Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

According to Pearce that's exactly what is happening...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,674 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Especially considering we're going to lose two strikers in January for the African Cup

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I think we are only losing them for 1 PL match if the fixtures stay the same....

Rare interview with a giraffe :

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

Testing testing..

took me ages to find this thread⚽️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

How do you follow it now ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

ahhh wtf is goin on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Agent Coulson must have got lost in the change over!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭lenny palmer

Click on the little star on the top right of the page. It should be highlighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

Anyone listen to Virgil talking one to one on the bbc football daily podcast. Released yesterday I think. Comes across as a genuinely down to earth guy. Decent interview about his life outside of football and his growth in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

A midfielder is essential imo. Gini played nearly every game last season because he was the only one who's fitness is 100% reliable.

Obviously another decent quality attacker would add a lot, but with Salah, Mane, Bobby, Jota, Taku and Elliot, we can live without another attacker if it's the difference between us getting a midfielder or not.

It's gonna come down to who we can sell and for what. Deals very late in the window wouldn't surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Commenting to stay on Liverpool tictok.... I mean boards!

Who's idea was it to put this in groups and not sports? it feels like I have been looking for it since the star t of lockdown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ironically, I actually unintentionally did the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

All quiet at the minute but i agree with the sentiment, we wouldn't have let Gini go if we didn't have a shopping list already.

Guess we'll see some more movement soon.

Also does anyone else think our preseason is a lot more low key than previous seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Think it’s largely a repeat of last years preseason in the same place. Makes sense to keep travel to a minimum given that it’s a huge entourage to bring around, and we are still in the middle of a pandemic with skyrocketing case numbers. Not to mention all the various travel bans and quarantines in place.

I’d say Klopp’s happy out not to be doing any big globetrotting ticket selling promotional nonsense, instead just spending lots of time on the training field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Great, finally found it.

Not sure what's going on here tbh... 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭Ken Tucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭FluffPiece

FUBAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

At 19 seconds into that video, I was convinced Matip injured himself yet again, doing a **** dance. Then I realised it was just part of the routine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

finding this is harder than qualifying for the champions league

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Some worrying talk coming out about a new contract not being agreed with Henderson and he may be moved on if a deal is not struck.

He still has 2 years on his deal, but still. I thought he was going to see out his playing days at the club, eventually taking on the Milner role. Players, and people, like him are needed at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Here's my take,

Saul should be the direct replacement for Gini like for like , but can he play as a 6 ? Gini done that at times for us and we need someone who is capable to fill in when Fab & Hendo get there yearly injury ,

Then we get rid of Shaq, Origi, Takki , ( also one of OX or Naby but won't happen )

So that would leave us with probably still needing an AM ,ST , Inside forward

Why not get Couthino on the cheap , He can do both AM & Inside forawrd, knows the club inside out and knows how we play,

They we can spend on a CF,

Where you reading that?

I seriously doubt that is the case tbh, sounds like absolute paper tosh...

Just reading it now, great start to my summer holidays, I'm going back to bed to cry... 😭

What’s the gist of it for those of us that don’t have access ?

They need to clear out a few on the non homegrown squad players this summer.

Ali, Adrian, VVD, Robbo, Konate, Matip, Tsimikas, Thiago, Fab, Naby, Jota, Mane, Salah, Bobby that's 14 of the 17 allowed.

Minamino, Shaq, Origi, Grujic are the others that bring the number to 18 and the ones most likely to be sold.

I'm kind of surprised Adrian was given a one deal since he is taking up a spot that might be better suited to getting an outfield player, They could surely have signed a journeyman English keeper as 3rd choice if needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Ottoman_1000

Basically Henderson will be 33 when his contract runs up and FFS with their youth policy see no value in offering him a larger deal at this stage. There is a big worry within FSG that they are in danger of letting our golden crop of players over the last few years just basically grow old together on huge contracts at the club. VVD, Henderson, Salah, Mane, Bobby and Thiago are all either 30 or turning 30 this season and all on big money. In hindsight I think the Thiago singing was a bad one considering he was also put on the higher wage list too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Everton signing Andros Townsend is a throwback to when we needed a winger to step up a gear and Benitez was signing the likes of Pennant and Riera

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Good excuse though as to not have to sign anyone. Adrian taking up one of these spots aswell as Kelleher not being loaned is madness I think.

The days of fleecing Bournemouth and Palace for our deadwood are gone unfortunately.

Not many takers for those we deem dispensable. Prospective clubs are now sitting tight as they know our "sale only, no more loan" stance will change come deadline day. Club won't want to be stuck with Wilson, Grujic, Ojo, Awoniyi for instance, they will for sure sanction another loan deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

David Ornstein's written a piece in the Athletic saying that there's some suggestion Henderson might move on.

I don't have a subscription but he mentions it on his twitter here.

His current deal runs to 2023, and he's suggesting there's a possibility that he'd be sold next year, or leave on a free the year after.

Contract talks have supposedly been started, but the club's prioritising the likes of Ali and Salah.

I definitely think Henderson should not only retire at Liverpool, but ideally join the backroom staff once he does. He seems like such a huge presence in the squad, even when he's not playing. I'd say the same about Milner. It surely has an impact on the young lads seeing Jimmy Milner obliterate the tests at the start of pre-season every year at the age of 35.

We're going to see a pretty big turnover of players, especially in the front 6 positions, over the next 3 years, and probably lose Klopp as well. Some stability in leadership positions in the squad seems like a good idea in that context.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I found it !! 😀

First time finding this forum since the change! Looked a few days ago and couldn't find it. New site is a bit of a pain to navigate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

That Henderson stuff is surely bollocks.

• Advertisement

Poch and PSG interested this summer in Hendo according to that article.

Straight swap for Mbappe?

I wouldn't want to see Hendo go myself sign him up to a lifetime contract.

To be fair to him, he wanted David Silva and Dani Alves. He got Riera and Pennant.

I did have a soft spot for Riera though, some dribbler. Would’ve been great as a squad player.

I'm starting to think it's coming from his agent's side, pushing for a new contract. Well maybe more hoping so anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

What’s Henderson’s injury record like? Is it comparable to Milner.

I have the feeling Henderson been injured a lot more so I can’t see him fulfilling the Milner role for cover. Although he’d be playing less.

Id still keep him though but it’s not my money 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The whole thing is a nightmare to even get to this stage of paper / twitter talk,m

He is not just our captain , he is our leader, i just don't see the thinking behind this. he is literally the glue that keeps the squad and them together , We could sell him & bring in a better player & still be worse off for it,

You can literally see what his presence does to our team, We just don't get them relentless aggressive displays form the team without him

Surely Jurgen has earned the ability to make 1 or 2 calls overriding the board & for him not to be insisting his captains future is put in place must be a worry for Jordan ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

well this new site is hell but i've finally found you

now to see if my gifs still work...

phew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 775 ✭✭✭RonanG86

The Athletic article is full of speculative nonsense like "The market" has been alerted to the "fact" that Henderson could be available because something something Wijnaldum, yet #FSGOut is trending on Twitter and if you disagree with the people peddling it, you get told you're not a real Liverpool fan.

And when he signs an extension, they'll all think it was down to them demanding Henry's head a on a plate, and not something that was going to happen anyway.

Would the fact that we're even beginning talks 2 years from the end of his current deal not suggest the club want to retain him? No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

He's 31.

FSG are moneyball.

Unfortunately, I'd say it's on the money because they're too stupid to realise sports science has moved on. 31 is not fúcking old.

That whole Athletic article reads like they sat down with Hendo's agent and then wrote it trying to not make it look like they talked to his agent.

It would not surprise me if PSG did ring Hendo's agent and say hey fancy a move to Paris and £350k a week and this is his agents way of getting Hendo, Salah & Thiago money especially as the captain that brought he League title back to Anfield after 30 years.

Which he should rightly be on.

They, and more importantly people like Michael Edwards, don’t seem stupid though. And they don’t seem dogmatically attached to unbreakable rules. If anything, they’ve always seemed the opposite - welcoming of broad philosophies, but also malleable enough to evolve and make things work.

For instance they’ve made ‘Moneyball’ signings when it fit, and they’ve gone for big money guaranteed quality when it fit.

The broad idea that everyone can’t be allowed to age out at once is obvious, but it’s also common sense that you pick and choose those older lads who need to be kept, and sell/release the rest. The very fact that they gave Thiago a big money 4 year deal proves that age alone is not a deal-breaker.

With contract talks starting 2 years from the end of his deal, Hendo would appear to be in the ‘keep’ camp. Think this story is just part of the negotiation-behind-the-negotiation that’s fairly commonplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,269 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Was about to say that myself, it's actually pains me still to think of how many times Rafa was forced into the basement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Even Gareth Barry would’ve been a brilliant signing at the time we were linked with him, obviously not at the cost of losing Alonso but we ended up replacing him with Aquaman so Barry would’ve been a huge improvement and a leader in the dressing room.

So many missed opportunities, but I can’t really blame any player for refusing a move to Liverpool with the owners we had those days, and that’s only when they actually stumped up the cash for a transfer fee to even get to that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's a difference between a player like Salah getting to 30-odd and Henderson.

Since 14-15, where he made 54 appearances, Hendo has made 26, 27, 41, 44, 40, 28 appearances in all competitions.

He'll presumably be looking for 150k+, he'll probably want a contract to 2025.

Any decision to keep him until he's 35+ won't be just made on the basis of his on-pitch contributions, and as far as sports science goes, I would imagine the club is quite aware that he's not the most reliable player in the squad fitness-wise, although obviously not on the level of Keita, Sturridge, or what have you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,614 ✭✭✭Damien360

We are a very different unit when Hendo plays. He’s not the most skilful and certainly not the most creative but what he does bring is a motivation to the team when he’s on the pitch and a solidity. Slows it down somewhat but we seem less like headless chickens when he is present. I don’t think it’s as night and day for stats with him on the pitch vs not playing as let’s say Grealish influence on Villa, but it certainly feels that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,694 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

If they want to sell an over 30 player to trim the wages, by all means take Thiago, but for the love of God, keep Jordan!

• Advertisement
Advertisement