Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Welcome to the new Boards.ie platform - Version 1.0 :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,665 ✭✭✭Worztron

Hi NH. Yes, thanks, I found it in the meantime, it was not too obvious. I think just 'https://boards.ie/profile/preferences' works also. :)

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

What happend to my threads button, it was handy. Lads ye went backwards rather than forwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,631 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

All I did was respond with respect to @Beasty as he had previously reminded people of the requirements to post in Feedback. I took a guess that he may not have considered that users who do not meet the requirements presently have nowhere else to go with their problems. Look at the optics here. I'm a mod and he's an admin. Anything other than cordial language in public forums as a subservient mod would be unparliamentary!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Still no update from Boards Staff today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,653 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Beasty is, as far as I'm aware, not a member of Boards staff and even if he is, respect is earned!

Absolutely should ALL posters be civil to ALL other users of this site, but my point stands - there is a definite "tone" to the moderation on this site and view of the users that we could do without.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭speckle

Posting here is not on a completely public forum but joining up to a (semi)private forum/business... The difference between standing on a box in the middle of town and shouting versus going somewhere to talk with friends and foes 😆 indoors at a meeting where we all sign in and there are at least guiding principles/rules which you sign up to at the start.

Yes some comments make it out into the public domain but an entire transcript of the meeting and all previous meetings going back years doesnt normally unless decided/voted on in advance..but your profile like your address/email etc is not normally given out to the public along with absolutely everything you have ever said/written in one go. etc.

Most sites eg fakebk allow limiited public access to posts.. to see them all you have to join up and even then you personally choose how public within that setting your profile is and postings are.

What was most annoying in the changeover was the default public setting on your profile page rather than

a)it should have been private as a default and then you choose

or

b) a notice posted when you log on to the new site for the first time telling you of the change from the older site allowing you then to choose.

The site before the changeover allowed the public to see a basic profile/no email and a couple of recent posts not years worth of anyones ramblings! But most importantly regarding gdpr your email?The changes re showing more of the actual posting may possibly or not come under section 6 of the gdpr if I remember correctly but good business customer care practise would have been at least an eyes up before changing.

Anyhow it has been brought up now and people can decide for themselves to make their profile private or not as there is no in between option...yet?

GDPR is about data protection especially but not limited to identifying/personal data whether a once off or the possiblility of identifying some one from aggreate information like posts. It also explains the business/organisations/data controllers duty of care to the data one holds/controls etc.

Some people choose what to post depending on the above..since the boards changeover the profile page and the contents within became more public so I choose for my profile to become less public. before the change if one wanted you could put previous or older posts in folders in your profile page or allow just a tegistered user see them in an aggrated form.Yes a non signed up person could still search individually a post but they were not all handed on a plate in one go to anononymous member of the general public ( insert cake emoji😊)

It would have been nice to have a heads up on the enhanced general public access nature of our profile pages.

ps..Maybe boards could clarify what is exactly public on your profile page as only one option on edit. Maybe that would put minds at ease especially re email and maybe bring back folders for old posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭Damien360

Just on the last 2 comments from Kaiser and Speckle. What is viewable? I click on Kaiser and see pretty much what I saw in old boards….no email address. But on Speckles it’s a permission problem as user is private !

what is the difference as a user for each of those settings. Can anyone view users email address and I am guessing opening the site to data scrapping for this purpose?

As a test, I signed out. Both my profile and Kaisers is same as if I was signed in. No email address. Speckles remains as private. Do we all need to be “private “. Would stop the trawling for old posts thing that used to happen.

apologies to Kaiser and Speckles but you were 2 closest to hand in the discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

If you are private then no one can send you a PM as I understand it?

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement

But more to it than that. Click on speckle’s profile picture

I realise that but for anyone that wants to be part of the community probably wants to get PMs?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Was tested and i can receive PM with private set profile

yes some clarity would be nice..I would like registered users to be able to see my posts but not the general public read all of them on my profile page.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,871 ✭✭✭thesandeman

This post and the one above from @HeidiHeidi weren't here earlier. They only appeared when I spotted in Notifications that she had mentioned me.

everyone got it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭archfi

An hours downtime from 6pm tomorrow to allow the dev to bring My Forums back. (Banner this thread)

Hurrah!

PS Navigation guys, navigation.

The issue is never the issue; the issue is always the revolution.

The Entryism process: 1) Demand access; 2) Demand accommodation; 3) Demand a seat at the table; 4) Demand to run the table; 5) Demand to run the institution; 6) Run the institution to produce more activists and policy until they run it into the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Azatadine

Think it's time to cut them some slack. They are trying to address the issues.

No, not when the communication has been so bad. But it doesn't matter what is said, it will all be forgotten in a few months time if it works out.

• Advertisement

...one of those would be if this global notification would come to your "notifications" or PM .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭Pelvis Parsley

Brace yourselves-this will probably take a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

If only this were reddit so I could gild this comment.

I was going to say no. Obviously the staff don't know how their new system works yet because I got no notification and had to go looking despite being signed up for all notifications - thanks for the heads up.

How often do people check their own profile page?

It appeared on every thread header (scroll up the page , i know) or under your profile, no PM, no notification

• Registered Users Posts: 28,653 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

But it's all being done under very poor communication and visibility, with no evidence of understanding or prioritising what the users are struggling with.

It seems (and I say seems, as I'm willing to be proven wrong!) that thing are being tackled in a haphazard manner as the one Dev has time to do it.

I for one would still like a clear statement that....

• Recognises the issues and the frustration
    • Explains how we've gotten here and why the site relaunched in this state
    • Outlines clearly the priorities to be addressed, in order, with realistic timelines to completion
    • Explains what REAL benefits the community will see from all this. Vague promises of better reliability, and reminders about how hard it was for the staff to support the old site aren't enough
    • Anything else they'd like to add to improve (and indeed repair the damage done to) the engagement with the community and improve transparency going forward generally

@Boards.ie: Odhran / @Boards.ie: Niamh - over to you!

Thanks again only time I'd have seen that is when this or another thread rolled over to a new page. Even went looking on the home page and nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Guess today’s feedback is just going to be the banner so.

should change the strap line from now your talking to now your ignored.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

• Advertisement

apologies to damien zaph and el gato was just doing the same 😊

apologies no email address seen when profile public by general public/non subscribers

pm still allowed as stated above if signed in even if profile you are sending it to is private.

if your profile is private general public/non subs see nothing..(a grimancing emoji)

if your profile is public..then your

username/star thingy/joined date

visits to site no./last activeroles/points

/post total all seen by general public/non subscribers

promote/like/spam/abuse can be clicked on at the moment... like goes to posts/comments. Cant find a user with the others yet to check.

discussions and comments allow all the public/non subscribers to see everything you have EVER posted in one place.

Not seen when user profile is public by the general public/ non suscribers notifications and moderation

Edit: all above checked on the mobile not the desktop site incase different.

Post edited by speckle on

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.

Advertisement