Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How do you get into the IT industry without experience?

• 19-07-2021 11:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I did a computer systems and networks course fetac level 5 only done first year cause I failed a couple of modules programming and maths. Done work experience in Camara refurbishing computers , maintaining the computers and cleaning etc. After the course did basic technical support broadband / telephone and the ended up in unrelated areas and worked in the airport for a couple of years. Now I've have the Comptia A+ recently I'm fully certified aiming to get Network+ next. Is there any other certs or anything else I can do to get into the IT industry? as in level 1 helpdesk or service desk without experience

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Have you found any roles online that you feel you couldn't apply for already? If you're set on getting more certs, I'd first look at what quals these roles list as required or desirable

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Mysteriouschic1

I've applied to some either got no reply or rejected, a lot ask for degrees and experience . The certs is more something to do in the meantime until I get the job I'll still continue working towards the cert.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭floorpie

Are you applying for roles relevant to your experience? "Experience" doesn't always have to mean "experience in paid employment". For example the Civil Service recently had a recruitment campaign for IT executive officers, and it specified that "experience" could come from education. This campaign is over but it's worth keeping your eye on publicjobs.ie

If you don't have relevant experience then you'll likely need to get some in your spare time, e.g. if you failed your programming module but are applying for dev roles, perhaps you can do a small solo project based on tutorials online, udemy courses, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

OP, as a time saver I'd probably skip N+ and go straight for CCNA. Windows 11 is almost out, any certs available in that yet? I'm just checking what I did back in the day and I have a MCITP and MCP in Win 7 - I'd assume there are equivalents.

As for how to get a start? I got lucky and a local "one man band" had an ad on a jobsite. Money was shocking but it was a start and it stood me well for my next step.

Is CCNA more accepted? I haven't seen anything in windows 11 yet I'm comfortable with all OS mac, linux, windows.

I see some asking for Microsoft certs or active directory or even office 365. I done a small part with servers in active directory during the course a couple years ago setting up a basic account on a domain I'm comfortable with all software the only one I'd need to over is excel never used it often .

• Advertisement

i've applied for the things i'm able for not too into the development side of computers more the networking helpdesk admin side.I haven't worked in helpdesk for IT yet and the jobs I done before were unrelated not sure if thats why i.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Maybe things have changed but in my experience, yes a CCNA holds more weight than N+

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jorexy

Look for IT recruitment sites like indeed.com or monster.com. Additionally, may want to take an online course about a certain topic in the IT industry. For example, Coursera offers a free online IT Course called Python Programming for Everybody which would introduce someone with no experience to this programming language that is used extensively in the development of software. The MIT OpenCourseWare site also provides courses on computer programming languages such as C++ from MIT and many more!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,991 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

hi OP

I'd go back to the basic technical support like you did before and try working your way up.

Demonstrate there that you can do more than just read from a script, then try and move up the ranks.

Getting certs is all well and good but I think they are actually better for people who have IT industry experience and want to affirm that by getting a qualification. So that when they look for a new position or promotion they can say "I have x years experience in Linux and y Linux certifications to go with it"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

Loads of companies like Astreya, EOS, Milestone, etc will get you in the door at the bottom, in logistics, and not on a great wage. But most go on from there. Very little education or experience needed there, but if you do well the world opens up. I know about 3 or 4 guys who started out in these 4-5 years ago on less than 30k, that are on near 100k now.

For example: https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/2562798125

• Advertisement

The technical support I done before was more billing , broadband etc there wasn't level 1 or level 2 more call centre style.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭sprucemoose

i really dont want to come across as sarcastic or a dick, but its 'i did' not 'i done'. any potential employers etc, will disregard you straight away if they see that

Yeah I know I actually had it as that at first changed it overthinking it

I had a look at that seems alright I'll give that a shot thanks

Advertisement