Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you be happy for your children to receive covid-19 vaccine

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,975 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

That's not true anybody who says that vaccines are 100 percent safe isn't looking at the science, we've had narcolepsy destroying lives of your people due to the swine flu vaccine. We've had blood clots causing long term damage and deaths with the AZ vaccine and possible heart inflammation in Israel due to Pfizer vaccine.

All vaccines come with a risk it could be 1 in 300 million or it could be 1 in 30000 but it's still a risk. It could be a minor side affect or life changing. The question is the risk if the illness gather than the risk of the vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭revelman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭323

Thanks, but your previous clarification mentioned, yet again saying these vaccines are approved, when in actual fact they are not.

Yes, they are being "fast-tracked" and monitored within the conditional marketing authorisation process. Last I checked only Pfizer has applied for actual approval as yet (early May), which may be given around the end of 2022.

Should details like this not be transparent to parents? Particularly when deciding whether to have their children receive one of these vaccines. When we now know, statistically a teenager has more chance of dying from a lightning strike than this virus.

“Follow the trend lines, not the headlines,”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Nope not a chance our children will be getting it, as the science has always said the virus its very low low risk to children.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

You might not be saying that if you were 84, or 83, or if you'd loved ones around that age. 🙄

• Advertisement

Weird logic. He was "right" in one case about one poor individual. Every vaccine has side effects. Every medicine has side effects. Everything we ingest has side effects. The bag of peanuts I knock back might kill someone with a severe nut allergy. Y'know the way old people have this little crater on their arm, and young people don't? It's cos we wiped out smallpox to such an extent, with vaccines, that we don't need to vaccinate for it anymore.

As to vaccinating kids - I'm not an epidemiologist, but the logic of getting as many adults as possible vaccinated, worldwide, before moving on to children, who seem to get much milder symptoms, would seem to be sound.

Edit: reposted below to include quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,025 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

@Deeec wrote

Personally I dont think pregnant women should be given the vaccine either.

Just out of interest would you take the vaccine if you were pregnant?

I would follow the advice of my GP, which would probably be to get vaccinated, since the immunity is passed from mother to baby, and Covid is particularly nasty for newborns (compared to other ages).

What are your sources for concern, specifically?

Issues relating the Pandemrix vaccine were detected within 1-2 months of a far less widespread vaccination programme.

No link has been found between HPV vaccine and any serious adverse effects.

If I were to find myself pregnant I would have far more pressing questions than should I take a proven safe and effective vaccine

Reposted to include quote.

@JDxtra "We can't get to the point where we are doing things purely to prevent something which may or may not happen".

If we're not trying to prevent something, then why are we vaccinating anyone, at all?

Let's deal with the variants as and when they arise.

By that stage, it could be too late. How would you feel if the next variant that emerges is one that kills children and teens as quickly and easily as the elderly?

Prevention is better than cure.

Anyone that doesn't have a medical reason not to be vaccinated, should be vaccinated.

In the end, the decision may have to be taken out of individual's hands, for the sake of all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

You are referring to the USA's emergency authorisation scheme. This is Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭Deeec

I dont think it is a good idea giving a vacinne to a mother when a baby is forming and growing in her womb. We do not how the vaccine could affect a baby. In the 60's mothers experiencing morning sickness was prescribed thalydomide and many gave birth to babies with deformities - Im sure they were also told it was safe. How anyone can say this vaccine is proven as safe is beyond me.

If I was pregnant I would prefer to minimise my contacts with other people and stay at home rather than take the vaccine during pregnancy.

The whole system of drug approval was developed largely because of thalidomide and a couple of similar issues. It is not 1960 anymore. But by all means completely misrepresent the risk.

How are the vaccines proven as safe? They havent been around long enough to be proven safe. They were rushed through trials and we had the pharma companies competing to be the first to come up with a vaccine - which isnt a good combination.

If the vaccine are proven safe then why havent they been approved for children?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,624 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

No chance

I got the vaccine , it was my choice but not a choice i'm willing to make for my children when we have been repeatedly told they are not at risk fro Covid ,

They weren't rushed through trials. Trials were completed quickly due to the large number of available test subjects because of the prevalence of the virus. The end point of a phase III clinical trial for a vaccine is not a time point but the reaching of a required level of exposure in the trial population. This is when an overall rate of cases within the trial group is reached. The rates of virus in the placebo and vaccine cohorts are then compared to establish efficacy. They have not been approved for children as the initial trials focused on adult age groups. When the data is available to support approval in children it will happen.

And as a matter of fact, most of the development work was completed for MERS and SARS but they ran out of test subjects due to the low virus prevalence. When SARS-CoV2 came along they had a significant head start.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,624 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The problem with anti-vaxxers are that they search for any story in the millions of people to base there stance on stories of 1 or 2 in millions ,

Iv a friend who can't have protein in there diet or they would end up brain damaged its called PKU 1 -in 20 thousand suffer from it but yet nobody is running scared of protein are they ,

As a society we can't liver our life's on the bases of 1 or 2 in a million ,

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

I'm glad to see so many people here using their common sense and not being willing to get their kids vaccinated. It's extremely unethical to subject children to a vaccine that is more dangerous to them than the virus it supposedly protects against. According to the CDCs own stats, a million adolescent vaccinations will stop one death from covid but cause 50-69 cases of myocarditis (way above the normal expected rate), which is no joke. interestingly they don't go in to how many of those can expect to die within 5/10 years as a result (its something like 20%) and many more could need a transplant. They are downplaying the risk big-time. Considering their own data (attached) shows the numbers are much higher.

How selfish that some adults are trying to push this on kids to make themselves feel safer

The risks of the vaccine in children are likely to be significantly lower than the risk of covid, even if it is low. Getting the vaccine is the simplest way for children to train their immune system to deal with this virus should they catch it when older and at greater risk. The other way is to actually catch the virus, and as low as the risks to children are, the rate of adverse events will be higher with the virus than with the vaccine. If it not, it wont be approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

No vaccine is 100% safe, but also

Driving a car is not 100% safe

Crossing a road is not 100% safe

Walking down a stairs is not 100%

Climbing a ladder is not 100% safe

We do these things daily without a thought because our experience tells us that with reasonable care, all these things are relatively safe.

Due to the amount of attention on Covid vaccines, immunologists have taken extreme care to test them as much as possible. So for me (if I had kids under 18), once the vaccine is approved, I'd have no issue whatsoever

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭sekiro

Eh, didn't some countries, like Denmark, stop giving people the AZ vaccine and when they started back only give it to specific age groups?

Must be some reason why they did that with that unequivocally and undeniably safe vaccine.

What's the Danish agenda there?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,765 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So tell me how I managed to take Vioxx for a few years, before I was withdrawn from the market for being dangerous?

Exactly you say yourself trials were completed quickly so how does this prove that the vaccine wont harm an unborn baby or a growing child. How do they know that a child born now wont have issues 2 years down the line due to the fact that their mother received the vaccine while pregnant - truth is they dont know!

Im not an anti vaxxer - all my kids got all their vaccines but all their vaccines went through rigorous trials and were years in existance at that stage. I just dont think its worth the risk giving it to kids at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Multipass

The exact same can be said of Covid, extremely rare stories of kids getting sick are being used to push the vaccine.

An over-abundance of caution, when other alternative vaccines were available. The vaccines are safe; one had a slightly elevated risk of blood clotting, I understand - less than the risk of blood clotting that arises from other conditions, such as, e.g., pregnancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 ms_wobbly

I am not anti vax, all my children are fully vaccinated, but there is no way I will be giving any of them the COVID vaccine

Have you come across anyone with long COVID?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Why would I be happy for them not to receive a Covid vaccine? Are scientists confident that Covid is safe for a child to get?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭sekiro

Would it be wrong to take an "over-abundance of caution" approach to vaccinating children then?

I guess I am having trouble squaring the fact that the Danish government halted the use of AZ for some reason and the idea that people who are cautious about vaccinating their kids are delusional or whatever.

I mean, they didn't halt it for nothing and the Danish government probably aren't conspiracy nutjobs so there's obviously a reason to be cautious.

Hey were just going to halt this vaccine program for a bit here, just because, but you should definitely inject it into your kids, no probs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

"Push the vaccine" - note the language being used. You might be happy for your kids (if you have any) to get Covid with unknown short and long-term effects on their health, I'm going to wait and see what the science says - there's a reason kids these days aren't dying of smallpox or being crippled by polio, and it's due to the success of previous childhood innoculations.

Advertisement