Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 149th Open Championship thread

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,527 ✭✭✭✭walshb

The arrogance/ignorance seems to be from the U.S. side.....a jealousy I guess...and they troll the Brits to vent.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭krattapopov

The name of this tournament is the Open Championship. The R&A are consciously making the decision to promote this brand, it is the only major outside of the US and they want to play to that strength. They are also looking to move it around and before long (next 10 years) it's quite likely they will be back to Ireland and maybe even move into Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

As someone from the mainland UK I can tell you that everyone always called it the “British Open” whether that was the correct name or not.

It’s nothing to be getting worked up about in any case.

On the other hand “Champion Golfer the of the Year” is pretentious bullsh*t

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I heard a rumour that The Open is looking at potentially using Portmarnock in the coming years and that this is why they had the vote for the Female members. Now this was just chat on a golf course but you never know.

I think next year at St Andrews will be a massive year for the tournament. Attendance records will be broke etc. 150th year celebrations. Will be a big one.

And you'll have the ignoramuses calling it the Irish&British Open then...or the British&Irish Open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭IAmTitleist

Couldn't disagree with this post any more.

The Open's stature is not declining.

I don't believe you. Not everyone calls it by a name that it is not. There are as many people that call it by its correct title as there who incorrectly call it. I mean, it's not like folks can claim to be unsure or confused. It's always been The Open Championship.

There is talk of the British Open coming back to Portrush in few years time. Hope so. It was great up there last time.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Ally McIntosh

I am not sure where you get the idea that The Open is in decline? If anything, it is growing in stature.

Calling Royal St. George’s a weak course is just wrong. It is one of the greatest courses out there and the best in England for my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I wouldn't call Royal St George's a weak course or anything, but it wouldn't rank very highly on my list of Open venues. Just not enough stand out holes on it for my money, compared to, say, Carnoustie or Turnberry or, even, St Andrews. But they're all the same in that you need a bit of wind or worse to see them at their best and that told a bit last week, just the way it goes sometime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

The 18th is certainly lacking in terms of drama and potential jeopardy and we as fans watching want the 18th to have OB left, water all down the right and the green surrounded by shark infested waters to make sure there's always some final hole drama!

I think that's natural as a spectator but a golf course is 18 holes and a tournament 72, so the greatest tribute to a course is the leaderboard and the guys who come out on top. And St George's certainly identified the best most inform players this year.

It's also the scene of a Greg Norman masterclass and Darren Clarke is one of the best links players of the last 20 years.

Fair enough Ben Curtis won there, but I'm hoping to get to play it someday and then I'll decide for myself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

On the Open v British Open debate, I'm currently reading Tom Coyne's latest book 'A Course called America' recounting him playing a lot of the most famous courses in the US including all the courses that have hosted the US Open, and it is interesting that he refers to those courses as being 'Open' Courses, as well as US Open courses. Now Tom is someone who would be acutely aware of the sensitivities around naming conventions. He would certainly call the British Open the 'Open Championship' but as an American he also refers to his own national championship as the Open.

By the way, I'd disagree with the poster above who stated that the (British) Open is in decline. Far from it I'd say. The branding and marketing around The Open is everywhere now. It's never been so popular. Remember it's not so long ago that some of the top American players would skip The Open for various reasons, travel, etc. That doesn't happen now.

On RSG, for -15 to be the winning score in such a benign week weather wise, it shows you that the course can't be that weak!

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Scott Tenorman

People generally don’t use official names in normal conversation. Nobody calls the top English soccer league as the “FA Premier League” and it’s no big deal that they don’t. Don’t know why you’re getting so worked up about it TBH

I am not worked up....

Why would someone be worked up when simply discussing the naming of a golf tournament?

It seems people replying and responding are worked up...as that is what they keep saying in replies....

I simply called it as ignorant for people to call The Open the British Open. It is incorrect.

I also have no idea what your point is as regards people not using official names when speaking. It has no bearing on this issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭HoliyMoliy

18th hole definitely lacks a bit compared to other Open venues over the years.

Morikawa is some player.

Great to Jordan Spieth back on form. Won’t Be long before he adds to his major tally.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Has anyone tried to enter the ballot for next years Open. Have clicked on the link multiple times and tried different browsers but it falls over every time you get to the submit button

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Didn’t have this issue but I can’t login or reset my password for the last 3/4 days so maybe there is an issue with the site?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭coillcam

Worked fine for me on Monday. Try a different web browser. Also if you're in the office or on a VPN for work it's possible that part of the website is being blocked by the firewall/web filter - use your mobile or home connection instead. This happens quite often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Worked for me just there. (Obvs won't know until later though if my application is successful)

Advertisement