Such a beautiful evening there. I could see the difference in the paces for this run for the same HR compared to my usual route but was really nice to have a change of scenery. A lot of people out & about which was lovely to see.

Thurs 1st July- W/U, 15*200's, CD

Another gorgeous evening for a run, I really love this weather. Enjoyed these 200's & felt really strong for the whole thing.

Friday 2nd - Wu, 6*1k, Cd - W/U

My new runners arrived, the NB Fuelcell RC Elite v2. I had sent the Asics back & researched a few different pairs to use as my marathon shoe. Tried these on & they were very comfy straight away. I decided to run in them that day. They felt great immediately, my warm up felt very easy, enjoyed then pushing on the pace, the runner responded well, could feel the carbon plate pushing me on. I am very happy with them & love the colour too, will look forward to wearing them again:D

Sat 3rd - Rest Day

Sun 4th -Wu, Mod endurance 10k run, cd

Had a bit of a bad night sleep wise, wasn't feeling great for this. Got up early enough & just set off, actually enjoyed it more than I thought I would but not my usual bouncy self(guess that's bound to happen sometimes;) ) Tried to keep the 7min paces at about 140hr and the surges at half marathon effort. It's great having it broken down like this as it feels like the run goes by so quickly.

Today a group of 9 lads decided to run 10k each with a 10kg vest on in a relay kind of race. It was all for a campaign called Get Evan Home. It was for a friend of ours & a girl who is so loved in the community, her 21 year old son had a freak accident last year cycling on his bike, hit a lamppost & ended up paralyzed. He has been in hospital & rehabilitation since then but he so badly wanted to get home. So this was organised to help get the house adapted for him. His granddad (Gary from Tallaght athletics) ran the last 10k with a few friends also from the club. It was such an emotional thing to watch, to see Gary running to the finish line with the vest on for the love of his grandson. There wasn't a dry eye in the place, I was an emotional wreck. It's just so beautiful what people can do when they come together in times of crisis. Just over €36,000 raised so far but donations are still coming in. Hopefully it won't be too long till Evan is back home where he belongs:)

This week -47.4 Miles
    1,209 miles for the year so far.

Mon 5th July - Rest Day

Tues 6th - W/U, 4*400,6*200, C/D

I got absolutely soaked the skin on this run, thankfully it was warm rain & I actually enjoyed it😊

Weds 7th - W/U, 4*1K, C/D

Very humid out, I was sweating for this run - almost wished for the rain again!

Thurs 8th - W/U, 4*400, 6*200, C/D

Another muggy evening but a really enjoyable run.

Fri 9th - W/U, 4*1K, C/D

Nice run after work

Sat 10th - Rest day

Sun 11th - 10k Fast endurance run

Headed out to the PP to park & run a route I had ran twice before with S. Set off feeling quite confident with myself(if you don't know by now I am sh!t with directions & remembering places/routes) The 1st bit of the route was along the canal, said hello to anyone going by & got lots of hellos, smiles & waves back! Everything was going well but as I was running I doubted myself & thought I should have turned at the last estate so I turned back. Was in the estate & knew nothing at all looked familiar so followed the route around to an opening which basically left me where I started👀 kept going & then it started looking familiar again. Happy with myself at the end of it that I only took one wrong turn!

Manchester Marathon Week 1

Mon 12th - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, 800rec, C/D

Day 1 of my marathon training, really excited about this😁 really hoping all goes ahead but who knows! All I know right now is that it feels amazing to have a race to do at the end of my training block! Everything is booked, I started off going on my own & now my 3 daughters, 2 of their boyfriends & my grandson are coming to support me, absolutely chuffed🤗

Tues 13th - W/U, 15*200's , C/D

Ran this after a really stressful day in work, love doing the faster stuff to shake off the stress!

Weds 14th - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, 5*30sec strides, C/D

Decided to head out early for this as I knew work was going to be hectic again, really glad i did.

Thurs 15th - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, 800rec, C/D

Woke up earlier than expected so decided to do this early again.

Fri 16th - W/U, 10*400's, CD

Another early morning run, beautiful morning out there.

Sat 17th - Rest Day

Sun 18th - Easy Endurance run - 20K

As yesterday was such a scorcher I decided I would need to get this done early. Set off & ran the route I used to do for my DCM 19 training but decided to head down onto the Grand Canal way. It was so nice running along the canal, all the beautiful wild flowers & the sun glistening off the water. Happy to have the long runs back, will have to find some nice places to run them!

This week -53.4 Miles

1,296.6 miles for the year so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

"Everything is booked, I started off going on my own & now my 3 daughters, 2 of their boyfriends & my grandson are coming to support me, absolutely chuffed🤗"

So your family is the reason for the sudden jump in airline prices 🤣 🤣

Will give you a serious boost having all them there to cheer you on

• Advertisement

Haha tell me about it! 4 of us originally got the flights for less than 80 each then the other 3 booked after & paid 115 each🙄😂

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Happy to have the long runs back, will have to find some nice places to run them!

I've mentioned it before, but look up Kiltipper Park. It's the most beautiful spot. Depending on the length of the run you could do a loop of that and then dip down behind the nursing home across to the Reservoirs. Kiltipper Park isn't officially open so it looks a bit uninviting at the entrance, but its well used by walkers with and without dogs, cyclists, runners etc so it's nicely busy.

Would you believe I was going to run up to the Reservoirs on Sunday but my dad kept saying oh its very isolated for a woman on her own running up there that early so I just didn't bother🙄🤣 Will look up Kiltipper park & see if I can piece together a decent route! Cheers🤗

Yeah I'm forever being told the same. If I go to the Reservoir (which I haven't done in quite a while to be fair) I leave it until late morning. It always seems to be a jogger in the early hours of the morning that finds things! 😂. But I've never been up to the reservoir and felt isolated. It's absolutely worth a journey.

The youngest had a match in Killinarden last week and I found a route through one of the new estates out on to the Kiltipper Road, of that makes any difference to your journey?

Haha yep the poor early morning joggers & dog walkers😜 Any new routes at all would be appreciated!

• Advertisement

Manchester Marathon Week 2

Mon 19th - Rest

Tues 20th - W/U, 8*400's , C/D

Set off for this run before work. It was a gorgeous morning & this little session was nice, nothing too strenuous.

Weds 21st AM - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm C/D

So this was my 1st ever double day😁 And of course it was to be one of the hottest days of the year🥵 Up & out early for this run. The 1k reps felt good, based on the HR the paces were in or around what they usually are on this route even though it was starting to get really hot out! Enjoyed the reps in the shade but was in the sun for most of the Katherine Tynan Road! Felt so sweaty, was wondering how the fook I was gonna do my session later as it got hotter!!

PM - W/U, 15*200, C/D

I needed to get this done nearly straight after work & the sun was splitting the sky. I decided to head over to Corkagh Park for this session, also decided to wear the lightest shorts I had & a crop sports top as I had felt so warm earlier! Set off on my wu & I was already sweating a few mins in it, the 15*200's didn't feel very appealing to me at this stage... I ran down towards the playground where the path was very smooth & even. Set off on my 1st rep & felt good, I always seem to kick in well to the more speedy stuff. Did the reps up & down this path, people looking at me as if I was crazy speeding past in that heat whilst sweating a lot - not a pretty sight😂 The GPS was bad on some of the reps & I know it's generally not great on shorter reps but I felt the efforts were correct.

Wasn't really too sure what to expect running a double day, but wasn't half as bad as I was expecting at all. These will be every 2nd week on my plan so just need to make sure time wise I plan them correctly & the days around them too.

Thurs 22th - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, 800rec, 5*strides, C/D

Left this till after work with the double yesterday. Jaysus I thought yesterday was warm😮I was practically melting away from the very start! Got going into my 1st rep & all felt good. Got into a nice rhythm, the wind was picking up but I appreciated it as it was a little bit cooling, this was short lived as I turned onto the KT road the sun was in full beam! I was absolutely soaked with sweat yet again. So with the increasing heat I also felt that my legs were starting to feel heavy. The last rep was tougher than it has been in a long time😫Wasn't bad enough to want to stop, just a feeling I haven't really felt in a while, I was beginning to dread the 30sec surges, wondering how i'd do them? I had expected to have heavy legs & I do think the heat also played a factor in it. The watch started ticking down for the 1st surge, very happily I was able to pick up the pace & do this, 2nd, 3rd ,4th & 5th one all went well - it's funny how my legs do respond to the faster stuff when I need them too😀 Got going into the CD & there it was, the heavy legs were back & my lips were so bloody dry! All I could think about was my freezing cold bottle of Lucozade waiting for me in the fridge... or was it🤬 Nope someone had taken the last bottle, to say I was devastated was an understatement 😞

Fri 23rd - W/U, 10*400's, CD

Another early morning run, beautiful morning out there but absolutely no air! The legs still felt a little heavy but once I got going into the reps it wasn't too bad.

Went to Portmarnock beach for the day with my 2 daughters, son & grandson - it was his 1st time at the beach. It was a beautiful day, everyone had a great time, really enjoyed the relaxation of lying in the sun doing nothing after the last few days of running!

Sat 24th - Rest Day

Sun 25th - Moderate Endurance run - 10K - 7mins then 1min surges @7:10/15

The boards run/meet was cancelled but I had planned on heading into the park anyway. Decided when I got there to do the route I did down the Royal Canal etc, the one I took a detour on a couple of weeks ago👀This time all seemed to be going well, running by the canal was beautiful as always. Remembered where I took the detour last time so was happy to not make that mistake this time! Running the min surge I realised that I did not remember ever coming this way so I turned back & turned down an estate I was convinced I had run down before... nope defo never seen this either so I kept following the road around thinking it would bring me back out to a main road but unfortunately it brought me to a dead end🙄Seriously not again! I found my way out (surprisingly) & realised it was the traffic lights at the estate before so off I went, tail between my legs. The rest of the run was quite uneventful but really nice & the legs felt good. Happy with another weeks training done.

This week -46.2 Miles

1,342.8 miles for the year so far

Post edited by Laineyfrecks on

Manchester Marathon Week 3

Mon 26th - W/U, 10*400's C/D

Off work for the day so ended up cleaning, cooking, food shopping – all the boring stuff associated with being an adult! Was planning on doing this earlier but the day just got away with me. Set off on my W/U & it was still very warm out. As usual I set off too fast for the 1st rep, slowed it down & ran the required pace. Happy with these, enjoyed the bit of speed to start the week off.

Tues 27th - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, 800rec, C/D

Was in the office today, the section I work in is being disbanded the end of this week & things are just manic right now trying to get projects handed over & just all the loose ends tied up. I will start in a new section mid-August, looking forward to the time off 1st then will get stuck into it.

The day had felt very humid whilst in work, got home & changed & it was lashing out! Set off & was soaked straightaway. The W/U felt sluggish, kicked into the 1k reps & my pace for the HR was slower than usual. The wind was howling in my face & the rain lashing down, didn’t feel like I was in my usual rhythm, usually feel strong for the 1st one but honestly wasn’t feeling this. As the run went on the reps actually felt better but I didn’t, feeling very meh in general. I was now soaked to the skin & could feel my shorts rubbing against my inner thighs – not a nice feeling! Then I could feel the HR monitor also rubbing against my skin & it was starting to sting. I have had terrible chaffing from the HR monitor & sports bras recently, no matter what I put on it doesn’t seem to help! It’s probably just not getting enough time to heal as I run with it on every day! Anyway enough moaning but it is safe to say I did NOT enjoy this run. 

Weds 28th - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, 5*strides, C/D

My plans changed for this run as my daughter needed a lift to the pictures(1st time for my grandson to go) I dropped them off with my other daughter & son & off they went. I set off from the carpark & ran around Clondalkin/Lucan. This felt good even though it was raining everything about it felt a lot better than the previous day. The 1k reps were good, felt strong doing them. Found a little park to head into for the strides, a little loop was very handy to do these! Happy with this run & went back to meet a happy bunch after the pics.

Thurs 29th - W/U, 15*200’s, C/D

With work being so hectic I had to head into the office, stuff needed to be cleared out as I will be in a new section when I come back after my holidays. My 2nd Vaccination was scheduled for later today so I would be finishing work just after 2. I went for this run before work, this is one of my favs so it wasn’t any hassle getting it done early.

Fri 30th - W/U, 6*1k@145/50bpm, C/D

Thankfully I had no side effects from the jab! So that’s me fully vaccinated!! Again decided to get this done early as I had a good few bits to sort later for heading to Cork tomorrow. The 1st 1k rep felt a lot slower paced for the usual HR zone. Stuck with it but was wondering if my HR monitor was reading correctly. The next one seemed grand but then another 1 or 2 felt slower so I put it down to maybe the jab – either way I wasn’t too worried about it, was just really happy I didn’t have to miss a run 😊

Sat 31st - Rest Day (on my holibops in Cork)

Sun 1st Aug- Easy Endurance run with surges - 25K

Woke up early for this run as we were heading to Fota island at midday. A fellow boardsie from Cork gave me a simple enough route to follow… Thought I would add in a bit of a scenic route to the start & then continue with the route I had been given(I defo did not get lost 👀) Once I got going on the route it was straight forward enough, passed by so many friendly runners & walkers. I love running in new places, looking at everything as I pass by. Running along the water is lovely too, always feels so peaceful. The miles flew by, always enjoy the min surges in here because you are then on the countdown for the next one so it makes the run feel more interesting. The route given to me was an out & back so as not to confuse me too much, turned around & headed back to my hotel. Passed by a lot more runners on my way back including Treviso who didn’t realise it was me until I had passed by him – so it turns out almost everyone in Cork is friendly😜 Finished off the route at the hotel & went in to get showered & have some brekkie.

Had an amazing day at Fota with my grandson & the gang, the innocence of a young child is magical, he is so animated when he sees animals & being on a train, I just love being with him making me smile & my heart burst😍  

This week -54.4 Miles

Manchester Marathon Week 4

Mon 2nd – W/U, 10*400’s, C/D

Left this till I got home from Cork as I had a few drinks last night & decided to have a lie on till 9 as I had clocked over 45,000 steps from my run & Fota so my legs were feeling a bit tired! The journey home actually felt quite quick & we were home a good bit earlier than we expected so I just dropped in my case got changed & set off. Had done my 1st rep & was happy my legs didn’t feel like I was expecting them too. Was doing my recovery bit when another runner (a man) came across the road & said hi, how are you? How’s the baby? Totally lost I said I haven’t just had a baby & he said I’m so sorry I thought you were someone else. He then asked me how many miles I was doing etc? So I explained to him then he just started chatting, saying he was injured after doing marathons & ultra’s over the years (now in his 60’s) & said he can only do 4 miles which he usually does on this route so asked me if it was ok if he ran with me. I really didn’t have the heart to say no, I knew he would be heading off towards home shortly so I could then continue my reps, he was so happy with the bit of company. Turns out he ran with the 3 men who originally got me into running all them years ago! I think he just enjoyed passing on his little nuggets of knowledge & experience & I enjoyed listening! We said goodbye & he said hopefully we could run together again, bless him. I set off then into the rest of my 400 reps & as I said earlier was very happy that my legs felt good on this!

God where do I start...

I lost my beloved da on Saturday night. I found him collapsed & just couldn't save him💔 The pain is indescribable, my heart is truly broken. We have him home now to say our final goodbyes.

My da was so so proud of his crazy daughter always out running, one of my biggest fans🤗 He'd say to me did you run today? Yeah I did da, But it's raining Elaine, Da it always rains in Ireland 😂 You're mad he'd say...

Right now I'm numb, Running, Writing & Music is my solace right now & is helping me, who knows if it will continue but all I can think of is the here & now. I would like to run Manchester marathon in his honour but again we will see.

RIP da 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

So sorry for your loss Elaine.

Oh Lainey, I am so sorry for your loss. Look after yourself ❤️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Ah god, so sorry to read this. RIP

Mind yourself, one day at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Oh I'm desperately sorry for your loss. Sincere and heartfelt condolences.

Mind yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mister paul

So saddened to hear this. RIP.

Look after yourself.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Ah no. Sorry for your loss, Elaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,299 ✭✭✭ariana`

Again, so very sorry for your loss Elaine. Mind yourself and mind each other at this time and for the times ahead x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭py

Sorry to hear about your loss Lainey. Hope you and family are doing ok. Look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Sorry for your loss E. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,625 ✭✭✭ThebitterLemon

That’s terrible, sounds like you’d a great relationship with your Da

cherish the memories

condolences

TbL

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

My deepest condolences on your loss Elaine, mind yourself xx

Thank you all for the lovely messages. I loved my da dearly, my heart is truly broken but he got the send off he deserved yesterday, he will never walk alone❤

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

Sorry for your loss. May your Dad Rest in Peace. Look after yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Desperate news. So sorry Elaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Terrible news - so sorry for your loss.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Unknownability

Elaine I'm so sorry to hear about the passing of your dad, may he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,396 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Was at a funeral only about 3 weeks ago. Not related to me, but the loss was written across people's faces, taken well before his time. May your Dad rest in peace.

Advertisement